Ranged Defense Arsenal/Arsenal Build Optimization

DrHappy85

Long time lurker, first time poster.

Hoping to get some advise on optimizing my specific Arsenal/Arsenal build.  I almost posted this on one of the other threads, but since my build is kind of specific I thought it might be best in its own thread.  None of the other builds posted seemed to cover my goals so I am trying my hand at posting my own.  I am open to optimizations I probably missed.

Build Goals:

Perma Dom

Ranged Defense

Other survivability (-ToHit)

Procs to get the damage up

Playstyle:

I wanted to focus on ranged abilities keeping mobs away from me to utilize ranged defense.  I dont need a travel power so I skipped selecting one.

DrHappy Dominator (Arsenal Control - Arsenal Assault).mbd

Here's mine.  Not sure if it's what you're looking for.  I'm still in my lvl 40s and haven't begun placing sets for my toon's enhancements, but I think I'll be good with it.
I don't have Power Up toggled on in this shared build, so toggle it on to see improved stats.
I enjoy my toon using the weapon, so I chose most of the Assault powers.
The Incarnate Alpha (Cardiac), Destiny (Ageless), and Hybrid (Support) all help with the Arse/Arse endurance issues.

Arsenal Control Arsenal Assault Mace Mastery Dominator.mbd

Edited by seaborndan
Forgot to add personal reasons for some info.

Thanks for the reply,  the Alpha slot was something I debated as well.  I ended up with Intuition because its increased survivability (-ToHit, and Hold) seemed too good to pass up even though this build clearly has endurance issues.  

Something to note though in your build, you should at least put a performance shifter(chance for +end)  in one of your stamina slots which will help a bit with endurance since it performs better than just another endmod.  

@DrHappy85

You need more attacks.

The toggles you got, even excluding sprint and spirit ward, is on the heavier side and I would not be surprised if you are addicted to blue pills or recovery serums.

I think your emphasis on defense is misplaced on dominators, especially with an OP set like Arsenal control where you have the best stealth in the game in cloaking device, can open each fight with your confuse grenade as an alpha without retaliation. You have the toolbox to get the drop on mobs without them fighting back, and if mobs are dominated your defense does nothing for you. Cloaking device means you are not going to alert adjacent packs when you fight, so the only time I see range defense being a factor is ambushes that ignore your stealth and those are very rare.

But those comments aside the biggest concern I have for the build is the lack of attacks.

Edited by Nemu
  • Like 1

Liberty, Torchbearer, Excelsior, Everlasting

Jezebel Delias

Level 50 Fire/Elec/Mace Blaster

I am the Inner Circle!

40 minutes ago, Nemu said:

lack of attack

I definitely agree on the defense focus! All of my doms these days eschew defense almost entirely. Gotta have confidence in those controls!

I think the attacks are fine though. Burst is actually a pretty decent little guy. Between this, Elbow Strike, Sniper, and Ignite, ST is looking good.

Update - closer look - why is elbow strike one slotted? This is a waste. Take it and give it love or skip it entirely. Same for Ignite. You've taken good attacks, but only slotted a few enough to be worth using.

Flash bang is your staple control, and not only needs to be taken much earlier, but also wants to be fully slotted. This is also a significant aoe damage tool if procced.

Aoe is workable as well. Buckshot is efficient and on a quick cooldown. Most likely this will be the staple. I still have Trip Mine on my Arse/Arse, but am considering dropping it. It just doesn't feel good, despite being fairly average for a dom pbaoe. For me the downside comes from its psuedopet nature limiting proccability and keeping it from inheriting global accuracy benefits.

That being said, epic aoes are a big upgrade for almost any dom. The primary limiting factor on my own arse/arse was theme. I wish we had a shooty epic set that didn't involve mace blasts.

Edited by Onlyasandwich
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Onlyasandwich said:

I think the attacks are fine though

I believe you were looking at seaborndan's build, not the original build posted by DrHappy85. I have not given the former a thorough run through 😀

I have edited my previous post to clarify who I was addressing.

