New PVP Dom Min/Ice build request

Sublime

Heya! Been highly addicted to pvp for since Live but never get into Doms, since im more melee or big dmg kinda guy.. Then saw M3z post Dom tier list (pvp) and having loong though of making Ice char it immediately clicked me, Mind/ice! Thats it! 

So if any1 could throw ball bout slotting that would greatly appreciated, im goin 20´ish atm but hitting that 50 in no time! 😄

Don't waste your time with a dom, specially a*/ice : they do anemic damages. You'll be disappointed and kind of frustrated to see that mezz is almost useless.

Now it's City of Blasters... and... some other things (like 70%/30%)

Blasters just have all for themself, and recent changes just help digging the gap :

-better hp pool than most squishies (just... why ? really...)

-excellent absorb shield or huge regen

-outranging most  ATs

-big damage

When you see  in 1vs1 that a single proc (Fortunata's Placate) can outvalue any mezz, you can tell there's a problem somewhere.

47 minutes ago, Funkenstein said:

Don't waste your time with a dom, specially a*/ice : they do anemic damages. You'll be disappointed and kind of frustrated to see that mezz is almost useless.

I disagree with pretty much all of this, yeah perhaps if all you do is 1v1's (and maybe zone) youll think this, but if you do any team pvp youll realise that doms are always the high value target for the opposing team to call, because 4 second holds are stupidly strong.

also didnt they recently buff ice so that it does pretty legit damage now?

yeah blasters are good and easy and whatnot, but doms still very much have a place in team pvp

anyway, i dont have a build, but some guidelines would be capped (1606) health, between 41 and 48 kb protection (can get away with less if you want to take the risk), min 60% recharge, a res shield (i think leviathan mastery is the meta atm), speed (hasten, ss), leaping (sj and acro, cj is useful for slotting kb protection), leadership (tactics) and concealment (phase shift) for power pools, and then whatever flavour you want after that, personally i like slotting for range bonuses

• Like 1

Ok

let me reformulate then :

If in team environnement you want to be a priority target go Dom.

If in zone/1vs1/wathever you want to be outclassed by most of encounters go Dom.

Honestly, if they're that good in team environnement, why don't we see none or so few in kb/arena matches ?

As for the build guidelines, i just want to point one atavic thing : do you see lots of forcefielders or powerpushers ?

1 hour ago, Funkenstein said:

Honestly, if they're that good in team environnement, why don't we see none or so few in kb/arena matches ?

we dont see many in kb because no one likes getting farmed, but the ones you do see always have a high impact.

as for scrims and whatnot, havnt rare been running triple dom teams lately? (yeah yeah i know its because of the clean spike, but still). i know that other teams, including mine, have been talking about using doms a lot too, though talking and playing are different things 

1 hour ago, Funkenstein said:

As for the build guidelines, i just want to point one atavic thing : do you see lots of forcefielders or powerpushers ?

yeah i do, i see people kb checking peeps all the time, keeping people honest. tbh this is one of those things that you can metagame (which is why i said you can get away with less). peeps dont run knockbacks because peeps run knockback protection, and so you can abuse that by not running knockback protection. this is completely fine, until you go up against someone who starts knocking you back, then you have a really bad time. the choice is yours

from the sounds of it, our differing opinions come from the fact that we pvp in different ways, i tend to stay in arena matches and you like to zone, thats perfectly fine. i just want to point out that statements like:

3 hours ago, Funkenstein said:

are not completely true, there are use cases where doms are good (and equally there are use cases where they are bad)

So instead of sample build this escalated into debate. 

@Funkenstein i know that much at life as Dom in pvp grounds aint easiest either pretty but im determined that i could make it worht my while since im used to play as underdog in other games that include pvp in ways so lets just say i like the challenge 😉

@MJB Do we got any guilds that could recruit or help us pvp lovers level faster so we could get ourselves into that fightning goodness?

14 minutes ago, Sublime said:

Do we got any guilds that could recruit or help us pvp lovers level faster so we could get ourselves into that fightning goodness?

not that i know of, there is the pvp discord (stickied a level up) but in general you are kind of on your own unless you get some nice friends, i know @M3z has some videos on his youtube about making a farmer/setting up a new toon and whatnot so you can be easily self sufficient, but thats about it

So some bare bones tips in my opinion:

Hold: Dominate

• You can either go the damage or hold duration route (I would do the hold route for a couple of reasons):
    • Damage route: 2 acc/damage IO's and 4 damage proc io's
    • Hold duration route: Use the ATO set Ascendancy of the Dominator with the chance for +DMG buff proc

Attacks: Bitter Ice Blast, Ice Blast, Ice Bolt

• Bitter Ice Blast: 2 acc/damage IO's and i think you can 4 slot it for damage proc io's
  • Ice Blast: standard slotting with 2 dmg procs
  • Ice Bot: standard slotting with 2 dmg procs

Utility: Power Build Up

• 5 gaussians with chance for build up proc

Attack chain

Power build up (will buff damage and hold duration) - Dominate (will buff damage) - Bitter ice blast-ice blast-ice bolt

I feel like slotting for hold duration would be useful because of the +special of power build up and Domination - resulting is heavy lockdown.

Then just slot for extras using other power.

EDIT oh and to help level up, just can just usually go to an AE and ask if anyone has a spot on a farm.  I've leveled up a bunch of characters by just asking and being polite.  They dont even ask for money lol.

Edited by vegetableknife