Level 24: Beasts/FF Compared to Bots/FF Defenses - The Numbers

SmalltalkJava

I was thinking about the other thread that shows pets base defenses and resist numbers. https://forums.homecomingservers.com/index.php/topic,5003.0.html    That in turn, got me thinking about in game comparisons with Force Fields.  I just happened to have a level 24 Beasts/FF and 24 Bots/FF.  Neither of which has any +Def slotted in any skills.  I wanted to get an idea of their defense differences for several reasons.

1. Not casting Fortify Pack keeps the Pack Mentality crit buff going. So more damage.  But how close does it get to cap without using Fortify Pack

2. Protector Bots have Force Shield,  how does this compare to the inherent defense stat that Beasts have.

3. are the aura IO's necessary on bots and beasts if you use /FF. Which would allow you to slot something else.

----Level 24 Unslotted Bots/FF VS Beasts/FF ----

Ranged DEF

Battle Drone 1

Total:  36.38 %

Maneuvers                +2.63 From Lord Varas

Force Shield              +7.50% from Protector Bot

Dispersion Bubble      +7.50 from Lord Varas

Insulation Shield        +11.25% from Lord Varas

Base Defense            +0.00%

Protector Bot 1

Total:  28.88 %

Maneuvers                 +2.63 From Lord Varas

Dispersion Bubble      +7.50 from Lord Varas

Insulation Shield        +11.25% from Lord Varas

Base Defense              +0.00%

---- Beasts without Foritfy Pack ----

Ranged DEF

Howler Wolf 1

Total:  31.32 %

Resistence               +9.95% from Self

Maneuvers               +2.63 From Nature Conservancy

Dispersion Bubble    +7.50 from Nature Conservancy

Insulation Shield      +11.25% from Nature Conservancy

Lioness 1

Total:  32.48 %

Resistence               +11.10% from Self

Base Defense          +0.00%

-- Beasts  Lions Roar adds +6.00% for each Lioness that casts it.  Lasts 15 seconds, recharge 1 minute

-- If both casts happen to sync then it is +12.00% total for 15 seconds.

-- Howler Wolf 1: 37.32  If 1 Lion Roars

-- HOwler Wolf 1: 43.32  If 2 Lions Roar

------ Fortify Cast with 0 stacks Pack Mentality -------------

Ranged DEF

Howler Wolf 1

Total:  36.32 %

Resistence               +9.95% from Self

Fortify Pack              +5.00% from Nature Conservancy

Lioness 1

Total:  37.48 %

Resistence               +11.10% from Self

Fortify Pack              +5.00% from Nature Conservancy

I did another quick test with just Bots/FF  with one level 25 crafted IO slotted in Protector Bots, Dispersion Bubble, and Insulation Shield.

Ranged Def

Battle Drone 1

Total:  42.68 %

Maneuvers              +2.63 From Lord Varas

Force Shield            +8.85% from Protector Bot

Dispersion Bubble    +8.94 from Lord Varas

Insulation Shield      +13.41% from Lord Varas

Protector Bot 1 

Total:  33.83 %

Maneuvers              +2.63 From Lord Varas

Dispersion Bubble    +8.94 from Lord Varas

Insulation Shield      +13.41% from Lord Varas

Note:  I didn't put an IO in Maneuvers.  Afterwards I did and it just raised the totals to 43.18 and 34.33 respectively. So from +2.63 to +3.13% with 1 level 25 crafted IO.

Same slot test with Beats/FF  with one level 25 crafted IO slotted in Dispersion Bubble, and Insulation Shield.

Ranged Def

Howler Wolf 1

Total:  34.92 % With  1 Roar active:  40.92;  2 Roars Active 46.92

Maneuvers              +2.63 From Nature Conservancy

Resistance              +9.95 from Self

Dispersion Bubble    +8.94 from Nature Conservancy

Insulation Shield      +13.41% from Nature Conservancy

Lioness 1 

Total:  36.08 % With  1 Roar Active: 42.08;  2 Roars Active 48.08

Maneuvers              +2.63 From Nature Conservancy

Resistance              +11.10% from Self

Dispersion Bubble    +8.94 from Nature Conservancy

Insulation Shield      +13.41% from Nature Conservancy

Important NOTE: Lioness Roar with one slotted 25 IO did NOT go up in value.  It remained at +6.00 for each lioness.

Unless I am missing something...  I did not see any effect from slotting + DEF IO on the Lioness.

1 slotted bubbles Wolf Def is 34.92  - 1 roar makes it go to 40.92 minimum for 25% of the time. and even 46.92 if there is overlap.  So you will get quite a lot of bouncing around.

1 slotted bubbles on Lioness def is 36.08 with bouncing up to 42.08 and 48.08 depending on roar timing.

IMO, I think that in +def sets, Beats loses out to Bots, Thugs and Ninja.  The reason is that all of those are higher base damage, and you will be able to cap each anyway. 

Where I think that Bots shine is in a set that is lacking defense due strictly to Fortify the Pack.  Power Boosted Fortify will allow Beasts to self cap with 4 Stacks of Call.  That opens up primaries that normally do not add much defense.  IMO, that is why Beast/Kin works so well.  Fortify makes up the defense hole in Kin, and Kin makes up for the damage hole in Beasts.  It still is not as safe as a regular defense Build, but it will put out more damage.

Don't get me wrong, Beast/FF is completely viable, and you will probably have quite a few less faceplants with it then relying on Fortify to cap you.  My only point is that I think that Fortify is the selling point of Beasts, and a defense set reduces the value of fortify. 

IMO, I think that in +def sets, Beats loses out to Bots, Thugs and Ninja.  The reason is that all of those are higher base damage, and you will be able to cap each anyway. 

Where I think that Bots shine is in a set that is lacking defense due strictly to Fortify the Pack.  Power Boosted Fortify will allow Beasts to self cap with 4 Stacks of Call.  That opens up primaries that normally do not add much defense.  IMO, that is why Beast/Kin works so well.  Fortify makes up the defense hole in Kin, and Kin makes up for the damage hole in Beasts.  It still is not as safe as a regular defense Build, but it will put out more damage.

Don't get me wrong, Beast/FF is completely viable, and you will probably have quite a few less faceplants with it then relying on Fortify to cap you.  My only point is that I think that Fortify is the selling point of Beasts, and a defense set reduces the value of fortify.

Granted I'm not near level 50 yet on any MM, so my input has no real basis in reality.  But it appears that if you have Fulcrum Shift and the beasts are at the damage cap, then the bonus damage from Pack Mentality probably won't do anything.  I"m not sure if crits go above damage cap or not.    I was really trying to find if there was a simple way to get the beasts at defence cap and not have to use Fortify Pack.  That way you could have the +crits and capped defense on them and maybe add other procs into the shields.  On a side note i'm not really sure if there are any worthwhile procs to put in the shields anyways.

Oh, Capping with Fortify is a bit of a pain, and I can see where many would not want to deal with the micro managing.  I like the frantic playstyle, but it is as safe as Beasts paired with a defense set.  Nothing wrong with Beasts/FF if you enjoy it, and it is superior from a defensive point of view.  I do miss  +def for the mastermind toon as well as Mez protection for all, I am just addicted to the damage.   

I am pretty sure Crits go beyond damage cap, so that is still a bonus of Fortify.  As far as lack of stacks of call, it really become irrelevant for a Beast/Kin.  10 stacks gets you 20% extra damage.  With Fulcrum Shift you will be around 200%-300% during normal times anyway, so an extra 20% is not as large of a loss as it would be with other other sets.  Now, being 220% instead of 200% is good, but not nearly as good at 200% damage and capped defenses.