Rad/Atomic?

SkyMonkee

doest it work ? yes, or better, sort of.....

while /atom is actually a really nice secondary you need to understand the pro and cons of the build :

- Rad suffer of 2 main issue :

1. rad is along sonic and beam (and in some degree dual pistol) a "debuffing" set, and as such while you get a bit more damage as a blaster with it, the debuff you inflict with any of those set both defense wise and resistance wise is MUCH lower then their counterpart as corruptor/defender) 
  2. Neutron bomb (your fireball/lightning ball attack like) has a HORRIBLE animation (and it doesnt have an alternative choise) so you will either have to skip an aoe on target skill or suffer a 1.8 animation (in reality more like 3 seconds) for no real reason

- /Atom is a good secondary BUT you have to keep in mind that while the "taunt" in beta decay is not actually a taunt but just a heavy debuff effect that will lure attention of mob not aggroed by other people in your team, still is a set that is quite squishy with really low to no defensive ability (you rely on beta decay debuff hit and on one of the best skill of this set, Radioactive cloud which is a pbaoe hold with really short animation.

with this in mind, if you are set to play /atom you put yourself in the idea to play an aggressive short range / close combat blaster (so you may need to set your build accordingly)

I will post my build I'm working for after I get home from work. The pairing is made to be in melee range. 2 pbaoe attacks and a pbaoe hold along with a recharge buff that gets better the more mobs are around you. Some attacks are a bit slow but it can be an AoE machine. While leveling it feels a lot like fire/fire as you end up attracting a lot of attention and collecting debt badges but once you get some defense it becomes a beast.  And the animation is ugly on Neutron Bomb but it is not 3 seconds.  the 1.8 seconds is correct but if you are a ways away it does take a while to get to its target much like ball lightning (but with an extra half second added to the cast time because reasons).

Edited by HelenCarnate

Ok so here is the overly expensive Blaster/Tank...Blanker?  Blastanker?  Soft cap to S/L/F/C/E without Agility allowing you to pick Musc instead for your alpha slot.  1 small luck from capped on negative but does suffer from a Psi hole.  Resists are not great but I have the exact same numbers on my Fire/Atomic and it can handle the ITF at +4 with just the occasional luck needed when there is negative damage.  Perma hasten if you have 3 mobs within 15 feet or only 1 needed if you decide to take Agility.  Downside of no fast snipe so I skipped it as I would rather just run in and nuke everything anyway.  I may have to see what I can do if the beta updates make it to live if I can fit it in and still keep capped defenses.

Hero Plan by Mids' Hero Designer 2.22
http://www.cohplanner.com/

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 50 Mutation Blaster
Primary Power Set: Radiation Blast
Secondary Power Set: Atomic Manipulation
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Fighting
Power Pool: Leadership
Ancillary Pool: Mace Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: X-Ray Beam -- SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg(A), SprDfnBrr-Dmg/Rchg(3), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(3), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(5), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(5), SprDfnBrr-Rchg/+Status Protect(7)
Level 1: Electron Shackles -- Acc-I(A)
Level 2: Irradiate -- Obl-Dmg(A), Obl-Acc/Rchg(7), Obl-Dmg/Rchg(9), Obl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(9), Obl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(11), Obl-%Dam(11)
Level 4: Negatron Slam -- SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg(A), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx(15), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(15), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(17), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(17), SprBlsCol-Rchg/HoldProc(19)
Level 6: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(19), Rct-Def(21), Rct-ResDam%(50)
Level 8: Aim -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 10: Ionize -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 12: Super Jump -- BlsoftheZ-ResKB(A)
Level 14: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(21)
Level 16: Beta Decay -- HO:Enzym(A)
Level 18: Cosmic Burst -- SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg(A), SprWntBit-Dmg/Rchg(23), SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(23), SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(25), SprWntBit-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(25), SprWntBit-Rchg/SlowProc(27)
Level 20: Metabolic Acceleration -- PrfShf-End%(A), PrfShf-EndMod/Acc(27), PrfShf-EndMod(29)
Level 22: Boxing -- Empty(A)
Level 24: Tough -- StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(A), GldArm-3defTpProc(29), UnbGrd-Max HP%(31), UnbGrd-ResDam(31), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(31), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(33)
Level 26: Neutron Bomb -- SprFrzBls-Acc/Dmg(A), SprFrzBls-Dmg/EndRdx(33), SprFrzBls-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(33), SprFrzBls-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(34), SprFrzBls-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(34), SprFrzBls-Rchg/ImmobProc(34)
Level 28: Atom Smasher -- SprAvl-Acc/Dmg(A), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(36), SprAvl-Dmg/EndRdx(36), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(36), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(37), SprAvl-Rchg/KDProc(37)
Level 30: Weave -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A), Rct-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(37), Rct-Def(39), Rct-Def/EndRdx(39)
Level 32: Atomic Blast -- SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg(A), SprBlsWrt-Dmg/Rchg(39), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(40), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(40), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(40), SprBlsWrt-Rchg/Dmg%(42)
Level 35: Radioactive Cloud -- SprEnt-Acc/Hold(A), SprEnt-Hold/Rchg(42), SprEnt-End/Rchg(42), SprEnt-Acc/Hold/End(43), SprEnt-Acc/Hold/End/Rchg(43), SprEnt-Rchg/AbsorbProc(43)
Level 38: Positronic Fist -- Mk'Bit-Acc/Dmg(A), Mk'Bit-Dmg/EndRdx(45), Mk'Bit-Dmg/Rchg(45), Mk'Bit-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(45), Mk'Bit-Dam%(46), Mk'Bit-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(46)
Level 41: Scorpion Shield -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A), Rct-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(46), Rct-Def(48), Rct-Def/EndRdx(48)
Level 44: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A), Rct-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(48), Rct-Def(50), Rct-Def/EndRdx(50)
Level 47: Assault -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 49: Tactics -- HO:Cyto(A)
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Defiance 
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run 
Level 2: Swift -- Run-I(A)
Level 2: Health -- NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(A), Pnc-Heal/+End(13), Mrc-Rcvry+(13)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Jump-I(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A)
Level 0: Freedom Phalanx Reserve 
Level 0: Portal Jockey 
Level 0: Task Force Commander 
Level 0: The Atlas Medallion 
Level 50: Musculature Core Paragon 
------------

