assist me with psi/dark, plz

LKN-351

I'm working on building this character, I just ran the missions for Multidimensional and Shrouded with this setup.

The Shaded One - Brute (Psionic Melee - Dark Armor).mbd

It's far from finished but I thought I'd test it out. I haven't picked up the IOs I wanted for CJ or CoD so its just slotted for plain Def. I thought I'd run through these missions to get some cash and drops to sell and pick up what I still lacked.

I ran at +1/5 but I couldn't defeat Nightstar solo so I took it to  0/+5. Versus the Hydra he faired ok-ish, but versus the BCUs it was the edge of death with each mob. Definitely needs more recharge and I added the LotG into CoD after I got tired of the missions.

I was ok fighting the groups if I popped a def or resist inspiration beforehand, but even then still had to use the heal more often fighting the BCUs.

I went to mids to try and see if I could come up with something I was happy with and this is what I ended up with.

The Shaded One revised - Brute (Psionic Melee - Dark Armor).mbd

I used the alternate slotting to try out some options on a lot of the powers so you might look at that too when browsing the build. The recovery seems to work real well if it stays over 3.60/s with the discounts from Unbreakable. I don't want to use purple sets or any more PVP IOs than I already have.

I'm going for better survivability, more damage, and haste a bit higher than 127%.

I'm still trying to understand why to do 'this' rather than 'that' when building.

I read elsewhere that the +dmg from set bonuses isn't the way to go about adding damage and the BCUs primarily have ranged attacks so I tried to add ranged defenses and moved some slots around to get some different bonuses that would be helpful. I thought about dropping one of the powers from the epic pools but then I wasn't happy about where the recovery was. The only power I can live without really would be recall but but because Haste is required on any build I have the allowed amount of pool powers maxed out already so I can't add manuevers.

My brain is melting.

The Shaded One revised again - Brute (Psionic Melee - Dark Armor).mbd

I do not have access to Mids right now, but I do have a Psi/Dark Brute, and she is a beast I feel, especially with Psi mastery Epic. I will add my build for you to take a look over. I am not sure how much purples I tossed in or some Winter's so you results may be different and investment of course.

• Thumbs Up 1

Psicy Chill - Ice/Psi/Psi | Sive Ni Brielan - Plant/Earth/Fire | Elemental Elder Lord - Earth/Fire/Fire | Selinia Baneheart - Dark/Therm/Fire | Mylia Stenetch - Necro/Dark/Soul | Radiated Shot - Rad/Arch/Mace | Nameless Witch - Storm/Water/Mu | Phantom Racer - Fire/Cold/Scorp | Neera Darkspar - Beam/Temp/Soul | Neera Etra - Dark/SR | Shieldbreaker - Elec/Shield/Mu | Frozen Tombstress Ice/Rad/Ice | Subliminal Darkness - Psi/Dark/Psi | Mirana Darkblade - Katana/Regen/Soul | Máistir Fiach - SoA Huntmaster | Night Reaver - SoA Widow | Sweet Senpai - SoA Bane

Posted (edited)

Okay, I took a look over the new one you put up, a couple things I noted for the build. I think you are a bit light on KB protection with 8 I can count. You probably want 10-12 points of protection most times.

With physical perfection and superior conditioning, you do not need to 3x slotted unless you are chasing the set bonuses. I would toss just a +End proc, and not worry much about end. I like concentrate on my builds as +to-hit and +dam is gonna help a lot against some end game enemies. The focus more on resistance, is better overall than chasing def, I like the plan for that, as without DDR def will only hold up so much. I would also not sleep on Oppressive Gloom, it is a mag 2 stun with minimal slotting or end requirement, it can help out when times get hairy.

I am not a fan of mental strike, I feel it is very whelming of an attack, might be a slot you can look at an epic attack or something else to compliment. In Psi blade go 5 x Touch of Death, a little extra Res is better than the 1.25% of def. If you have open slots from the end powers, take one and move it into TK Blow for 5x Mako to get some more resistance there, and more damage. I would if possible make those 6x as the def bonus from ToD and Mako will help out more than the small percentage point. Take two slots from CJ and move it to Cloak of Death, and put the Reactive Defense slotting in there instead of Kismet. I tried to keep it out of any extra purples and high end stuff as you mentioned, but just some shifting as seen on the picture, and the file attached for him.

I put in my brute which does include purps, PVP IOs and Winter. So not what you want, but just for reference. I would also look at Psi mastery as the End recovery there is very nice. Also Incarnate if you are going down that train Cardiac is fantastic.

*EDIT*

Forgot to turn off the To-hit proc, so you too hit bonus is not reflective of what it is usually.

