Giving Sentinels another shot

Snarky

I am giving Sentinels another shot.  I ties so many combos when we first got back.  this time is a little different.  I am exploring a character concept I am doing some writing on.  A vampire.  I chose a Dark/Dark Sentinel due to having the right feel for the character more than anything else.

I am going to be slamming procs/globals, sets like Overwhelming Force on.  Maybe even Purple it out.  But not going for a "Build" per se.  Just dropping on some power.  I have read some of the Dark/Dark threads here with great interest. There were some deep discussions and incredibly well articulated analyses. Thank you.

Since I am running the character just to amuse myself instead of min/max or perfect build searching I have this feeling I will really enjoy the AT. we all know Sentinels are...well, being looked at I hear.  There are a thousand good and well reasoned changes that have been offered up.  I would offer a simple one.  Take the Sentinel inherent.  Give it it's own power button(s) like Domination.  No to-hit check.  No choosing it by what power fires/hits.  Just choose which power up mode you want and move on.  Not the only tuning the AT needs but it would help greatly. 

I have a feeling this will be the first Sentinel I Incarnate.

One question I would ask. What would be the better choice between Dark Epic and Soul Mastery Epic? and, of course, why?

7 hours ago, Snarky said:

One question I would ask. What would be the better choice between Dark Epic and Soul Mastery Epic? and, of course, why?

Darkest Night all by itself is a bit overrated.  In Dark Mastery you do gain access to Smite, Engulfing Darkness, and Netherworld Grasp (I think that's the name??).  These 3 powers are all rather decent.  You don't need to slot the Epic hold like a micro nuke in order for it to be useful, but it is an option.  So with that said, I tend to prefer Dark Mastery over Soul Mastery as I feel the tools are generally more useful.  Midnight Grasp in Soul can be very powerful but its base recharge was longer than I cared to tinker with. 

Another Epic pool that I feel is thematic to the vampire idea is Psychic Mastery.  Mass Hypnosis and Dominate are both representative of the mind control powers of the classic vampire.  Mind Probe colored red has a quasi blood/life force look to it.  Link Minds is you sharing your psyche with others.  All of these powers are great and all well within a theme. 

I have an entire stable of vampiric characters that go all the way back to my first 50.  I did play with Dark/Dark/Dark for a bit but ultimately swapped that concept to a Dark/Dark Controller.  My Sentinel that fills that concept is Water Blast/Dark Armor with red colorings.  For a time, she ran Psychic Mastery doing everything I just mentioned above where the D3 ran with Smite/Engulfing Darkness. 

Bonus points:

Use the Soul Noir with the armors and the "with eyes".  Use primary black and secondary red.  This will give you glowing red eyes whenever the armor with it is active.  For the Aura in the costume menu select the bats, and I prefer when in combat only.  Get yourself a macro for the villain pose and use that while in Atlas Park or where ever.  It looks pretty rad when using Hover/Fly to pose with shadowy bats swarming around you while armors are up. 

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later

Vampire Sentinel is a good excuse to make a Water/Bio Sentinel. 😛

Color everything red, make it as close to blood as possible. Works especially well with Bio Armor, think Legacy of Kain.

Dark Armor is awkward on Sentinels, it really wants to be paired with a sentinel set that has a lot of PBAoEs and short range cones. At least, if you plan to use the set to its full potential. It's better paired with something like Rad.