The Calendar and Events feature on the website has been disabled ×

Ice / Elec Build - Looking for tuning tips

Cryptorchid

I love my blaster! I played Nrg/Nrg on live till F2P started and always utterly enjoyed it. I built this Ice/Elec as a jack of all trades so I could enjoy more aspects of the game and help in team environments more then just damage and annoying tanks and scrappers with my knock back. I absolutely love blapping more then any other part of being a blaster 🙂 My pri and sec power selection is based on being helpful in any environment, single target ranged and melee damage, holds, AoE and knockdown, whatever i need to do to be most helpful and have fun. I didnt take several powers in the sec due to not using them with my playstyle.

I am looking for any tips on making her better within the confines that I love playing her with these powers. Im open to small power changes but am mostly looking for ways to slot better for max damage and chaos (surviving is good too). Any advice and constructive criticism is appreciated. I run the MSR, HAMI, GM Hunts, solo badge hunting and story arcs, and iTrials (new to this but its dang crazy fun) for the majority of my time.

All IO's not PVP, Purple or Superior are attuned with catalysts. Just recently came back to the game so Im new to attuned stuff and may have made mistakes. Heres the build.

Edited by Cryptorchid
Removed nonworking Mids data

18 hours ago, Cryptorchid said:

I love my blaster! I played Nrg/Nrg on live till F2P started and always utterly enjoyed it. I built this Ice/Elec as a jack of all trades so I could enjoy more aspects of the game and help in team environments more then just damage and annoying tanks and scrappers with my knock back. I absolutely love blapping more then any other part of being a blaster 🙂 My pri and sec power selection is based on being helpful in any environment, single target ranged and melee damage, holds, AoE and knockdown, whatever i need to do to be most helpful and have fun. I didnt take several powers in the sec due to not using them with my playstyle.

I am looking for any tips on making her better within the confines that I love playing her with these powers. Im open to small power changes but am mostly looking for ways to slot better for max damage and chaos (surviving is good too). Any advice and constructive criticism is appreciated. I run the MSR, HAMI, GM Hunts, solo badge hunting and story arcs, and iTrials (new to this but its dang crazy fun) for the majority of my time.

All IO's not PVP, Purple or Superior are attuned with catalysts. Just recently came back to the game so Im new to attuned stuff and may have made mistakes. Heres the build.

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

Hi.  Welcome to the forums, and back to the game! 

Mids' data chunk import feature isn't working at the moment.  Hopefully, they can get that fixed during their next update.  But until then, it'd be better if you attach a copy of the file instead for people to view and offer suggestions, if any. 

1 hour ago, Cryptorchid said:

Thanks for the info, didnt know that was broken. I will attach a file.

Benediction - Blaster (Ice Blast - Electricity Manipulation).mbd 42.95 kB · 0 downloads

You have a lot of wasted slotting.  And a couple wasted powers that really do nothing for you or your build. 

1. Infiltration is a waste to you.  You cannot use it and Stealth at the same time.  Also, Infiltration is a considered a travel power and you already have Super Speed and Fly.  I am guessing you are using Infiltration only as a mule for the LotG +Global Recharge, but you have 6 of those - you only get credit for 5 of them max (or any set bonus of same value).  So, not only is Infiltration useless to you powerwise, it's also useless for slotting. 
  2. Super Speed is also a wasted power pick.  You don't really need both SS and Fly, but I do understand if you want it for concept.  But you have Athletic Run for those times you want to run faster when there is no room for flying (caves, offices, etc).  If you want the celerity +Stealth IO still, you can put that in Sprint and still get that benefit.  

You should definitely ditch Infiltration and take something else.  I would suggest Thunderstrike (PBAOE) or Shocking Grasp (high damage Hold).  If you like knocking things back/down, Thunderstrike does that and stuns like Force of Thunder, except it does also damage too.  You're a blaster and there to dish out the damage!  🙂  And Shocking Grasp gives you a 3rd hold which will allow you to hold an EB or chain hold 2 bosses.  

Personally, I would ditch both Infiltration and Super Speed and take both Thunderstrike and Shocking Grasp.  This will give you SO much more control (stacking more stuns and holds, and KB/KD) plus have you dish out more damage overall.  But at bare minimum, get rid of Infiltration - in which case, I would also suggest getting rid of Force of Thunder too to take both Thunderstrike (does the same + damage) and Shocking Grasp too.