Shady redux.png

Brute (Psionic Melee - Dark Armor).mbd The Shaded One dark bugaloo - Brute (Psionic Melee - Dark Armor).mbd

Edited by Snokle

Psicy Chill - Ice/Psi/Psi | Sive Ni Brielan - Plant/Earth/Fire | Elemental Elder Lord - Earth/Fire/Fire | Selinia Baneheart - Dark/Therm/Fire | Mylia Stenetch - Necro/Dark/Soul | Radiated Shot - Rad/Arch/Mace | Nameless Witch - Storm/Water/Mu | Phantom Racer - Fire/Cold/Scorp | Neera Darkspar - Beam/Temp/Soul | Neera Etra - Dark/SR | Shieldbreaker - Elec/Shield/Mu | Frozen Tombstress Ice/Rad/Ice | Subliminal Darkness - Psi/Dark/Psi | Mirana Darkblade - Katana/Regen/Soul | Máistir Fiach - SoA Huntmaster | Night Reaver - SoA Widow | Sweet Senpai - SoA Bane

Posted (edited)

In Superior Conditioning and Physical Perfection I was going for the debuff resist from the set. I'm not sure how much of a percentage is enough on that so I added as many as I could. If that's overkill I'd love to know lol

With Mass Levitate I kept a generic IO in it cause that end usage was still really high with a set in it and coupled with the higher recharge times that power would be in rotation pretty often.... not to mention that soft control is pretty nice lol

I think I've got 5 or 6 respecs saved up on this guy so I'm gunna shoot for a combination of my last revision and the Dark Bugaloo lol

EDIT: I wasn't aware fo that end discount/recov power from PSI mastery, maybe thats the move... I think I'll end up with a dead power slot though either way cause I'm about to steal all the slots from Death Shroud since I can't imagine what to put in its place....maybe concentrate.... I see the utility of a build up power but I've never really used them.

Edited by LKN-351
  • Like 1

Oh yeah, my take on defense.... I personally don't see the point of adding much def to a build without DDR, but everyone has been telling me to do the opossite for some reason that has been explained and makes some sense. Granted I still remember back in the day when WP with its layered def/resist/regen was better than wearing a wet paper bag like it is now, so I still have a tendency to layer things... is that a good idea? I'm still on the fence lol

on that note, I'm undecided whether i should use Steadfast: KB twice or a Steadfast: KB and also a +def. I opted to not use the KB proc in SJ so the double Steadfast KB would be the 12 in KB protection..... granted MIDs tells me its 24 for some reason.

Also, I never realized you could have two of those Steadfast KB protections lol

• Like 1

I will saw Death Shroud is a very strong power and good for fury buildup.

I can understand the end resistance but I think with end and discount from Psi is very nice. Also Touch+End does so much for you too.

I think a mix too is a good way to test some waters and get a better run on what you want. I have done quite a bit of tests on this too from Def heavy to a mix I have now.

I will always kinda keep the mentality of layered defense. Especially if there is not inherant DEF in the build. I will always say leverage what the set is best at. Dark is resist and heal. So those are quality you want.

• Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, Snokle said:

I will saw Death Shroud is a very strong power and good for fury buildup.

I WANT to use Death Shroud, but it's such a heavy drain of end on an armour set that's already end heavy... I was dissapointed to find that there wasn't really a set that got its end/s low. Scirrocos Dervish wasn't bad but I had it's set bonus with energy resist capped.

End management on dark armour is tough lol but dark looks pretty good

i use 4 pts of KB prot and 99% time am fine.  i fly so KB is less of an issue.  

Dark Armor should be pumped for resist sd much as possible.  then use the stun/fear/non suppressed stealth to deal with trash mobs.  You can build for def, but there is no defense debuff resistance, so i prefger the "faux defense" and high resist values.  Yes, orange insp are your friends.  I like rune of prot on late game builds.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

my mids is no longer working after downloading your build.

I will say my psi/dark is a blast and does very well.  After I figure what is wrong i will post the build and look over yours.

this new update to mids is a pain... now I cannot export the datachnk in a link, sorry it is failing tonight

