"Can not find NCLauncher!"

TNTComics

I played CoH on my iMac (running 10.11.6) in Safe Mode for several hours last night; no problems. Tonight I go to play online with a friend, the game tells me I need to update to the latest version (which I did last night). But okay, maybe there's a new patch or something. I re-scan, the game downloads again, I go to start it and I get this message: "Error. Can not (sic) find NCLauncher! Please locate the application, run it, and try this shortcut again."

First I try relaunching the game in Safe Mode; I am told I need to update the game. I try to launch in regular Homecoming mode; I need to update. I download all the files again, STILL need to update. I double-check my manifest; it's current. I go to Reset Path; NCLauncher is in my Applications list. I select and save, but when I launch the game in Homecoming or Safe Mode, it still tells me to update.

I finally do as the error message instructed and launch the NCLauncher, which takes me to the old NCSoft website. Close out of that, launch the game, and I go back to the website time and time again. I guess I'll download everything YET again. All evening of this and I didn't get to play with my friend. I'm attaching images of the messages and Island Rum window.

Screen Shot 2019-09-11 at 9.03.24 p.png

Screen Shot 2019-09-11 at 9.14.48 p.png

Screen Shot 2019-09-11 at 9.18.58 p.png

I don't think Island Rum or Tequila utilize the old NCSoft Launcher in any way.  All the patching is done by Island Rum and Tequila themselves, and the game executables are Homecoming.exe and whatever for the Beta server.  Alas, that's where my knowledge runs out.  Maybe drop a line in the thread below since that's where most of the Mac troubleshooting happens.

The last time I patched the Safe Mode client, it updated the wrong directory in the .app.  It updated the files in Contents/Resources/Transgaming/drive_c/coh , but the files that Island Rum actually uses to run the game are in Contents/Resources/Transgaming/c_drive/coh.  I had to Show Package Contents on City of Heroes.app, and then manually copy the files in the /piggs and /updates folder from the former directory to the latter before I could get the Safe Mode client working correctly.  (Justin or Pineapple or whatever still isn't running right, and the game hard crashes when I try to load power customizations, but it's still working better than the 32-bit or 64-bit client, which don't open at all)

8 hours ago, Korbian said:

I don't think Island Rum or Tequila utilize the old NCSoft Launcher in any way.  All the patching is done by Island Rum and Tequila themselves, and the game executables are Homecoming.exe and whatever for the Beta server.  Alas, that's where my knowledge runs out.  Maybe drop a line in the thread below since that's where most of the Mac troubleshooting happens.

I agree, Korbian. The new game shouldn't be using something that has anything to do with NCSoft anymore. Following the actual instructions in the error message was a desperate, last ditch effort on my part to try to get the game to work. I'm restoring the pre-update version of the game from my backup drive to try again. If it doesn't work, I'll be visiting the thread you posted. Thanks!

Edited by TNTComics

7 hours ago, Williwaw said:

The last time I patched the Safe Mode client, it updated the wrong directory in the .app.  It updated the files in Contents/Resources/Transgaming/drive_c/coh , but the files that Island Rum actually uses to run the game are in Contents/Resources/Transgaming/c_drive/coh.  I had to Show Package Contents on City of Heroes.app, and then manually copy the files in the /piggs and /updates folder from the former directory to the latter before I could get the Safe Mode client working correctly.  (Justin or Pineapple or whatever still isn't running right, and the game hard crashes when I try to load power customizations, but it's still working better than the 32-bit or 64-bit client, which don't open at all)

I'm not seeing a Transgaming folder in the .app package:

Screen Shot 2019-09-13 at 6.22.24 p.png

I think I'm having a similar problem. Island Rum seems to be trying to open CoH through NCLauncher. I keep getting a warning message reading "The NCLauncher was unable to reach the web address 'launcher.ncsoft.com.' This could cause unexpected issues to occur with NCLauncher. If this problem persists, please contact NCsoft Customer Support for assistance."