Use of /me narration text without name at the front?

Zodai

Specifically like - when using /me, the text turns into a white/italics narration format with the name in front.  I'm wondering if we could get the option to use that chat, or to have a separate similar command, without having our name appear at the front. It could make using narrative or descriptive text/writing a bit easier while Roleplaying, and I'm hoping it's something that wouldn't be difficult to implement.

Edited by Zodai

Nice to meet you, I write stuff! 😄

"A person can easily become the giver or receiver of pain.  In order to keep that from happening, one must always hold good feelings for others."

-Shiho Miyano, Detective Conan

She/her!

• Retired Game Master

This opens the door for harassment and trolling. Thirty people in a small area, which one is the one being completely obnoxious (or worse) that you want to report/ignore? Hard to tell without that name attached. Not a bad idea for what it would be used for, but accountability must remain or it will be abused.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hm... alright, I'll keep that in mind.  Maybe it could change how the name appears at the start formatting-wise somehow?  To at least make it stand out more from dialogue text or standard /me narration.

Something like "[NAME] - Italicized Narration Text" could make it clearer that the Name part is indicating a writer more than it is indicating a dialogue or that the name is itself part of the text.  ((Hopefully this response isn't being a bother at least, don't know for sure what's appropriate after receiving a response yet ^^;))

"A person can easily become the giver or receiver of pain.  In order to keep that from happening, one must always hold good feelings for others."

She/her!

• Retired Game Master

Working on ideas to improve them is always welcome!

So what you're suggesting would put out something like this:

[GM Sijin] - The leader's goons moved to block the path forward.

Are there any variations that would be preferable?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GM Sijin said:

Working on ideas to improve them is always welcome!

So what you're suggesting would put out something like this:

[GM Sijin] - The leader's goons moved to block the path forward.

Are there any variations that would be preferable?

Something like that, yeah

I'm not certain on variations yet.  The main priority is like, making sure it looks distinct from your regular chatting/dialogue text, alongside seeming reasonable enough to be intuited as narrative text.

The italics of the /me stuff probably works good for the text proper.  How the name shows up could probably be improved  - the brackets make it stand out but they exist in regards to like [Local] and [Team] designations as well, don't know if that changes things or not.  Having the - instead of : makes it look more like narration than it does dialogue for sure at least.

Which command to use to access it might be of note as well.  /nar for narration, /rp for roleplay and /dm for Dungeon Master have come to mind but I might be overthinking it.  I have a tendency to do that.

She/her!

This sounds awesome. The other option would be to make the whole text respond to mouse clicks and count as the name of the person who typed it, for purposes of context menus? That way it looks visually like narration, and you can even use it for emotes that don't start with your character name, but when you left- or right-click on any portion of the text, it will bring up the appropriate context menu with the name of the character who typed it.

If that's possible...?

[EDIT]: Or perhaps adding something that is otherwise a duplicate of /e in terms of function (so it will have nameless italics in your overhead chat bubble but name-prefixed italics in the chat window), but change just the name portion to a black text that blends in with the chat window background (when window opacity is set to 100%)? That way it is there, and hoverable/clickable as normal, but not immediately visible to a person reading it, which makes it as good as absent unless you need it to report/ignore a bad actor?

Something like:
[Narration - Crysta Clear] - My emote text here.

Edited by Crysta Clear
new idea