The Calendar and Events feature on the website has been disabled ×

MA/SR - improvements to this build?

Hi all,

Recently got back into CoH again after a few years away. No matter how many alts I roll and enjoy, I cant let go of my old main from live (MA/SR scrapper) and always end up playing and tweaking his build.

Performance is important to me, I like to be able to dish some serious damage, whilst keeping a theme (speedster)

I've previously had Aid Self in the build .. but honestly I rarely if ever used it.
So i've gone with assault and tactics now insted to try and eek out some more performance.

• ST attack chain - CAK > SK > CS > SK (repeat) - extremely high recharge neeed to run this chain. Honestly not even sure this build needs Hasten with the sheer amout of recharge in it, but I didn't know what else to pick and its something I've picked almost as habbit for years
  • AoE attack chain - EC > DT > filler (repeat) - the buffed Eagles Claw into Dragons Tails mechanic is so nice to help MA/ previously almost none existant AoE
  • -Res proc in both ST & AoE attack chain seems nice (Force Feedback proc in DT seems redudant due to naturally high recharge)
  • 40% S/L res at full HP not bad for /SR

Due to the high speed attack chain this build actually churns through endurance at a surprising rate that isnt obvious at a glance perhaps in Mids. Thats kind of why I went with Energy Mastery, but upon closer inspection is Physical Perfection even really doing anything for me? The heal proces and +regen are nice for /SR but maybe there are better options?
I toyed with Mu mastery, Zapp seems good. Good DPA and maybe worth throwing into a ST chain on cooldown? Ball lightning seems a fair bit weaker with bad DPA - but could help bolster MA/ AoE options?

I'm not sure really, ive look at this build for so long I no longer see a path to improvement. Maybe its just time for me to move onto a new toon and become obsessed.

But for now can anyone see any mistakes? or just generally offer some advise on what you would do to improve/change this build?

Thanks!

MA-SR - Scrapper (Martial Arts - Super Reflexes).mbd

8 hours ago, Thraxen said:

Not at hole at the moment, but I posted it on here somewhere. My most recent ma/sr is a beast.

I found it for ya Thraxen.   I posted it below.

I strongly suggest you remove the +Rech from your attacks, or the procs.        One or the other.       The procs are not going to activate with any kind of efficiency with +Rech slotted in the actual attack.   The +Rech from Hasten and the set bonuses is fine - actually good.   You want +Rech in your build, just not in the actual powers that contain procs.

Other than this big oversight, your build is solid.

I like how you doubled up on the Power Transfer:  Chance to Heal Self.   Slotting the Power Transfers shows that you acknowledge that you don't have a heal, but do need some healing on the build. 

Kung-Fu Thrax - Scrapper (Martial Arts - Super Reflexes) 7.mbd

Edited by bellona100

On 6/21/2024 at 6:20 PM, Duck-Smokes-Quack said:

Hi all,

Recently got back into CoH again after a few years away. No matter how many alts I roll and enjoy, I cant let go of my old main from live (MA/SR scrapper) and always end up playing and tweaking his build.

Performance is important to me, I like to be able to dish some serious damage, whilst keeping a theme (speedster)

I've previously had Aid Self in the build .. but honestly I rarely if ever used it.
So i've gone with assault and tactics now insted to try and eek out some more performance.

• ST attack chain - CAK > SK > CS > SK (repeat) - extremely high recharge neeed to run this chain. Honestly not even sure this build needs Hasten with the sheer amout of recharge in it, but I didn't know what else to pick and its something I've picked almost as habbit for years
  • AoE attack chain - EC > DT > filler (repeat) - the buffed Eagles Claw into Dragons Tails mechanic is so nice to help MA/ previously almost none existant AoE
  • -Res proc in both ST & AoE attack chain seems nice (Force Feedback proc in DT seems redudant due to naturally high recharge)
  • 40% S/L res at full HP not bad for /SR

Due to the high speed attack chain this build actually churns through endurance at a surprising rate that isnt obvious at a glance perhaps in Mids. Thats kind of why I went with Energy Mastery, but upon closer inspection is Physical Perfection even really doing anything for me? The heal proces and +regen are nice for /SR but maybe there are better options?
I toyed with Mu mastery, Zapp seems good. Good DPA and maybe worth throwing into a ST chain on cooldown? Ball lightning seems a fair bit weaker with bad DPA - but could help bolster MA/ AoE options?

