Ice/Ice/Ice Tank Build Critique

Sirken1138

Before I start putting the pieces together, I wanted to get some feedback from you fine folk. My first goal was capping defense across the board. Second, was building resistance to S/L/F. Third was maxmizing the "control" aspects of my powers (holds, knockdowns, slows, etc) and finally building damage and recharge into the build to be useful in a fight. 

Abomb 3-24-20.mxd

You've got a pretty solid build there, and Energy Absorption +  Radial Boost will put your Fire/Cold just above 45%.

Something I like to do, and it's really cheap, is slot the Winter's Gift Slow Resist into Super Jump.  I know Ice has a lot of slow resist to start with, but that just kind of puts the icing on the cake.

One more thing, you only have 1 attack until 10 then 2 attacks until 28.  You're going to slog along unless you have a team that you regularly play with and don't plan on Exemplaring.

As a comparison, here's my Ice/Ice/Ice build, it gives up quite a bit of S/L resist, but gives you more F/C defense

Spoiler

Hero Plan by Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer 2.6.0.7
https://github.com/ImaginaryDevelopment/imaginary-hero-designer

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Vanilla Baby: Level 50 Natural Tanker
Primary Power Set: Ice Armor
Secondary Power Set: Ice Melee
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Fighting
Ancillary Pool: Arctic Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Frozen Armor -- LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(A), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(3), RedFrt-Def/EndRdx(13), RedFrt-Def(21)
Level 1: Frozen Fists -- MckBrt-Taunt(A), MckBrt-Taunt/Rchg(5), MckBrt-Acc/Rchg(13), MckBrt-Taunt/Rchg/Rng(34), MckBrt-Rchg(45)
Level 2: Ice Sword -- KntCmb-Acc/Dmg(A), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx(3), KntCmb-Dmg/Rchg(11), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(34), KntCmb-Knock%(43)
Level 4: Frost -- Ann-Acc/Dmg(A), Ann-Dmg/Rchg(5), Ann-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(11), Ann-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(23), Ann-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(34), Ann-ResDeb%(40)
Level 6: Wet Ice -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 8: Hoarfrost -- RctArm-ResDam/EndRdx(A), RctArm-ResDam/Rchg(9), RctArm-EndRdx/Rchg(9), RctArm-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(17), RctArm-ResDam(17), DctWnd-Heal/Rchg(37)
Level 10: Taunt -- Empty(A)
Level 12: Chilling Embrace -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 14: Icicles -- SprAvl-Acc/Dmg(A), SprAvl-Dmg/EndRdx(15), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(15), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(25), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(25), SprAvl-Rchg/KDProc(31)
Level 16: Permafrost -- StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(A), GldArm-3defTpProc(46)
Level 18: Glacial Armor -- LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(A), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(19), RedFrt-Def/EndRdx(19), RedFrt-Def(21)
Level 20: Ice Patch -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(23)
Level 22: Combat Jumping -- ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(A), WntGif-ResSlow(50)
Level 24: Boxing -- Empty(A)
Level 26: Energy Absorption -- LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(A), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(27), PrfShf-EndMod/Rchg(27), EffAdp-EndMod/Rchg(31)
Level 28: Freezing Touch -- SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg(A), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx(29), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(29), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(31), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(37), SprBlsCol-Rchg/HoldProc(46)
Level 30: Tough -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 32: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(A), LucoftheG-Def(33), RedFrt-Def/EndRdx(33), RedFrt-Def(33)
Level 35: Greater Ice Sword -- SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg(A), SprGntFis-Dmg/Rchg(36), SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(36), SprGntFis-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(36), SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(37), SprGntFis-Rchg/+Absorb(46)
Level 38: Frozen Aura -- Erd-Dmg(A), Erd-Acc/Rchg(39), Erd-Dmg/Rchg(39), Erd-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(39), Erd-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(40), CaloftheS-Heal%(40)
Level 41: Block of Ice -- SprEnt-Acc/Hold(A), SprEnt-Hold/Rchg(42), SprEnt-End/Rchg(42), SprEnt-Acc/Hold/End(42), SprEnt-Acc/Hold/End/Rchg(43), SprEnt-Rchg/AbsorbProc(43)
Level 44: Ice Blast -- MlsFur-Acc/Dmg(A), MlsFur-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(45), MlsFur-Dmg/EndRdx(45)
Level 47: Ice Storm -- SprFrzBls-Acc/Dmg(A), SprFrzBls-Dmg/EndRdx(48), SprFrzBls-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(48), SprFrzBls-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(48), SprFrzBls-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(50), SprFrzBls-Rchg/ImmobProc(50)
Level 49: Hibernate -- DctWnd-Heal/Rchg(A)
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Gauntlet 
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Run-I(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run 
Level 2: Swift -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Health -- Mrc-Rcvry+(A), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(7)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- EndMod-I(A), EndMod-I(7)
Level 50: Agility Partial Radial Revamp 
Level 50: Melee Partial Core Graft 
------------

