Sentinels.. who's an expert, I want to pick your brain

Apologies if this has been discussed on an earlier post, but what are Sentinels, as an AT? Are they, as I was thinking, something unique to I25?

Can anyone talk about them, have an opinion about them etc.?

I put one together, Water Blast/Super Reflexes, just to poke at it and I'm liking this guy so far (level 13 just now). I'd love to hear anything that would help me develop him intelligently.

Thanks!

So, the AT never existed on production prior to CoH's closure. My understanding is that the AT was something the original CoH team was trying out, possibly on an internal test server as I don't recall seeing it on the public test server either (I played on it a fair bit, esp when the new powers were announced that never saw light of day).

From a build/play perspective, I'd think of it as a ranged scrapper. The "opportunity" mechanic is interesting but I haven't tested the numbers on it.

One word of caution - the things from the i25 binaries that came out of the death of city of heroes are not in the i24 code, and it does not appear anyone has the actual i25 source code that contains the i25 enhancements. My wild guess is that whoever gave out the code happened to have a backup of i24 master/mainline code but not binaries, and a copy of some internal i25 test build but not the development branch with it. The end result is: if/when the various teams standing up servers are allowed to continue, they almost certainly will focus on moving forward with i24 as a base. If they do that, it's likely you will not be able to play with characters based on i25 content unless they leave those servers up (or manage to reverse engineer the i25 powersets/content).

I have heard differently... what we have is what we will have. This means all ATs etc that were not in the "live" i24 beta. When the game was "re-launched" they decided to include this stuff in the current build as well as any future build. When I say they... I mean Homecoming... as for any of the other private servers I have no idea what they may or may not be doing.

So, the AT never existed on production prior to CoH's closure. My understanding is that the AT was something the original CoH team was trying out, possibly on an internal test server as I don't recall seeing it on the public test server either (I played on it a fair bit, esp when the new powers were announced that never saw light of day).

From a build/play perspective, I'd think of it as a ranged scrapper. The "opportunity" mechanic is interesting but I haven't tested the numbers on it.

One word of caution - the things from the i25 binaries that came out of the death of city of heroes are not in the i24 code, and it does not appear anyone has the actual i25 source code that contains the i25 enhancements. My wild guess is that whoever gave out the code happened to have a backup of i24 master/mainline code but not binaries, and a copy of some internal i25 test build but not the development branch with it. The end result is: if/when the various teams standing up servers are allowed to continue, they almost certainly will focus on moving forward with i24 as a base. If they do that, it's likely you will not be able to play with characters based on i25 content unless they leave those servers up (or manage to reverse engineer the i25 powersets/content).

I have a assault/willpower sentinel.  They're scrappers.  Scrappers that don't care if something runs away or gets knocked back because ranged.

Yeah, I was getting that impression. My main is a BS/Regen scrapper, and when you add vet rewards powers like Blackwand or Nemesis Staff it played similar.

Interesting! I didn't think it was in I24, but I didn't check out every new thing that was added then. It has the feel of what folks used to call Blappers, starting from the melee side instead of the ranged side.

I put one together yesterday with the Water Blast powerset and so far this character has been a lot of fun to run.

The Opportunity thing seems like the Combinations I had on my DB scrapper, but I guess there's no documentation on how it actually works/should be played. That said, if it turns up, I'd like a look! :)

I'm not too worried about future availability, I'm operating in a live-in-the-Now mode with this whole amazing development of having CoH to play at all. :)

Thanks for the helpful response!