Skippable Powers for Martial Assault

Mercurias

When I look over Martial Assault, I see a whole lot of really nice options. I was wondering if the folks who have experience with the set would be willing to weigh in on which powers are skippable, and which primaries they like to pair with it. I don't really see any primaries where it would really add or subtract anything except for that heavier damage sets like Plant or Fire would be able to get more out of its build-up power. 

I like it with Electric and Ice... Martial Assault has 4 AoEs that it can use in melee range (5 if you count Caltrops), and only 2 at range (and one of them only does splash damage in an AoE). So to get the most of its high AoE damage, you want to be in melee range, and so I would put it with the two sets that benefit the most from being in melee range.

Fire is not bad also, since it has Hot Feet, but I'm not sure if Fire can sustain Hot Feet and also throwing out constant AoE attacks. Of course, Ice has the same problem with Arctic Air costing a lot, but it still seems to be one of the few ways to make a solid Ice Control Dominator.