The Calendar and Events feature on the website has been disabled ×

Cannot log in since update: Corrupt files?

I'm getting the "We were unable to locate the game data files. It is likely that your installation is corrupt and needs to be repaired. The game will now exit." message when I try to log in now.

I've revalidated, moved the install to a different subfolder, etc. Still nothing.

Am I alone? Any fix?

2 minutes ago, pawstruck said:

I'm getting the "We were unable to locate the game data files. It is likely that your installation is corrupt and needs to be repaired. The game will now exit." message when I try to log in now.

I've revalidated, moved the install to a different subfolder, etc. Still nothing.

Am I alone? Any fix?

I'm assuming you're using Tequila. You should download the Official Homecoming City of Heroes Launcher instead. It is the officially supported and updated launcher created by the Homecoming Team.

Installing City of Heroes on Windows

1. Download the Homecoming Launcher.
  2. Follow the setup instructions and choose an installation directory.

Note: If you have an existing City of Heroes installation (from Tequila or another legacy launcher), you must install the game to a new directory. The launcher will copy over most files (both game data and saved settings, costumes, etc) from an existing Tequila install if one exists.

On 7/14/2024 at 10:01 PM, Number Six said:

tl;dr: Don't use Tequila or similar.

• Thumbs Up 2

The problem with the new launcher is I can't have multiple games pulled up at once. With Tequila it let you push "play" and bring up multiple game browsers. But now you can't do it, it just says "Running" on the new launcher and you can't have more than one game up and running. The problem is with that is your can't RP more than one character now. Is there anyway to fix this?

1 hour ago, I.A.D said:

The problem with the new launcher is I can't have multiple games pulled up at once. With Tequila it let you push "play" and bring up multiple game browsers. But now you can't do it, it just says "Running" on the new launcher and you can't have more than one game up and running. The problem is with that is your can't RP more than one character now. Is there anyway to fix this?

The Official Homecoming Launcher has allowed multiple instances of the game at once since launch. Click the cog wheel in the top right corner. Then click General Settings, then check the 'Allow Multiple Instances' box. 

image.png

• Thumbs Up 3

22 hours ago, Glacier Peak said:

The Official Homecoming Launcher has allowed multiple instances of the game at once since launch. Click the cog wheel in the top right corner. Then click General Settings, then check the 'Allow Multiple Instances' box. 

image.png

Ah, okay. Thanks for the help!

• Thumbs Up 1

I’m using Tequila and can’t log into the game. I downloaded the Homecoming Launcher and it doesn’t start. I’m running a Vista machine. Can anyone help me?

A little information that would help greatly. Tequila is being phased out so getting the Homecoming Launcher working is for the best.

Did you install HC Launcher to the C:/Games folder? ( This being a separate folder from the Tequila install )

Do you have a shortcut on your desktop?

What happens when you try to start a session?

" When it's too tough for everyone else,

it's just right for me..."

( Unless it's Raining, or Cold, or Really Dirty

or there are Sappers, Man I hate those Guys...)

Marine X

edit: disregard, i updated the mod. duh.

i use the homecoming launcher and mine's borked too.

"c:/Games/Homecoming/assets/mods/hc_vidiotmaps.pigg: Fileheader extends past end of .pigg, probably corrupt .pigg file!  #7

Your data might be corrupt, please run the patcher and try again."

Edited by GigiGoodgame

My apologies, I think I wasn’t clear enough in my last post. After the last update I could not log in using Tequila so I downloaded the Homecoming launcher. I can’t get the file I downloaded to do anything. I double click = nothing. I right click and select Open = nothing. I right click and select Run as Administrator = nothing. Nothing happens at all. In the Task Manager it doesn’t show anything running. Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks. 

Make sure that the Homecoming download goes to a folder outside Windows control, so not in Program Files.

Preferred location is C:/Games.

Open My Computer, go to C drive and open the Games Folder, you should see this...

gamesfolder.JPG.78fa59b8eca3ef570e05d7c4ed80fc94.JPG

Click on Homecoming, you should see something like this...

hcfolder.JPG.c853c4feaa1135285706669189ebdd00.JPG

If none of this is there then something blocked the download. If it is there, try the Homecoming shortcut and see if that will start the game.

If not, try disabling any Anti-Virus you have until you get it working, then add it to the AV exceptions or White list.

Let me know how this goes.

• Thumbs Up 1

Marine X

Marine X,

The hcinstaller is in my downloads but won’t do anything when I try to open/run it

In c game COH Homecoming all I have are .pigg files. 

Is there anything other than COH in the C:/Games folder? Seems like you didn't get the full download or this is part of the Tequila install.

Marine X

I see the homecoming.exe app in this shot, but also titan Icon and tequila files. This looks to be your existing Tequila based install. The Homecoming Launcher needs to be installed in a separate folder than your Tequila Install. Just move or copy it from downloads to C:/Games not C:/Games/COH and then see what you have when you click on it.

Edited by Marine X
  • Like 1

Marine X

The 2 installs are now separate and being in the same folder was probably why it wouldn't run. Since neither version is currently working I would make sure that any anti-virus is off, delete the existing games folder and all copies of the hcinstaller from downloads. Reboot the computer and start over following what we have done so far. 

Seems like something interfered or corrupted the downloads, hopefully that won't happen once the folder is gone and you create a fresh install. Just make sure to place it where we put it earlier. 

Marine X

No, all that is stored server side and will repopulate your client upon login.

Good Luck.

Marine X

I'm still not sure why the HCinstaller is not working.

May be worth going to Registry. Need to be careful in here.

In the PC search type " reg " and Registry Editor should appear as a choice. Click on it.

Click yes to allow app to make changes if prompted.

From the Registry Editor List:

Click HKEY_CURRENT_USER, click SOFTWARE, search list for Tequila, delete it by right clicking and selecting delete from the list.

Click HKEY_USERS, check each sub-folder, in software for Tequila, if found, delete it.

Close Registry Editor and Power Cycle the PC.

Hopefully this will do the trick, if not, we may need one of the big guns to step up, I'm about out of ideas.

( Upgrading to Windows 7 would certainly enlarge the pool of people who could help you, Vista was not around for long and few people use it anymore. I had one Vista laptop eons ago and was really glad to get the Win7 upgrade because it seemed easier to work with. Keep in mind that you may still have the same issue after the upgrade since we have not determined what is wrong. )

Edited by Marine X

Marine X