Dual Pistols / Poisons question(s)

TheOtherTed

I'm new-ish to Corruptors and Dual Pistols, and brand new to Poisons. I just rolled a Corruptor with this combo, and I'm sitting at level 8. I have to admit, I'm really impressed by Poisons - not sure why I avoided it on live. Envenom + Weaken seems to allow for some crazy toe-to-toe action that I wouldn't have expected for a Corruptor.

That said, I'm considering dipping into the Fighting and Leadership pools with this character, and I'd like some feedback. Fighting is mainly for RP reasons (the character is a cop from another dimension who is taking part in an exchange program with the PPD) but with Weaken, it might be actually fun to have some melee attacks for the inevitable in-your-face action. Does Weaken reduce the importance of Tough and Weave, or would those have synergy that's too good to pass up?

For Leadership, I'm considering Assault and Tactics at least for the low- to mid-levels, in order to play to the almost "offender" like nature of Envenom. Seems like that would be a powerful combination, but I might be off base.

I'm sure the Pistols / Poisons combo has other tricks, traps, synergies, and... whatever the opposite of "synergies" is (anergies? fall-on-your-face-ergies?). Any tips and feedback would be most welcome.

I would say that maneuvers and weave offer incredibly good synergy with envenom and weaken. Too good to pass up really. And it just gets better with venomous gas. Poison plays best in melee range, but you need the defenses to help you do that. I like to wait for the brute or tank to go in and then quickly follow behind him with envenom, weaken and my venomous gas toggle on, providing some substantial safety for myself and tank/brute. Not to mention the -res debuffs. 

I'd also consider getting vengeance for the LotG recharge slot. Also, when lvling up, I've always found that tactics helps team dps more than assault. Lowbies tend to underslot their powers or not slot them at all, making tohit much more effective.

Oh, and I'd avoid poison trap. I wish it was good, but it's so not.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Darkir! I may prioritize the fighting pool over Leadership then. I see this character more as an "enforcer" cop than a squad leader, and even if Boxing and Kick are sub-optimal, they're more in theme. Tactics is very tempting though - weird as it sounds, that was one of my favorite powers "live."

Assault doesn’t really give you very much damage unless you have multiple people running it. Don’t have Pines in front of me but I think it’s like 3%. I don’t think it would really impact your powers the way you are thinking. 

Maneuvers and weave are so good because of how powerful stacking defense is. Tactics can be enhanced to get decent to hit bonus. 

Also, I know it’s for thematic reasons,

but box and kick are not worth using at all. Maybe as a set mule, but I would not use it over one of your DP attacks. 

On 7/27/2019 at 8:03 AM, Griffin said:

Assault doesn’t really give you very much damage unless you have multiple people running it. Don’t have Pines in front of me but I think it’s like 3%. I don’t think it would really impact your powers the way you are thinking. 

It's 15% on Corruptors. It's basically a half of a SO enhancement on every damaging power you have, and on every teammates' damaging powers if they're within 60 meters.

10 hours ago, Ozryk said:

It's 15% on Corruptors. It's basically a half of a SO enhancement on every damaging power you have, and on every teammates' damaging powers if they're within 60 meters.

The more ya know.  Is it 3% on brutes or something’s? I don’t think I pulled that out of thin air, but maybe. 

6 hours ago, Griffin said:

The more ya know.  Is it 3% on brutes or something’s? I don’t think I pulled that out of thin air, but maybe. 

https://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Leadership

It's 10.5% on Brutes, same as Scrappers, Tankers, Blasters, and Stalkers (and one assumes, Sentinels, I haven't checked). The trick is that those figures are a percentage of base damage, and additive with all other buffs, and Brutes have a pretty low base damage factor:

https://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Damage

So, given that you're usually running ~70 Fury, and have ~90-100% from enhancements, for an average standing damage buff of +240%, adding another +10.5% can be pretty mild, giving you only a ~4.5% improvement to overall damage. That 3% figure probably assumes you're also running at 100 Fury, and have, say, Musculature Core Paragon in your Alpha Slot. So yeah, I can see passing on assault if you're building a Brute for solo farming. When you team, however, it's super-great, even for the DPS archetypes who get the lowest multipliers.