As for Slotting....

• Stamina is over slotted - you have more End than you need or could ever use.  Just put a Performace Shifter +End proc in the 1 slot and be done.  That will give you 5 slots to put in Thunderstrike and/or Shocking Grasp - or slot up Weave and Scorpion Shield to give you more defense.
  • Purple Sets - none of them need that 6th slot.  The Psi def or Toxic resists do very little for you.
  • Stealth - slotting it up for defense is pointless since the defense is suppressed during combat.  Just drop your LotG +Global Rech in it and be done.  That's 2 more slots you can use for Thunderstike, Shocking Grasp, Weave, Scorp Shield.
  • Hasten - 2 slot it with +5 boosted Rech IOs.  That pretty much = 3 slotting it with lvl 50 IOs.  That will give you another slot to put elsewhere.
  • Blizzard - better to have a full set of Superior Blaster's Wrath in it - you'll do more damage with it and have it recharge faster.  Then I'd put a set of 5 Superior Winter's Bite in Bitter Ice Blast.
  • Dynamo - You don't need a full set of Efficacy Adapters in it.  This is a unique power for blasters in that it also does damage as well as drain end while giving you +recovery and +regen.  Most other blaster secondaries, their sustain powers give +recov and +regen/+absorb only.  So.... I would take advantage and slot it with 3 Synapse's Shock and 3 Power Transfers:
    • Synapse's Shock, I would slot:  Endmod/Increased Run speed, Endmod, Dam/Rech
    • Power Transfer, I would slot:  Endmod, Dam/Endmod, Chance to heal self
    • This iwll give you plenty of Recovery, increased run speed doubly from 2 slots of Synapse's Shock and the run speed increase IO (to help counter losing Super Speed, if you choose to drop it as well), and this slotting gives you some increased damage for those choosing to be in melee range of you and a bit of auto healing for you.
  • Health - the Regen Tissue +Regen proc does little for you since you have no other inherent regen (like those ATs/Powersets with armors and higher hitpoints).  It's not bad, but not great either and that slot could be used elsewhere, if you wanted.  Additionally, the Panacea +End/+Heal proc is superior to the Numina's +Regen/+Recov proc - so you could swap that out for the Panacea, if you wanted.

Clearly, you love you toon and love playing it.  So, that is all that matters.  These are just tweaks and suggestions of things you could do to improve your build.  At the very minimum, get rid of Infiltration and use the extra 5 slots from Stamina to slot up your new power or others.  🙂  

Thank you for the response. It is awesome that you took the time to be so informative and laid out all the info so well. I not only learned a bit about bettering my build but I didnt know that 5 copies of the same buff is the limit.

I ditched Infiltration and picked up Shocking Grasp. I traded Force of Thunder for Thunder Strike. I removed 4 slots from Stamina (kept 2 to get the +movement set bonus) and removed slots from Stealth. I had Stealth slotted like that because the description says you lose only some of the +Def so I thought it was still useful in combat. Scorpion Shield and Weave are slotted into the red now.

I do have Ice Storm 6 slotted only because I want max dam and rech but I also wanted the knockdown proc in it. I have teams today to test it out and the CoP twice and it does seem to be a little bit better. Hasten is dead on perma by about 1/2 a sec and I have noticed that I dont use Thunder Strike all that often but when I do it does its job well.

Overall the build is still stupid fun as it was and still looks like it got better overall. I attached my current build. Swapping out several full attuned sets to get more purple and more expensive superior sets broke my bank but it looks worth it so far.

Thank you again... time to get back in game and let my Blastitus cause havoc amongst teammates and enemies alike!!!

Benediction Forums - Blaster (Ice Blast - Electricity Manipulation).mbd

• Thumbs Up 1

39 minutes ago, Cryptorchid said:

Thank you for the response. It is awesome that you took the time to be so informative and laid out all the info so well. I not only learned a bit about bettering my build but I didnt know that 5 copies of the same buff is the limit.

I ditched Infiltration and picked up Shocking Grasp. I traded Force of Thunder for Thunder Strike. I removed 4 slots from Stamina (kept 2 to get the +movement set bonus) and removed slots from Stealth. I had Stealth slotted like that because the description says you lose only some of the +Def so I thought it was still useful in combat. Scorpion Shield and Weave are slotted into the red now.

