Best Sets for Rad Blast / Willpower

Solok

I find the question far too generic to give you a really good answer about Radiation.  Radiation can take on some damage procs and how that interacts with powers + their slots is a bit more complex than just "this is the best".  That said, I want to help.  In a most generic sense, ALL offensive sets favor the very rare sets (e.g., Apocalypse).  Any other offensive sets that offer global recharge are also good ideas (e.g., Positron's Blast for Ranged AoE). 

Willpower has a lot of options.  What is "best" is really just a matter of opinion and how a given set IO fits your goals.  I happen to be a fan of Unbreakable Guards in as many resistance powers I can get away with.  At 4 slots this grants melee defense but also Smashing/Lethal which is relevant to Willpower.  For the Healing category you have 5 good sets that will vary in value depending on your goals, your influence budget, and overall number of slots. 

For Defense sets, the most generic response is "Luck of the Gambler", but really there are other sets that may be of value. 

If you have a build or other character goals, I think we'll all be able to help you a lot better than just blanket statements about our own personal set preferences.

• Like 1

I have a Water Blast / Dark Armour

lvl 50. I find the sentinel I have built might be more  of a crowd control guy more Range Damage. 

Hitting enemies with Stuns, Knockback,  and , Slow movement to them, then using Dark Armour to stay up. 

I’m start build this IOs now I have 23 million. 

Edited by Jurasic

Typed defense is usually the first goal for /WP, to build on top of Heightened Senses.

• S/L: Kinetic Combat and Blistering Cold are your best options. Unfortunately, Sentinels have a hard time using these sets compared to melee ATs. You may have to mule these in Brawl or Boxing. Reactive Armor or Unbreakable Guard in your resist toggles are also good, and +2.5% from the ATO set.
  • E/N: This is where you have an edge on melee, because you have Thunderstrike, the other ATO set, and the ranged winter set whose name I can't remember. Again, Reactive Armor also helps, and maybe Eradication in PBAoEs.
  • F/C: You can get a ton of this via winter sets if you want to. Aegis in resist toggles is also an option.

From there, you might want to go for HP and/or resists, but you can get those from a ton of sets, often while also chasing other set bonuses.

• Like 1

A couple hundred million is definitely a good nest egg.  My DP/Nin cost me something like 700-800 million at current prices.  

A couple things about the market though.  First, you have a good amount of money to play the auction hall flipping mini-game.  You could easily, with some time and effort, add several more hundred million over a week or so without heavy grinding.  Take a peek at the Market and Guides sub forums to teach you how to maximize profits.  In addition to that, you could join up some AE farms and just soak in money.  The AH method is a more passive way to do it by spending up to 30 minutes to just make 20+ million over night.  

Also, shop smart... shop S-Mart.  For the sets I list below, check to see if the enhancement is available on the market and what it costs.  Then check the recipe and what it costs.  Note that any orange recipe needs orange salvage that runs 500,000 million + creation fees + other materials.  However, the yellow recipes often sell for 10,000 with materials costing far less as well as whatever the fee is for the level it was built.  If you can build an IO for less than 1 million influence, then there is no reason to buy it off the auction hall for some of the prices people set.  The "best" sets have recipes that are extremely expensive people know they are valuable, but sometimes you can catch a deal.  So a build that may look like it is 500 million may come out lower than that!!  The exception here is with purple sets.  Those range between 15 - 25 million per piece.  Always buy the standard version of the ATO (average price 8-10 million) + 1 catalyst (1+ million) and convert them after you've slotted it.  The purple (Superior) versions of the ATOs often run the same price range as other very rares (15-25 mill).  So for an expensive build, it is almost always the purple sets that drive these costs.  Luck of the Gambler's aren't cheap either.  

