New pets ATs based off the mastermind

Neowulf

Just two ideas I've had since the early days of CoV. The names are crap but I believe the concepts would be fun to play.

Tactician: Near identical to the Mastermind AT but instead of support pool secondary, they get control pool secondaries. Focuses on damage mitigation through enemy disables.

Inherent- Attacks of Opportunity. Pets do additional damage to mobs affected by some sort of control power, with different bonuses for different controls. So a small bonus for immobilized mobs, scaling up to the highest bonus for sleep targets. The bonus stacks with multiple effects on a target, like held and immobilized. Also keep the bodyguard effect.

Assaulter: Diverging from the normal MM AT, Assaulters pick a ranged damage primary and a pet secondary. Their primary focus is as a glass cannon. Overwhelm their targets with mass damage before the enemy gets a chance to take them out.

Inherent- Group distraction. AKA "He did it." Aggro the Assaulter generated redirected to their active pets, split evenly.

Pets as a secondary would require some alteration of the pool.

First, relocate the pet summon powers so they are available at the 1, 16, and 28 spots. Keep the extra first and second tier pets showing up at 6, 18, and 24.

Second, keep the upgrades where they are so they unlock at 10 and 38. Maybe move the second upgrade to the lvl25 spot, but that would push the bonus power previously unlocked at 18 into the 38 spot.

Third, the three attack powers get replaced with theme compatible buff or recovery powers from buff sets. Something to help keep the pets going during and after battle but not stuff that distracts the from the primary pool. Like empathy's single target heal, AoE heal, and mezz protect for soldiers. Or warmth and the two fire shields from thermal for demons.

Pets are not a good thing to proliferate.  They're tons of fun but create tons of problems as well; developing them, balancing them, and just the resources to run them are all significantly more work than other types of set.

They were pretty ambitious even for a reasonably well-funded studio like Paragon.  I don't think we're likely to see (m)any new Pet powersets, much less any (non-Epic) Pet ATs.

No-Set Builds: Tanker Scrapper Brute Stalker

Just two ideas I've had since the early days of CoV. The names are crap but I believe the concepts would be fun to play.

Tactician: Near identical to the Mastermind AT but instead of support pool secondary, they get control pool secondaries. Focuses on damage mitigation through enemy disables.

Inherent- Attacks of Opportunity. Pets do additional damage to mobs affected by some sort of control power, with different bonuses for different controls. So a small bonus for immobilized mobs, scaling up to the highest bonus for sleep targets. The bonus stacks with multiple effects on a target, like held and immobilized. Also keep the bodyguard effect.

Assaulter: Diverging from the normal MM AT, Assaulters pick a ranged damage primary and a pet secondary. Their primary focus is as a glass cannon. Overwhelm their targets with mass damage before the enemy gets a chance to take them out.

Inherent- Group distraction. AKA "He did it." Aggro the Assaulter generated redirected to their active pets, split evenly.

Pets as a secondary would require some alteration of the pool.

First, relocate the pet summon powers so they are available at the 1, 16, and 28 spots. Keep the extra first and second tier pets showing up at 6, 18, and 24.

Second, keep the upgrades where they are so they unlock at 10 and 38. Maybe move the second upgrade to the lvl25 spot, but that would push the bonus power previously unlocked at 18 into the 38 spot.

Third, the three attack powers get replaced with theme compatible buff or recovery powers from buff sets. Something to help keep the pets going during and after battle but not stuff that distracts the from the primary pool. Like empathy's single target heal, AoE heal, and mezz protect for soldiers. Or warmth and the two fire shields from thermal for demons.

Just make Assaulter MM Primary/Ranged Damage Secondary  You could also do a beastlord type of thing and do MM Primary/Melee Damage secondary.  I love these ideas though.

Pets are not a good thing to proliferate.  They're tons of fun but create tons of problems as well; developing them, balancing them, and just the resources to run them are all significantly more work than other types of set.

They were pretty ambitious even for a reasonably well-funded studio like Paragon.  I don't think we're likely to see (m)any new Pet powersets, much less any (non-Epic) Pet ATs.

They are a piece of cake... Nothing is difficult about making new sets for masterminds from sets that already exist. Their are GRIPS of enemy models you could use for the pets or use the costume maker and create your own.

They are a piece of cake... Nothing is difficult about making new sets for masterminds from sets that already exist. Their are GRIPS of enemy models you could use for the pets or use the costume maker and create your own.

I didn't mean the costumes.

What did you mean exactly? If you're talking about balance just look at brutes that are immune to nerfs and get back to me.

Just make Assaulter MM Primary/Ranged Damage Secondary  You could also do a beastlord type of thing and do MM Primary/Melee Damage secondary.  I love these ideas though.

The reason I went with making the pets the secondary set is I felt the AT should primarily be about their own ranged damage, with the pets being backup.

Plus it double dips the ranged damage powers to have the 3 pets pool attacks in place. If you've got a full set of secondary ranged powers to pick from, why pick the filler attacks from the primary?

Also, melee/pets. May require an inherent change to get some serious defense going, and swapping the pet pool attacks for defenses. But wildman leaping into the fray with your wolves... Oh yeah baby.

Plus it double dips the ranged damage powers to have the 3 pets pool attacks in place. If you've got a full set of secondary ranged powers to pick from, why pick the filler attacks from the primary?

Why not replace the attacks for that AT then?

I'm sure you could probably fit in some control or support powers into those slots that are thematically appropriate without being overpowered or stepping on Defenders and Corruptors. They only have three, generally kinda piddly attacks. For example, replace the laser attacks in Robotics with powers from Traps or Devices, replace the attacks from Necromancy with powers from Dark Miasma, and so on.

Why not replace the attacks for that AT then?

I'm sure you could probably fit in some control or support powers into those slots that are thematically appropriate without being overpowered or stepping on Defenders and Corruptors. They only have three, generally kinda piddly attacks. For example, replace the laser attacks in Robotics with powers from Traps or Devices, replace the attacks from Necromancy with powers from Dark Miasma, and so on.

That's the idea. Swap the 3 attacks with heals/buffs from other sets that stay with the particular pet's theme. I just feel it's better to do it as an AT secondary pool version. To emphasize the ranged damage pool side of the AT.