QOL suggestion for Chat visiblity!

Something I've noted is the colored hash for the chat in the logs, is that could potentially be extended to color the chat input of every player.

I was wondering if an option to colorize in select channels, such as emote and local channels would be possible. I understand the chat system is mostly older style HTML in design and might be able to be changed in the game coding for presenting colored text to all channels.

If this is the case, would italics or bold also be an option to enable client side or in the in-game chat settings? Perhaps even a monochrome option for those that are color blind?

I had originally thought to attempt to put together a client side only mod to do this but after talking to a friend with developer experience, he suggested bringing the idea to yall here since it may be something small that can be changed server side but not something able to be done with modding the game files.

This change would be a boon for people with reading disorders and colorblindness.

I mocked up an example of what I was conceptualizing for the change.

image.png.566b9e96c83000a0ab97d29b73402c22.png

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

Roleplaying mentor volunteer, and mentorship contributor.

Chatrange Popmenu/Where to find me/Beginners Links

blinkiesCafe-Ov.gif.461b52017365412a34160eb002f74cfe.gif

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Laucianna said:

I do like it but I think the only issue would be: It would become confusing which chat is being used, is it team chat? League chat? General chat? Atm the colours help make it clear what chat is being used at a glance

Well I was thinking maybe just local and emote could have the colorized extension in the channels visible to help folks track their posts and responses better. Given the global channels can all be colored by choice, this idea would effect those that are not able to be modified by player choice. Local, emote and possibly combat logging as well.

The trouble is to mod it, I'd have to know the specific channels name, emote has none and appears as an unlabeled channel on chat logs and that could require some sketchy code work that I don't think would be permissible by the staff of homecoming for a mod maker to do. By giving the players a choice to turn on and off the colorized chat option, and having it only effect emote and local, this would keep the regular global channels uneffected by result.

Edited by Crystal Dragon
grammaaars
  • Like 1

Roleplaying mentor volunteer, and mentorship contributor.

Chatrange Popmenu/Where to find me/Beginners Links

blinkiesCafe-Ov.gif.461b52017365412a34160eb002f74cfe.gif

12 minutes ago, Crystal Dragon said:

Well I was thinking maybe just local and emote could have the colorized extension in the channels visible to help folks track their posts and responses better. Given the global channels can all be colored by choice, this idea would effect those that are not able to be modified by player choice. Local, emote and possibly combat logging as well.

The trouble is to mod it, I'd have to know the specific channels name, emote has none and appears as an unlabeled channel on chat logs and that could require some sketchy code work that I don't think would be permissible by the staff of homecoming for a mod maker to do. By giving the players a choice to turn on and off the colorized chat option, and having it only effect emote and local, this would keep the regular global channels uneffected by result.

I fully support it being an option people can turn on ❤️ The more accessible the game is to people the better!

• Like 1