Edit: Also, when browsing what is the cheapest to build you can go with the lowest level possible or whatever is the cheapest to obtain.  The crafting fees are based on level.  You can then attune the IO with a catalyst to make the bonus operate at all levels.  The enhancement will adjust in value to whatever level is appropriate within its range.  This only a good idea if you exemplar a lot.  If you want to use enhancement boosts then you really want the highest level of the enhancement possible.  If boosting right now isn't the plan, then save yourself some crafting fees and catalyze later.  Do that on actual good sets though, not some of the dirt cheap options I suggest. 😉 

I'm assuming you'd like to keep the powers and slots you have.  That is what I am working with for my recommendations below.  I'm also going to suggest very inexpensive sets.  This should get you started, but it won't be "the best".  You'd need a specific build strategy (like what do you want to be doing with this character?) to really make use of the sets I'd recommend for that.  Regardless, these set ideas below are going to improve your performance past basic IOs.   

X-Ray Beam, Cosmic Burst, Proton Stream = Thunderstrike (Accuracy/Damage, Damage/Endurance, Accuracy/Damage/Endurance) + 1 Lady Grey (Chance for Negative damage) in all 3.  Cosmic Burst and Proton Stream could take a Shieldbreaker (Chance for Lethal Damage).  Low ball bid on the Shieldbreakers.  They sometimes list for 2-3 million, but I see them sell for 1 million frequently.  The Lady Grey is often times 1 million.  

Irradiate, Atomic Blast - you could get whatever you can afford really.  For the budget conscience, Cleaving Blow 4 pc + Eradication (Chance for Energy Damage) isn't a bad start.  Ideally you'd want at least 5pc Obliteration (2-3 million per piece) for the 5% global recharge. 

Electron Haze and Neutron Bomb - Detonation for the cheap, but Positron's Blast is going to be better.  Get all the pieces except for the Damage/Recharge (skip that one). 

High Pain Tolerance - 4pc Aegis (all pieces with Resistance - except for the Psionic unique)

Mind Over Body - 5pc Titanium Coating (all but the Endurance/Recharge)

Strength of Will - 3pc Aegis (Aegis is often pricey - Go for the Resistance + the 1/2 pieces like Resist/End, Resist/Recharge)

For defense set, Serendipity is often pretty cheap.  Red Fortune is also a great one for 5 pieces but can get obnoxiously over priced. 

For Fast Healing and Health - Triage for the cheap.  Heal + Heal/Recharge + Heal/End/Rec.  Ideally, I prefer 3 Numina if I am underslotting these (I often do).  Numina grants 12% regeneration + hit points which are both good bonuses to Willpower.  Ideally those are Heal + Heal/End + Heal/Recharge.  You could swap one of the Heal/* with the unique in Health but it is expensive.  

Quick Recovery/Stamina - Adrenal Adjustment for the cheap but ideally you want Performance Shifters here.  The End Mod + the Endurance Proc are ideal.  If you want to take advantage of the 3pc hit point boost, then add any of the Endurance/* pieces.  

Up to the Challenge - at 4 slots you want a set that grants a global healing bonus at slot 4.  Harmonized Healing is good for budgets.  Numinas is better for raw strength (Heal + Heal/End + Heal/Rec + Heal/End/Rec).  

Edited by oldskool

Thanks Oldskool !!

This gives me a good start. As for some of your questions, I'm not sure what I really want to do with this guy other than I don't PVP but he is my main so i want him to be decked out as OP as possible. I wouldn't even mind respec'ing a little if it helps. I'd like to do heavy damage, stay alive and be a good part of any team.  I took Fire epic just because I didn't know what else would be better and I like Fly over SS & SJ (just personal preference)

Also I have a toon (Fire/Spines Brute) just for making money so eventually I wanna get him decked out then too but my main is my focus for now.

Edited by Solok
  • Like 1

Do you have a copy of Pines or Mids to play around with a final build?  It makes it so much easier to plot it out.  Fire is a great Epic and there is nothing wrong with the Flight pool  You could respec and make some changes, but I highly recommend tinkering with a build planner first!