Edited by HelenCarnate
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, HelenCarnate said:

Ok so here is the overly expensive Blaster/Tank...Blanker?  Blastanker?  Soft cap to S/L/F/C/E without Agility allowing you to pick Musc instead for your alpha slot.  1 small luck from capped on negative but does suffer from a Psi hole.  Resists are not great but I have the exact same numbers on my Fire/Atomic and it can handle the ITF at +4 with just the occasional luck needed when there is negative damage.  Perma hasten if you have 3 mobs within 15 feet or only 1 needed if you decide to take Agility.  Downside of no fast snipe so I skipped it as I would rather just run in and nuke everything anyway.  I may have to see what I can do if the beta updates make it to live if I can fit it in and still keep capped defenses.

Hero Plan by Mids' Hero Designer 2.22
http://www.cohplanner.com/

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 50 Mutation Blaster
Primary Power Set: Radiation Blast
Secondary Power Set: Atomic Manipulation
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Fighting
Power Pool: Leadership
Ancillary Pool: Mace Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: X-Ray Beam -- SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg(A), SprDfnBrr-Dmg/Rchg(3), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(3), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(5), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(5), SprDfnBrr-Rchg/+Status Protect(7)
Level 1: Electron Shackles -- Acc-I(A)
Level 2: Irradiate -- Obl-Dmg(A), Obl-Acc/Rchg(7), Obl-Dmg/Rchg(9), Obl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(9), Obl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(11), Obl-%Dam(11)
Level 4: Negatron Slam -- SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg(A), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx(15), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(15), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(17), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(17), SprBlsCol-Rchg/HoldProc(19)
Level 6: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(19), Rct-Def(21), Rct-ResDam%(50)
Level 8: Aim -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 10: Ionize -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 12: Super Jump -- BlsoftheZ-ResKB(A)
Level 14: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(21)
Level 16: Beta Decay -- HO:Enzym(A)
Level 18: Cosmic Burst -- SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg(A), SprWntBit-Dmg/Rchg(23), SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(23), SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(25), SprWntBit-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(25), SprWntBit-Rchg/SlowProc(27)
Level 20: Metabolic Acceleration -- PrfShf-End%(A), PrfShf-EndMod/Acc(27), PrfShf-EndMod(29)
Level 22: Boxing -- Empty(A)
Level 24: Tough -- StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(A), GldArm-3defTpProc(29), UnbGrd-Max HP%(31), UnbGrd-ResDam(31), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(31), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(33)
Level 26: Neutron Bomb -- SprFrzBls-Acc/Dmg(A), SprFrzBls-Dmg/EndRdx(33), SprFrzBls-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(33), SprFrzBls-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(34), SprFrzBls-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(34), SprFrzBls-Rchg/ImmobProc(34)
Level 28: Atom Smasher -- SprAvl-Acc/Dmg(A), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(36), SprAvl-Dmg/EndRdx(36), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(36), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(37), SprAvl-Rchg/KDProc(37)
Level 30: Weave -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A), Rct-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(37), Rct-Def(39), Rct-Def/EndRdx(39)
Level 32: Atomic Blast -- SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg(A), SprBlsWrt-Dmg/Rchg(39), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(40), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(40), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(40), SprBlsWrt-Rchg/Dmg%(42)
Level 35: Radioactive Cloud -- SprEnt-Acc/Hold(A), SprEnt-Hold/Rchg(42), SprEnt-End/Rchg(42), SprEnt-Acc/Hold/End(43), SprEnt-Acc/Hold/End/Rchg(43), SprEnt-Rchg/AbsorbProc(43)
Level 38: Positronic Fist -- Mk'Bit-Acc/Dmg(A), Mk'Bit-Dmg/EndRdx(45), Mk'Bit-Dmg/Rchg(45), Mk'Bit-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(45), Mk'Bit-Dam%(46), Mk'Bit-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(46)
Level 41: Scorpion Shield -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A), Rct-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(46), Rct-Def(48), Rct-Def/EndRdx(48)
Level 44: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A), Rct-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(48), Rct-Def(50), Rct-Def/EndRdx(50)
Level 47: Assault -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 49: Tactics -- HO:Cyto(A)
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Defiance 
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run 
Level 2: Swift -- Run-I(A)
Level 2: Health -- NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(A), Pnc-Heal/+End(13), Mrc-Rcvry+(13)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Jump-I(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A)
Level 0: Freedom Phalanx Reserve 
Level 0: Portal Jockey 
Level 0: Task Force Commander 
Level 0: The Atlas Medallion 
Level 50: Musculature Core Paragon 
------------

Thanks very much for posting your build, I'm definately going to give this a look at for my next toon.  How expensive is this build.. 1 bil?  Many thanks