I'm not sure really, ive look at this build for so long I no longer see a path to improvement. Maybe its just time for me to move onto a new toon and become obsessed.

But for now can anyone see any mistakes? or just generally offer some advise on what you would do to improve/change this build?

Thanks!

MA-SR - Scrapper (Martial Arts - Super Reflexes).mbd 41.72 kB · 10 downloads

First thing I would do is pick up an Alpha slot.   Slotting Musculature Core Paragon into your Incarnate makes this build look more impressive.  Do you really need Tactics on this build?   You have +Perc from Focused Senses.   That Kismet you slotted in Lucky gives you +ToHit.   Additionally, you have +54% Accuracy enhancement from your set bonuses - which is overkill.

I don't like the way you slotted Cobra Strike.   Those damage procs are rarely going to activate because of all the +Rech you have slotted in the power.  Now that I look at your other attacks, you did the same thing.   Remove the +Recharge in the attacks if you want your procs to activate!

I’ll have to look when I get home. I don’t remember adding a lot of recharge to the attacks. I think I had some in eagles claw but I can’t remember. It proc’s the ato all the time though. 

9 hours ago, bellona100 said:

I put together a modified version of Thraxen's scrapper.   Is it better or worse?      Hmmm...

Please read the "Build Comment/Description" at the top of Mids' for an explanation of the build.

Kung-Fu Thrax 2(MA.SR).mbd 45.88 kB · 2 downloads

Hmmmmm well this is certainly unconventional.

At a glance this build seems kind of ... insane tbh! 

image.png.8e57e33bf07e49a69e3ab7eddbf61d09.png

• Not at the range softcap for defence
  • Skipped the AoE defence toggle [Evasion] entierly ... this build will go squish very, VERY quickly
  • You Scrapper Critical Strikes proc is in an AoE attack
  • You havent slotteed Storm Kick one of the power MA/ has to offer

Our builds clearly have *very* different philosophies. 

I have made some very minor changes to your build to leave it basically the same but MUCH more survivable and playable

• Evasion replaces Elude
  • Evasion loses a slot and gives it to Focused Senses
  • Hover has to stay on when fighting (i personally find this impossible on a melee character and so would drop Hover for Combat Jumping with the same single slot for a much improved experience in maps)

image.png.deb1def2a6863ad4935261d20fd6c987.png

Your build is now virtually unchanged and infinatly more surivable

Hope you enjoy 🙂

Kung-Fu Thrax FIXED (MA.SR).mbd

This is where my current build is (basically the same)

But with a very minor change to Cobra Strike slotting to acheieve a kind of gimmicky 

image.png.ee0fddf8f0c884f0d54d710350b373a4.png

But interesting resist to Recharge and Run speed

The build is VERY high recharge, and kind of works against the common "proc everything" vibes of most builds.

I can comfortably run CAK>SK>CS>SK in ST (i can actually run CAK>CS>SK - which is truly insane, but only when conserve power is up becuase my word does my end bar drop like a stone doing that)

In AoE I run EC>DT>1-2 filer ST attacks then back to basically recycling EC/DT 

Honestly for raw damage output on this build I think Its close to as good as it gets. Im trying to scrape the last bit of performance from it but it might be a fools errand

MA-SR V2.0- Scrapper (Martial Arts - Super Reflexes).mbd

• Confused 1

Thank you Duck-Smokes-Quack for the very good suggestions on the modified version of Thraxen's scrapper.   I have taken several of them and applied them to Kung-Fu Thrax 3. 

• Not at the range softcap for defence ---> You are correct, I fixed this in the new build.
  • Skipped the AoE defence toggle [Evasion] entierly ... this build will go squish very, VERY quickly --->Fixed this as well.
  • You Scrapper Critical Strikes proc is in an AoE attack ---> This PBAoE is the opening attack in my build's attack chain.  See, you have the enemy mob in front of ya.  You hit Focus Chi, then speed into the center of the mob, then click Dragon's Tail.   The Critical Strikes activates off of one of the multiple targets.  With this proc activated for 3.25 seconds, I use either Crippling Axe Kick or Eagles Claw on the boss.  Maybe both attacks - if I'm fast enough.
  • You havent slotteed Storm Kick one of the power MA/ has to offer ---> Once again, you are correct.   The only reason I have Storm Kick in the build is because I had to take it.   I get more damage output from using one of my other attacks.  Storm Kick, like Kick from the Fighting Pool, is not worth the slots or time clicking in an attack chain.

