The Calendar and Events feature on the website has been disabled ×

New to the game, asking for advice - Controller or Dominator and what types?

Myrd

I've never played this game before but heard good things. And I'm a fan of this kind of playstyle, rare as it is.

So I'm trying to tell what is different in terms of "most effective control powers" with controller vs dominator. It seems like Dominators unique trait gives it a temporary power boost and controller is always on. Maybe one only affects single targets? Maybe the temporary boost is stronger when on or weaker when on? Can anyone clarify what would maximize CC options? If someone had to cast the strongest CC there was would it come from one or the other class?

And then I'm looking into power sets for each. I know the second dominator choice seems to be about damage. And the second controller choice about supports. Aesthetically I like mind control and illusions but I have no idea if those are actually good enough to make a useful end game character. And I might have to look into what each gets since attacks and support options may differ. I'm open to anything though. What's the absolute best for each class in your opinion and why?

I really don't mind playing full support or CC + damage. Whatever is more useful I can have fun with both.

Just looking for general advice and I wasn't sure which archetype form to use since it refers to both. I haven't picked which I'd play yet.

I guess the question is, if you had to pick a class to join your team which would you favor? And which power sets do you prefer and why?

Both controllers and dominators can shine at different times on a team. Certain types and builds for dominators and controllers can solo very challenging content. For some content a controller will be preferred because their secondary will be what gets them picked for certain teams. For other content a dominator will shine more because they are the strongest control class in the game. 

Incidentally, many players like both controllers and dominators and they have multiple of each. Others main just one character and play few or no alts at all. You'll probably need to figure that preference out as you go. 

As a starter dominator, plant / fire / fire would be a solid choice. It takes some practice to figure out how to line up the cone for seeds of confusion. But, it's a build that starts out strong as early as level 8 and it just gets keeps getting stronger as you go along. It's also very good for a hovering character that really only needs to be concerned with ranged defense and resistances when building your character (AOE defense also helps, but it's not needed as often).  I'll attach a sample in-game build that you can look over, if you'd like; use the "Mids" program which is available for free to view the file, if you'd like, or just look at the picture if you'd like. There are other good starter dominator builds that others might suggest, though, so keep an open mind about what seems to be most interesting to you. 

There are also a lot of reasonable picks for a good starter controller build. But, this is the dominator forum and you have a similar post in the controller forum, so I won't clutter up this response with controller builds. 

PS: There will probably be one or more players who come along and carry on about how defenses aren't needed and similar kinds of thinking. When you're first getting to know the game that suggestion is, and no disrespect intended to those who say that, bloody awful advice. Your character will spend a lot of time face down on the ground, waiting for a rez, if you're new to the game and you let some well intentioned player convince you that it's more badass / sexy / whatever to run around with terrible defense totals and resistances. After you've played for a while and have a better understanding of the game then you can start back off on your characters' defenses and still keep them mostly upright. 

Screenshot (78).png

Druid of the Forest - Dominator (Plant Control - Fiery Assault -Fire Mastery).mbd Druid of the Forest - Plant Fiery Fire Dom.pdf

2 hours ago, Myrd said:

I've never played this game before but heard good things. And I'm a fan of this kind of playstyle, rare as it is.

So I'm trying to tell what is different in terms of "most effective control powers" with controller vs dominator. It seems like Dominators unique trait gives it a temporary power boost and controller is always on. Maybe one only affects single targets? Maybe the temporary boost is stronger when on or weaker when on? Can anyone clarify what would maximize CC options? If someone had to cast the strongest CC there was would it come from one or the other class?

And then I'm looking into power sets for each. I know the second dominator choice seems to be about damage. And the second controller choice about supports. Aesthetically I like mind control and illusions but I have no idea if those are actually good enough to make a useful end game character. And I might have to look into what each gets since attacks and support options may differ. I'm open to anything though. What's the absolute best for each class in your opinion and why?

I really don't mind playing full support or CC + damage. Whatever is more useful I can have fun with both.

Just looking for general advice and I wasn't sure which archetype form to use since it refers to both. I haven't picked which I'd play yet.

I guess the question is, if you had to pick a class to join your team which would you favor? And which power sets do you prefer and why?

The one with the strongest CC is definitely dominator.  You can eventually get domination so that it is up very often or even to the point where it is always on.  It doubles the strength and lengthens the duration of all your CC, as well as making you immune to almost all enemy CC.   Hasten from the speed power pool helps a lot.

As to mind and illusion.  Mind is more about direct control.  Illusion is kind of a mix between control and pet summoner.  Personally I love illusion and it is my favorite, but if you don't want to deal with pets, then I'd go mind if you are choosing between those two.

As to which to join a team, either can work great and it depends on the team.  Controllers are probably a bit more of the team class since they do have the support secondary.  You didn't ask, but honestly either can solo as well, the game is very solo friendly, but controllers are generally going to be a bit slower there.

As to a first time play character I'd probably suggest a scrapper, brute, or sentinel over either.  Both controllers and doms have a bit more going on for a first timer.  But if you know you love to play control type characters, then nothing wrong with going for it and this game isn't that hard to figure out.

Specifically as mentioned, plant control is a good suggestion as one of the easier starters.  They get a frankly some have called overpowered ability they can take as early as level 8 called Seeds of confusion that can just confuse a whole group and for quite a long time.  You can then just attack them in safety and as long as you do a decent part of the damage you'll get most of the xp even if they hurt each other. 

As I also mentioned, personally illusion is one of my favorites as it has good damage on its own and has some pets mixed in which I enjoy.  My favorite dominator is an illusion/dark.

You have 1,000 slots per server though and part of the allure of this game is making a lot of different characters to try different powersets, so don't be afraid to go ahead and try both, then try 100 other combinations.

controller is slow to start, but very good on teams with its control and secondary, and once you have your pet(s) things become much easier. dominator is good solo, tends to go for as much damage as possible in the shortest time or die trying. they are very different playstyle in a lot of ways.

my last 2 two trollers that i slowly brought up to 50 were a gravity/time and an arsenal/trick arrow.

gravity/time is hard and soft control heavy (holds, slows, immobs), with propel for high damage by throwing random objects at mobs, with a great pet called the singularity which draws in mobs and throws them in the air. great fun with the gravity wormhole power to boot.

arsenal/trick arrow is OP, with arsenal being a new power set, it has some great powers; a cloud sleep, a smoke screen confuse, a very tanky single target pet... combined with TA and its debuffs, groups just melt away. the most soloable troller i have. (it also has like 10-12 AOEs!, target macros galore!)

as a troller bonus! in the sorcery power pool, only on a troller, the arcane bolt stacks for up to 3x damage with containment and a chance for instant recharge. it's great. 😄

i am very much troller biased, though i am not sure what that says about me. 😁

Edited by Ridiculous Girl
forgot to mention the AOEs! :D

"I'm not crazy, my reality is just different than yours" the Cheshire Cat

"Ce n'est rien de mourir; c'est affreux de ne pas vivre"

(It's nothing to die, it's terrible not to live) Jean Valjean

"وطن المرء ليس مكان ولادته و لكنه المكان الذي تنتهي فيه كل محاولاته للهروب”

(Home is not where you were born, home is where all your attempts to escape cease.) Naguib Mahfouz