What is 'PROCing' and why/how does it benefit a Corr

Sou1catcher

I keep seeing people talking about PROCs and am curious about what they are and how do they benefit builds, particularly Corrupters.

A link to something that will Dumb it Down to the basics without throwing tons of Math would work best until I get a better grasp as to what I am looking at.

A PROC is a "programmed random occurrence," in most games they are a chance something happens like a debuff or +damage and before CoH shut down they were IOs with a chance to go off (10%, 20%, etc.). Now with i24/i25 they were all changed to procs per minute based on the base recharge of the power. Procs have a maximium chance of 90%, so if a proc was 4 procs per minute and you put that in a power that had a recharge of 15 seconds (4x15=60=1 minute) then the proc would have the maximum chance to proc. Another example: A proc with a ppm of 3 in a power that has a recharge of 10 seconds would have a 50% chance to proc (as long as I did that mental math right). However, when you add recharge reductions to powers it lowers the calculated base recharge of procs and therefore the proc chance of the proc (because it is now based on procs per minute), but global recharge (hasten, enhancement sets, buffs, and recharge procs) do not affect the proc chance.

What this means in practice for corruptors is that you can now do more damage by adding a lot of procs to your powers (but avoiding recharge enhancements). Every build can benefit from an understanding of how this all works, but the corruptor sets that really benefit from the proc changes is /time, /FF, and I suppose /kin if you care nothing about defenses. It benefits those sets because they either have a lot of +recharge, +defense (so you can concentrate on other things in your build), or both (/time man.....it has everything you'd want for proc builds). 

Here is a thread in the defender forum talking about this and why it matters. Beware: there will be math.

Edited by Darkir
  • Like 1