Display scaling and maximum resolutions

Shenanigunner

This is just a detail that bit me while trying to get maximum res from my desktop system, thought I'd pass it along.

I could NOT get the game to run at 4K resolution - which was not important to me for in-game visual reasons and has its downside in the teeny text problems, but meant my 3-monitor system did not shift in and out of changed resolutions, messing up other apps and icon positions and the like. Every time I tried, I got a giant game window that overlapped the center and right monitors and pushed critical buttons (like Back and Exit) offscreen.

I finally traced the problem to my use of app scaling for the center monitor. For day to day use, the icons and app interfaces are way too small on a 28" 4K display, so I had scaling on that display dialed up to 150%. Turning that down to 100% lets CoX run in full native resolution - a little slow on framerate, but it doesn't muck up my desktop and other apps every time I cycle in and out. I do have to open Display Settings and bump the scaling down, then back up, but it's a small price to pay for overall harmony.

TL;DR - if you can't get max res out of the game without oversized game windows, check your display scaling.

• Thumbs Up 1

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

• 2 years later

Sorta peripheral to the topic, but I discovered recently my 144kHz monitor won't run at that frequency unless I set the refresh in Nvidia's settings to a few kHz lower. Once I set it to 140kHz, stuff got glassy smooth. It's documented on Nvidia's website but not at all obvious. There's apparently some overhead you have to account for, or it defaults to a lower refresh rate. Who knew?

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)