ICE/KIN Play style

CantgetRight

Hello,everyone! 

So, I have major problem making alts. I really need to find one an stick with it at lease to see what the end game content is like.  For some reason I keep coming back to my Ice/Kin Corruptor. I really like contributing to the team,but I feel like all I due is buff. I feel that I just use my rain then buff,buff buff, and then maybe heal. It gets kind of boring. So, what I ask is 1: Is this how Kins play?  2: How should I be playing and what is the priority?  I'm only in the mid 20's right now and I'm wondering this b/c i'll only be getting more buffs as I level and I feel like I'll never actually use my primary abilities.  Just looking for advice on how and when I should be using Siphon Speed/power, Increase Density/Speed Boost, an then Tranference. I feel that SB/ID don last long and I have to reapply constantly. An with Siphon S/P should I be worried about stacking power and using these for every fight? When a team is moving at a decent speed all I'm doing is trying to keep up as  a buff bot. Am I thinking of this the wrong way? Or maybe (what im thinking) am I playing this character wrong? What is expected of me exactly? I just feel that if I wanted to play this way I should make a KIN/ def so at lease i feel that I'll be using my primary as a primary. Sorry, for so many questions but I really want to learn how to play this AT correctly before I just give up. 

Edited by CantgetRight

The main problem with Ice is with it's lack of good AoE, I never really like rain powers in general and with Ice that's all you get.

As for Kin, yes all you do really is buff, but the set really only shines at level 38 when you get Fulcrum Shift, then you turbo charge the whole team to the stratosphere. Fulcrum Shift is the one and only reason you should be playing Kin. Other than FS, like you mentioned, all it is is reapplying buffs that have a really short duration and throwing a heal around when needed.

Personally I would play a set that can leverage the damage buffs you get from Kin better than Ice. Fire is the obvious choice with all the AoE you get from it. Water also does really well here.

Ice really shines when you are fighting single targets since you can hold pretty much any target by yourself. But at this point, if all you do really well is hold stuff, you might as well be playing a /kin Controller IMO, Ice Slick is so much more fun to watch than Blizzard

Edited by Seigmoraig
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Seigmoraig said:

The main problem with Ice is with it's lack of good AoE, I never really like rain powers in general and with Ice that's all you get.

As for Kin, yes all you do really is buff, but the set really only shines at level 38 when you get Fulcrum Shift, then you turbo charge the whole team to the stratosphere. Fulcrum Shift is the one and only reason you should be playing Kin. Other than FS, like you mentioned, all it is is reapplying buffs that have a really short duration and throwing a heal around when needed.

Personally I would play a set that can leverage the damage buffs you get from Kin better than Ice. Fire is the obvious choice with all the AoE you get from it. Water also does really well here.

Ice really shines when you are fighting single targets since you can hold pretty much any target by yourself. But at this point, if all you do really well is hold stuff, you might as well be playing a /kin Controller IMO, Ice Slick is so much more fun to watch than Blizzard

Thanks for the honest advice. I paired them just cause I wanted to try a Ice character, no other reason really. I respec today and he's now at level 29. He seemed fun and I didn't feel like I was lacking damage. I think finding a build to follow on the forums and respec'ing helped. I have a earth/dark controller (lvl 32). He's seems super strong and fun,but I was looking to play a Corrupter to do more damage/support then just controlling.  

Edited by CantgetRight
  • Like 1

At least you get the version of Kin where SB is a team buff. Not like us old school Kins who had to apply it on each team member. Fulcrum can also let you pass on Siphon Power a bit, but yeah, at the heart of Kin is not stop frenzied play style with lots of buffing. It is likely why I played so many of them in defender form on Live. I was a defender. I was suppose to buff. I had an old SG mate who's namesake was a Ice/kin controller. You will be waiting until epics to do any sort of real damage. Fulcrum could honestly feel a bit wasted on the build. If someone wanted an Ice corr with a controller feel, I would go Ice/dark corr. Tar Patch and drop those rains.

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

On 4/11/2020 at 6:05 PM, Seigmoraig said:

Ice is arguably the best set for AE on a Corruptor due to the interaction of Scourge and Rains. With a standard attack, the value of Scourge declines the bigger the attack gets because Scourge is calculated based on the health total prior to the attack. However, with a Rain, Scourge is re-calculating on every tick and Rains scourge all the way down.

Ice Blast's current issue is the lack of a sniper attack. Sets without a sniper attack have significantly less single target damage than those with sniper attacks since the fast snipe changes. This is especially true when you're talking about a very busy secondary like Kinetics.

In terms of Kinetics, the OP's perception of how much activity it requires is a well-known issue. This tends to mean you really want high impact attacks to fit in between all those activations. While Siphon Power is optional in a standard kill-the-large-crowd fight, it's essential for single target fights.

A year ago, Kinetics probably would have been considered one of the most powerful support sets. Today? I'd probably consider it a mid-ranked (if that) power set. The sheer amount of activations it requires tends to limit how much damage the other set can deal. It doesn't really offer much in the way of slotting opportunities. The increasing dependence on procs means that it only buffs a portion of the damage. The relative closeness of the +damage cap to what players without Fulcrum Shift are running means it doesn't stack well. The ally buffs are great in mid-levels but often superfluous at 50.

1 hour ago, Hjarki said:

Ice is arguably the best set for AE on a Corruptor due to the interaction of Scourge and Rains.

Possibly, but I`ll take a nuke any day VS a rain power where the mobs can run out of it and scatter. Not to mention that they will probably all be dead before the duration of the rain is up

Edited by Seigmoraig