I've attached the updated and improved build.

Kung-Fu Thrax 3(MA.SR).mbd

20 minutes ago, bellona100 said:

• You Scrapper Critical Strikes proc is in an AoE attack ---> This PBAoE is the opening attack in my build's attack chain.  See, you have the enemy mob in front of ya.  You hit Focus Chi, then speed into the center of the mob, then click Dragon's Tail.   The Critical Strikes activates off of one of the multiple targets.  With this proc activated for 3.25 seconds, I use either Crippling Axe Kick or Eagles Claw on the boss.  Maybe both attacks - if I'm fast enough.

Eagles Claw has a built in + crit chance already. Coupled with the long(er) recharge time this seems the perfect place to put the proc for you.

In ST im assuming you will use EC>CAK and then in AoE you can do EC>DT (and then DT will crit almost everything almost evertime - its beautiful)

24 minutes ago, bellona100 said:

• You havent slotteed Storm Kick one of the power MA/ has to offer ---> Once again, you are correct.   The only reason I have Storm Kick in the build is because I had to take it.   I get more damage output from using one of my other attacks.  Storm Kick, like Kick from the Fighting Pool, is not worth the slots or time clicking in an attack chain.

Storm kick is one of MA's best powers. Its DPA is pretty damn cometative, Its on a whole other level from Kick. It absolutley is worth slotting and using.

The best MA attack ST chain used to be CAK>SK>CS>SK. 
Now on Homecoming and with the EC buff shortly before shutdown maybe EC comes into the chain EC>CAF>SK>CS maybe? Im not 100% but i am 100% sure that the best ST attack chain will include SK.

There is no way in hell using DT in ST is optimal, infact its a DPS loss.

• 4 weeks later
On 6/24/2024 at 2:52 PM, Duck-Smokes-Quack said:

Eagles Claw has a built in + crit chance already. Coupled with the long(er) recharge time this seems the perfect place to put the proc for you.

Now on Homecoming and with the EC buff shortly before shutdown maybe EC comes into the chain EC>CAF>SK>CS maybe?

I run enough recharge without hasten to run EC>SK>Snipe>SK>EC>CAK>CS without Hasten, though functionally EC>CAK>CS is just fine and simpler to remember. And yes EC into DT beautifully crits just about everything, though I do have to through a CAK in before going into EC again.

My build is different than both of yours, and I have stopped posting builds, but I do love leveraging the Critical Strikes proc in  Eagles Claw. And running SR 4 slotting the Shield Wall set in each if the positional toggles helps ensure that I hit 75% resist to S/L/E/N/F/C if I get hit, andall of my positional defenses are between 54 and 55 percent, which allows for incarnate cap with Barrier T4.

Cool man. I personally hate CAK which is why I don’t take it. I like ec-sk-cs which stacks stuns and both crit after ec which I slot so it’s almost guaranteed to prof the scrap ato. 

I lied. It’s ec-sk-cs-sk

doesnt have any recharge in ec so the ato procs  as much as it literally possibly can. 

Perma hasten build also ensures focus chi is up more often as well. 

25 minutes ago, Thraxen said:

I lied. It’s ec-sk-cs-sk

Perma hasten build also ensures focus chi is up more often as well. 

I still get about 75 percent on my Critical Strikes proc, because most of the recharge is in the proc itself. I run the Psi epic pool for Harmonic Mind, and am good on end doing that, unless I fight all trainers, then I might have to use a recovery serum, if my Victory Rush is down, however I am not sure about running a fast attack chain with the end suck that is Hasten.

The animation time on CAK is the same as CS and both crit in the window of the critical strikes proc.

Compared to the build you posted with only one recharge in Focus Chi, with Hasten, I run 2 recharges in it and it is up just as often doing that.

Anyway, love seeing other MA/SR scrappers out there that are leveraging the crit strikes proc in EC. Keep kicking the competition.