I do have Ice Storm 6 slotted only because I want max dam and rech but I also wanted the knockdown proc in it. I have teams today to test it out and the CoP twice and it does seem to be a little bit better. Hasten is dead on perma by about 1/2 a sec and I have noticed that I dont use Thunder Strike all that often but when I do it does its job well.

Overall the build is still stupid fun as it was and still looks like it got better overall. I attached my current build. Swapping out several full attuned sets to get more purple and more expensive superior sets broke my bank but it looks worth it so far.

Thank you again... time to get back in game and let my Blastitus cause havoc amongst teammates and enemies alike!!!

Benediction Forums - Blaster (Ice Blast - Electricity Manipulation).mbd 43.15 kB · 0 downloads

Glad to have helped.  🙂  

You still have WAY more endurance than you can use... only other thing i can suggest for you to consider is to add in 2 special IOs that I like to have in all my builds across all ATs.  You have all the other important special IOs:  Steadfast +3% Def, Gladiator's armor +3% def, Unbreak Guard +Max HP, etc, etc, etc... but you are missing:  Shield Wall +Resistance (TP/All) and Reactive Defenses +Scaling Resist.  These are helpful when things get through your defense - especially the scaling resist.  It gives +3% resist to all, and then as you lose health, you get more and more resistance up to 13%.  As a naked shieldless blaster, every bit is helpful.

These aren't required, of course, but they are nice to have.  And since you have more end than you can use, you can drop the Numina's and Miracle from Health (and still have tons of End at your disposal) and put those 2 slots and IOs in Hover so you have them at the earliest you can in your build.  They work even when Hover is off.  

And regarding Stealth and its defense - yes, you are correct in that some defense is retained during combat.  But the slots are better served in Weave and Scorp shield as they give more defense than Stealth.   If you haven't already, in Mids, go to Options > Effects & Maths and on the far righthand side are check boxes.  Click "Attacked" and the numbers shown will calculate what they will be when you're in combat.  You'll see the defense numbers for Stealth (and Evasive Maneuvers) drastically drop, but you'll retain a tiny bit.  But again, generally not worth slotting for as those slots are better served elsewhere.  🙂  

Have fun!!  

Edited by Frozen Burn

Slot freeze ray and bitter freeze ray for damage first and foremost, not hold duration. The blaster mantra is "kill things before they kill you"

Blasters have no protection from any debuffs or status effects and this is going to be pretty important especially if you decide to dance in melee with melee attacks. I would try to address some of the low hanging fruits that require very little investment:

1 - immobilize: Combat jumping give you protection from it, it's also a LoTG 7.5 and kismet mule. It has no pre-requisites that you need to take from the jump pool, needs no further slotting and gives you defense, superior movement and jump control, and protection from immobilize. If need be you can also add a slot for the karma KB protection IO.

2 - blind: I hate being blinded, I don't know about you. Therefore for those blasters that don't have +perception I will try to fit in tactics to combat that. The benefit is that you also get to pick up maneuvers for a defense oriented build, and that tactics +to hit buffs quick snipe damage for those blasters with a snipe.

I'm going to quote myself on /elec from this thread

On 8/9/2023 at 1:06 PM, Nemu said:

What has consistently allowed me to go toe to toe with multiple +4 bosses is my ability to rotate knockdowns via Thunderstrike and Force of Thunder, and both powers can also stun (not something I bank on). I've espoused chain knockdown when I came back to Homecoming and to date I think people are still underestimating how useful and how fun that is.

I don't like fly for melee heavy blasters. I'm too enfranchised with the mobile play style with combat jumping, jousting and hopping around the battlefield and I can never imagine doing what I do with hover. If you really need to fly there's the P2W jetpacks. Speaking of jousting:

Finally from a survival perspective, in addition to rotating knockdowns and in your case rotating your arsenal of 3 holds, there's also the hard stats on defense. I had another post where I talk about the importance of range defense above S/L even for melee heavy blaster builds:

This is my Fire/elec template:

Defensively I shot for close to softcap range defense and around 40% S/L Def. You have more options around procs in your holds at the expense of defense with Ice/Elec, and if you chose to go that route and hover around 32.5% S/L and Range defense you should also be ok as long as you are comfortable popping lucks for the appropriate encounters.

Edited by Nemu

Liberty, Torchbearer, Excelsior, Everlasting

Jezebel Delias

Level 50 Fire/Elec/Mace Blaster

I am the Inner Circle!