What this team needs is more Defenders

Thanks for the feedback. I don’t think exemping will be an issue as it will only be for TFs or when I duo with my RL buddy. I had a build where I maxxed out all defenses(except psi) into the 50s but had no s/l resist and was encouraged to chase some down so I did. I will definitely slot the slow resist proc. I am already 50 so the slog has been slogged lol. 

Finding 5 slots for combat jumping is kind of tragic to me, they must be better off elsewhere. I don't have a build at hand to contribute but I just think more thought could be given. Use sets to bring either a large amount of recharge down or end cost down, work out which set does which and put them in the powers that benefit from it, it's not just bonuses, some people put a set together and gimp a power itself needlessly. I will say merging the best of both builds here is something I would consider, comparing power to power.

Some players make their characters all about them, if it doesn't help them, they don't want it, their build advice to you will ofcourse be about making your character the best thing that helps them too if they ever team with you, because it's always about them.

13 hours ago, Sirken1138 said:

Before I start putting the pieces together, I wanted to get some feedback from you fine folk. My first goal was capping defense across the board. Second, was building resistance to S/L/F. Third was maxmizing the "control" aspects of my powers (holds, knockdowns, slows, etc) and finally building damage and recharge into the build to be useful in a fight.

I did a rebuild of what you had with things switched up more to my general liking.  I tried to stay with your basic framework so as to give you some possible usable ideas.

Sacrificed:  2.5% S/L Resist, 1.5% E/N Defense

Gained:  20% E/N Resist, 10% Toxic Resist, 15% Psi resist, 300+ MaxHP, more net End recovery

I have installed the unofficial Mids update from here:

Of note from that is the new EndMod set, which I used in Energy Absorption and Stamina.  The Chance to Heal Self proc will turn EA into a small 5% heal, too.  Not much, but hey, why not?

Spoiler

Hero Plan by Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer 2.6.0.7
https://github.com/ImaginaryDevelopment/imaginary-hero-designer