|MBD;24916;1485;1980;BASE64;|
|G1NhIKyKx/lXLKSkJLigx4yXS5GuPbUmUx6NA2GSNB2D/fbXboeRGJKlq691WEC66nS|
|R8tXLAm2BofQL/8KcqUo67UrSbt6WYj/Q0r1FhCYNifLXbWvVMgVUojDuMh2gAlBUs0|
|E5O8S4p5Shy8gwRQBDpMDPROHvou1xXmZoKDM/E2cWNDWESHOHFPMCWyr6Wb5I7/SK6|
|HcK8W4fXFeBoW3+XDGM4yWI/OoCjzvX9wHUkEYKhETHgfsp59vIEufldacWgxJSgzv8|
|XEDe7ivevRIcK1mCISWS5HQ5tJagebbrpOfxncYRJRS7o3C7o9LQH6tcQWphu4ufg/w|
|ABo3c5tRwrff9pU+bpUSS5tYVwDhjlA7p9LBto1zB0j5W68q6XSeN2UXlXOv/oY5ROZ|
|4SfGndTDS1wdhS+xPGpjtS71LS7i3YghuzYQ23bfuZUE4eEOtxPmjSWGL27Dw6Jc1Y9|
|RbF6Jg5ovqaBbpZxTZlo+/d4li9c9Dzl0VOlTJ1e7Neu4QjwVe5IrsCDKzzkBqPzNj7|
|0ul0zefSVkC78l1A5nI20HQmC3oLlADLAfWruTgEe3gw+9e43uc91PeM7zXwTS9Bf84|
|8Fvgf0vS62AQ577/M/hM9FsExQRGxFBwHKOZ78XNxJ01d52vBqdXX+qMS1+c+pNaDWx|
|8NeSUbwENnpbc6KSh/BCaQIhSTiYyoMj95t2ddJ43f6kytoMW74OMSwWz/hOS5K85ds|
|gb4jmRWdwTmk6AIuctYcEhjzd4j0FZzEwN0ZqYuMhfRhykb63EPZLHaJa7hz/An+Cs+|
|LxS5KaSW7UR4LThloFPIK7Y+El/uBTcFIRhdwcbpr9vRbzJ2cV/9OWtj7UY/FfA/0ES|
|u8dSrUU0A+CYwIqqF7wDFfE9MwjFNtt5jn9pUHN2V1m6Bw61wuI/opLSXzMRmxqnXM6|
|jMLVbuFywmTSVjzET5YZBjJozq0fsnKH8GJpDSknL2+8p6BoQeycetq4CJYJLhlH8g/|
|F74d2KRczeW/Fqu0E3ExsZXzHIDvevmAWAj2IfsbY2v6IDhmtyT91vO1hT1SNzYltLy|
|U3Ar8zy2vG2kXWuujSsRpNgwgWC9e1+nukwo/BbjZAZnV/fsBpxhe6HZXeA+vQlbV8m|
|A670CKNnRfcQaBwE/Zm3OaFPCLSZee/ZY/ZYahsgfZgWzAYyRvuGY8dktCxl9kPetzj|
|mVJIDDMRtDqVpW9xVVr20C4Uyh5ZtXAEOkPza8Sc3sxXkxqJUjU7kqoC6dlEsn5dLJc|
|glluayVwajZ8sZy3FoN1ToYdC/YfcWTpk01hqESMqNdPzbempIE7kZj1XuT7t/w5YNG|
|T/VDG2PyBD967KY5QVsUR56rm+KbWMIkLBJMEZmIb8EMWAwwTVzm+1MCmRTF+VS2ktr|
|f/jztusNtdoEffL6BWjpN0mmSOItpFbDbzlhHdz+uguQpNLkyUaOITLT8UVCUIBOHLM|
|9+Ga/7pdwEJqHVM0urY2sDrwF/xBU68woutFX1WMcy7NXNrTSklPyMr6YR4zNTtIg0b|
|/t1QPYR104MezymESwdiMbMkgxkTNvdAbZjDVH5KXFgW01JrTO6JzMEdsVWrGKGJVi5|
|MQxsBNvug9P/mLUebqQCD4JH7cjT/xs6TbKWaDFELvDC1GbXfD8nmO2vFbVze/9oyUH|
|8EkR8Npw1XWnvzSFvk7RRrIAY+KJkmMUEam1DnyEM9uTZfYsvGofmA13fwJlPyNz8X6|
|yZyPwvRv+u+62vtIn3s9byrGMjsiR+rdGMztrt8P1er1ow1GzuU1wqBRmfpWCnnOri/|
|B+85bdNza7EjAL/m2C9PEn/zSBNJvBlVYZLcvsT0uzCodZ3MctMLQCKQRRvEf/Hr+gv|
|N66gQSf8y+aGWsOkcf5Kia/G7GLiv7EazGCGQi+os9TEO+o3H9lpPRKtWJ5DJ1ZFEc6|
|n/1g6gTSZGGxipuGXbj3T+P6vPPXoAycStqcB|

On 5/28/2024 at 7:39 PM, LKN-351 said:

Granted I still remember back in the day when WP with its layered def/resist/regen was better than wearing a wet paper bag like it is now, so I still have a tendency to layer things... is that a good idea? I'm still on the fence lol

On a resistance based toon I pump the resistance as high as I reasonably can. Dark Armor has some decent mitigation in Oppressive Gloom, and some more with cloak of fear's fear effect (if you can fit it in and give it enough slotting to reasonably hit). I typically skip Cloak of Fear most of the time but I have it on a couple dark armor toons and it has its use.

Once I have my resistances sorted, I build for slow resistance so dark regen doesn't get slowed down if necessary.

Then I pad defense typically. Which I do that more for pretty much one reason, to dodge debuffs. Sure it won't stop them all, but it helps smooth out the ride.

Recently my dark/stone tank took harmonic mins and that power is a godsend. I'd suggest looking into it if your having end issues.

• Thumbs Up 1

The Oppresive Gloom type power was useful on my WS at one point in time but I want to shore up the armor before I try a power that works like that one lol

Harmonic Mind is a new discovery actually, and once I try out the current iteration of this build I may respec into using that.

I still need to find a happy percentage for slow resistance.

7 hours ago, LKN-351 said:

Thats a pretty nice build.

How's it run during prolonged fights, like AVs? Is that end discount proc reliable?

I dont have endurance issues at all.  The only thing I dislike is fighting carnies because they have a defense to psi attacks.  Dark Regen saves the day and the self rez takes care of me not paying attention.

• Thumbs Up 1