Edited by Nemu
  • Thumbs Up 1

Liberty, Torchbearer, Excelsior, Everlasting

Jezebel Delias

Level 50 Fire/Elec/Mace Blaster

I am the Inner Circle!

2 hours ago, Nemu said:

seaborndan's build

Yep! I wasn't paying attention. 

Feedback on actual OP's build:

• It looks like you may be going for a ranged only approach. While this is not ideal, it's workable if the theme is very important. If theme is not important, /Fiery has better possibilities for ranged only. If you keep it as is, give Burst some love. It's a good attack, and can be maxed out decently enough with only a couple more slots. Honestly though, give melee a chance! The melee attacks are far more powerful.
  • I see you chose Arcane Bolt for ST here. While it's a good power, Leaning into a properly slotted burst would both save a power choice and be more slot efficient. I question how much utility you will get out of Spirit Ward as well. The main reason to invest this much in Sorcery is to pick up Rune, which you have not done.
  • You should pick up some aoe! Buckshot doesn't do huge damage, but is decent DPA and can take FFback. The KD tax is a bit annoying. At least grab this, and possibly an epic aoe. Trip Mine is usable, but not my personal favorite. I see that you have procced Sleep Grenade, which is nice, but by no means a substitute for staple attacks.
  • As @Nemu mentioned, going all out on ranged defense isn't really necessary with so many powerful controls at hand. You are sacrificing end sustainability and a significant amount of damage in pursuit of this.
  • Even with Spirit Ward and Sprint off. you have .94 end/sec positive. Domination injections will be nowhere near enough to keep you above water. Ideally you want to shoot for 2+ end/sec, though 1.5 could be workable with perma-dom injections if you pace yourself.
  • Liquid Nitrogen doesn't proc well - these slots are not giving you a great return.

I encourage you to drop the ranged defense focus entirely, and shift your slotting more towards efficient attacks, proc opportunities, and keeping to an epic resist of your preference. I would drop the fighting pool as well.

Ranged softcap is otherwise achievable in a more end sustainable package. If you are committed to it, I think Psi epic is a good choice as you have here, but I would rework your strategy to exclude fighting and incorporate a better attack chain. 

Here is a start for where I would go if 100% committed to ranged only powers, ranged softcap, and staying with Arsenal Assault.

Dominator (Arsenal Control - Arsenal Assault) ranged version.mbd

It could still use some iteration, as end is not quite where I would want it.

Noteworthy differences:

• FFback incorporated into your aoes, an actual aoe attack chain. I have FFback toggled on atm - bear  in mind when reviewing numbers. Permadom does not rely on FFback.
  • Excellent slow resists - key for keeping perma dom up in tricky scenarios.
  • 1.85 end/sec positive - should be pretty workable.
  • Higher damage single target chain. Note that I have decimation buildup proc in burst (not toggled on). You'll be leaning on burst a lot for ST damage, so will benefit from a minimum clamped 10% chance of this to fire, turning a typically not proc worthy power into a decent contender for this particular proc.
  • Resists are not far off your build, and don't rely on tough. You still have rune of protection as a great steroid when needed, and even a good tool to get you out of mez if you get caught with your dom pants down.

Here's my own arse/arse for comparison, which cares not a whit for defense, and doubles down on procs and more damage wherever possible.

Dominator (Arsenal Control - Arsenal Assault) mk2.mbd

I plan on redoing this without trip mine, but it's a good point of comparison for how much value the melee attacks bring.

Edited by Onlyasandwich
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Nemu @Onlyasandwich Thank you for the replies.  You provided me exactly what I am looking for, and gave me to food for thought with my concept as a whole.  I am going to do some testing and try out both builds.  You are probably right on my over reliance on ranged defense, I will make some game play adjustments when trying these out. Thanks again for the great reply.

• Like 1