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 50 Magic Tanker
Primary Power Set: Ice Armor
Secondary Power Set: Ice Melee
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Fighting
Power Pool: Concealment
Ancillary Pool: Arctic Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Frozen Armor -- ShlWal-Def/EndRdx:50(A), ShlWal-Def/Rchg:50(25), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx/Rchg:50(27), ShlWal-Def:50(37)
Level 1: Frozen Fists -- SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg:50(A), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx:50(11), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx:50(13), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg:50(13), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/Rchg:50(15), SprBlsCol-Rchg/HoldProc:50(15)
Level 2: Hoarfrost -- Prv-Heal:50(A), Prv-Heal/EndRdx:50(7), Prv-Heal/Rchg:50(7), Prv-EndRdx/Rchg:50(9), Prv-Heal/Rchg/EndRdx:50(9), Prv-Absorb%:50(11)
Level 4: Frost -- SprFrzBls-Acc/Dmg:50(A), SprFrzBls-Dmg/EndRdx:50(17), SprFrzBls-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx:50(17), SprFrzBls-Acc/Dmg/Rchg:50(19), SprFrzBls-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg:50(19), SprFrzBls-Rchg/ImmobProc:50(21)
Level 6: Chilling Embrace -- EndRdx-I:50(A)
Level 8: Wet Ice -- EndRdx-I:50(A)
Level 10: Combat Jumping -- Ksm-ToHit+:30(A), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+:50(46)
Level 12: Icicles -- SprAvl-Acc/Dmg:50(A), SprAvl-Dmg/EndRdx:50(23), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx:50(23)
Level 14: Super Jump -- Empty(A)
Level 16: Hasten -- RechRdx-I:50(A), RechRdx-I:50(21)
Level 18: Glacial Armor -- ShlWal-Def/EndRdx:50(A), ShlWal-Def/Rchg:50(40), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx/Rchg:50(43), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP:50(45), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+:50(46)
Level 20: Ice Patch -- RechRdx-I:50(A)
Level 22: Taunt -- PrfZng-Taunt/Rng:50(A), PrfZng-Dam%:50(25)
Level 24: Kick -- FrcFdb-Dmg/EndRdx/KB:50(A), FrcFdb-Acc/KB:50(48), FrcFdb-Rechg%:50(48)
Level 26: Energy Absorption -- PwrTrns-EndMod:50(A), PwrTrns-+Heal:50(27)
Level 28: Freezing Touch -- SprMghoft-Acc/Dmg:50(A), SprMghoft-Dmg/Rchg:50(29), SprMghoft-Acc/Dmg/Rchg:50(29), SprMghoft-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg:50(31), SprMghoft-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg:50(31), SprMghoft-Rchg/Res%:50(31)
Level 30: Tough -- StdPrt-ResDam/Def+:30(A), GldArm-3defTpProc:50(34), Ags-ResDam/EndRdx:50(45), Ags-ResDam:50(45), Ags-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg:50(46), Ags-Psi/Status:50(50)
Level 32: Weave -- Rct-Def:50(A), Rct-Def/EndRdx:50(33), Rct-EndRdx/Rchg:50(33), Rct-Def/Rchg:50(33), Rct-Def/EndRdx/Rchg:50(34), Rct-ResDam%:50(34)
Level 35: Block of Ice -- SprEnt-Acc/Hold:50(A), SprEnt-Hold/Rchg:50(36), SprEnt-End/Rchg:50(36), SprEnt-Acc/Hold/End:50(36), SprEnt-Acc/Hold/End/Rchg:50(37), SprEnt-Rchg/AbsorbProc:50(37)
Level 38: Frozen Aura -- SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg:50(A), SprGntFis-Dmg/Rchg:50(39), SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg/Rchg:50(39), SprGntFis-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg:50(39), SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg:50(40), SprGntFis-Rchg/+Absorb:50(40)
Level 41: Ice Blast -- SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg:50(A), SprWntBit-Dmg/Rchg:50(42), SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx:50(42), SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg/Rchg:50(42), SprWntBit-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg:50(43), SprWntBit-Rchg/SlowProc:50(43)
Level 44: Stealth -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+:50(A)
Level 47: Grant Invisibility -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+:50(A)
Level 49: Invisibility -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+:50(A)
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Gauntlet
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Clr-RunSpd:50(A), Clr-EndRdx:50(50)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Clr-EndRdx:50(A), Clr-RunSpd:50(48)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Clr-EndRdx:50(A), Clr-RunSpd:50(50)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run
Level 2: Swift -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End:50(A), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+:50(3), Mrc-Rcvry+:40(3)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-EndMod:50(A), PrfShf-End%:50(5), PwrTrns-+Heal:50(5)
Level 0: Freedom Phalanx Reserve
Level 0: Portal Jockey
Level 0: Task Force Commander
Level 0: The Atlas Medallion
------------

edit:  That new EndMod set is coming in Page 5, which is a RC (release candidate) on Beta.  It should be live soon-ish.

Edited by Caulderone

• 2 weeks later
On 4/7/2020 at 1:43 PM, Lodestar_1977 said:

Thanks for this. I started an Ice/Ice Tank last night.

Np, I finished the build and have been having a blast. Everything sticks to me due to high taunt and I can do enough damage to not pull my hair out. The big winner here is just how stinking durable this guy is. Even exemping on tfs and the like, he is nigh untouchable. I hope you enjoy the ride. Do not get discouraged as you level. It’s rough unless you team a lot. Endurance will plague you and your damage is abysmal. But gawd is it worth the slog in the end

On 4/9/2020 at 5:42 AM, Sirken1138 said:

Np, I finished the build and have been having a blast. Everything sticks to me due to high taunt and I can do enough damage to not pull my hair out. The big winner here is just how stinking durable this guy is. Even exemping on tfs and the like, he is nigh untouchable. I hope you enjoy the ride. Do not get discouraged as you level. It’s rough unless you team a lot. Endurance will plague you and your damage is abysmal. But gawd is it worth the slog in the end

My main is actually a very low level MA/Wilpower scrapper. So, I am putting my Ice tank on ice... see what I did there?

But, thank you so much for this, and the feedback.