Thinking of a Dark/Dark Blaster

Draugrok

I like the dark sets on most ATs so was considering a dark/dark blaster fo my second blaster, but it doesn't look to be a popular combination.

I was curious is more experienced Blasters would know if there is a reason it's a bottom of the pack pick?  I know it's no Fire/EM but is it really so much worse?

I have a Dark/Time (for concept, I like the visuals of the Dark primary but not the Dark secondary for this toon), so I can only discuss my primary choices:

Gloom @ lvl 1

The damage-over-time took some getting used to, but playing up the toon got me used to it. I 'waste' some damage, but mostly I fire at a target then switch to another assuming a hit that will eventually take it out. Also useful for enemies that would spawn a pet if they got a chance to 'relax'.

Umbral Torrent @ lvl 2

I didn't want this particular build to be Melee oriented, and with no other power choice this is what I got. I make the most of it as my build didn't allow for Tenebrous Tentacles (heresy?) and so this is one of my AoE attacks. With range buffs (10%) and KB->KD slotting it provides a nice mix of damage, control and notifies the next group down the hallway that I am coming for them next.

Aim @ lvl 47

As Dark/Time, I have Chronos as my build-up at level 10. I don't need TWO clicky powers for boosts at low levels (mashing other buttons) so I delayed this as a backup for x8 content at 45+. For comparison: I have Chronos 6-slotted with Gaussians and on auto-fire every 22 seconds.

Moonbeam @ lvl 8

With the updates to snipes, I am using this as the main single-target attack. 5-Slots with Sting of the Manticore plus Gladiator's Javelin Toxic proc. It is available to often to proc every time, but it does trigger for extra damage of a different type.

Life Drain @ lvl 26

I honestly don't use this attack as much as I should, but should I want a little extra healing I add it to the mix. I have it 6-slotted with Gladiator's Javelin. I could swap this out for Tenebrous Tentacles if I wanted the extra AoE and/or wanted different set bonuses.

Blackstar @ lvl 32

Standard Nuke. Don't skip.

I skipped:

T1 Dark Blast: My preference was for higher damage.

T6 T. Tentacles: I like AoE, but I felt like making a different choice in terms of the visuals of the attack chain.

T7 Abyssal Gaze I am a fan of holds, and it could be a 'proc monster' power, but I am hesitant to break up another group of IO bonuses to make a proc monster attack that would only fit into my build at lvl 38 or 44. I would recommend trying this (as a proc monster) if you can fit it into your attack chain at a lower level.

The odd (pool/epic) choice attack powers on this toon include:

lvl 12 Arcane Bolt: partly for concept, partly to allow Rune of Protection. 5-slotted, its roughly on par with Gloom.

lvl 44 Repulsion Bomb: I wanted a no-brainer Epic pool that wasn't too intrusive visually, and would let me mule Defense and Resist enhancements... I opted to go with this AoE (slotted with -Res) for Damage. I don't use it that often, just mixing it in against certain opponents. It's a little too slow for my taste, and I'm not sure if my Endurance bar could take Repulsion Field.

I don't really recommend going into pool powers for attacks, and so I am considering my options on Repulsion Bomb.