Major lag spikes

headchunks

I just installed the game and its not playable due to immense lag spikes depending on where i'm looking at.

Doesn't matter what settings i'm on, lowest or highest, if I look away from other players it runs smoothly, now when I look up to someone the game just goes to hell.

I have an intel hd graphics 520 but it should be able to run the game smoothly...

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29274/Intel-Graphics-Windows-10-DCH-Drivers?product=88355

make sure you have the newest driver. as it onboard cpu video check the bios and window driver make sure it set to max video ram.

under  controlls turn of cammra shake. if your on a laptop see if your using power saving settings.

18 hours ago, microc said:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29274/Intel-Graphics-Windows-10-DCH-Drivers?product=88355

make sure you have the newest driver. as it onboard cpu video check the bios and window driver make sure it set to max video ram.

under  controlls turn of cammra shake. if your on a laptop see if your using power saving settings.

I updated all my drivers and my cpu is using max video ram, no camera shake and no power saving settings. Still the same issue 😕

I'm able to run other games fine but this one seems to have a problem..

On 1/18/2020 at 5:57 PM, headchunks said:

I just installed the game and its not playable due to immense lag spikes depending on where i'm looking at.

Doesn't matter what settings i'm on, lowest or highest, if I look away from other players it runs smoothly, now when I look up to someone the game just goes to hell.

I have an intel hd graphics 520 but it should be able to run the game smoothly...

Just FYI, I'm running CoH on a Dell laptop with an HD520 video card. I sometimes have problems on certain maps (mostly caves) worse on certain players (my cold MM is the worst) but overall it's completely playable and on office maps for example there's no lag at all. Fine 90% of the time. 

Atlas Park for some reason is a bit laggy and I avoid it. 

Go into the Intel graphics control panel and make sure the power tab says graphics gets maximum performance.  On the 3D panel, set everything to application defaults but turn off "conservative morphological anti-aliasing"

5 hours ago, eknudson said:

Just FYI, I'm running CoH on a Dell laptop with an HD520 video card. I sometimes have problems on certain maps (mostly caves) worse on certain players (my cold MM is the worst) but overall it's completely playable and on office maps for example there's no lag at all. Fine 90% of the time. 

Atlas Park for some reason is a bit laggy and I avoid it. 

Go into the Intel graphics control panel and make sure the power tab says graphics gets maximum performance.  On the 3D panel, set everything to application defaults but turn off "conservative morphological anti-aliasing"

Yeah I have a dell laptop with an HD520 too and I have the same settings on control panel, but the game is unplayable anywhere I go 😕

12 minutes ago, eknudson said:

What directory did you install CoH into?

Check power options / advanced settings / intel graphics settings and make sure it's set to "maximum performance".

Everything I have is set to maxium performance.

CoH is installed at C:\Program Files (x86)\City of Heroes

9 hours ago, Troo said:

curious to know if this worked.

Nothing mentioned in this topic helped. I managed to be able to play in the villain town where there is a low player base and walking around looking down at the floor at my character, there's still frame spikes at some points but its playable. Atlas Park is extremely laggy as @eknudson said but if I just avoid high player areas I'm fine.

I can't say that performance is awesome with that card but it should certainly be far better than that-- if you haven't, take a look at this reference on graphics settings https://paragonwiki.com/wiki/The_Players'_Guide_to_the_Cities/User_Interface/Options_Window#Graphics_Options and set many of your advanced graphics options accordingly like texture quality and max particle count. For some reason for me, certain cave missions are frustrating (mostly on teams) and Atlas Park is slow but everything else runs pretty well.