Dark/dark blaster build

Yoseph

Gonna suggest don't get the crappy cone melee thats like the 4th option in the secondary, terrible to line up and very long animation.  Then again, I haven't looked at it in like 1.5 months, just hate that attack like a Vhaz plague. 

Sands of Mu, ok as your not gonna be using it long...that dot melee in actual melee sets blow period.  Blasters are about hitting hard and quickly, not standing slapping things like 3 Stooges.  But yeah, gonna look at ice/dark blaster I have at 12 as I been meaning to play it.

Oh, and if you take boxing/maneuvers/toughness and still have a power pick left...Cross punch is awesome.  Wide cone, very fast animation and recharge but doesn't hit hard.

"Farming is just more fun in my opinion, beating up hordes of angry cosplayers...."  - Coyotedancer

I just got my Dark/Devices to 50 today. For the Dark Primary, you will want the Knockback to Knockdown IO pretty early on. I frankenslotted the ranged Heal power for damage, recharge and healing; you can sneak in a Theft of Essence Chance for Endurance there too. Tentacles rock of course, as does the Snipe. I'd suggest going Villain even temporarily for your Epic and getting the Dark powers, you get another good cone and another set of tentacles. Cones and single target are your main attacks and everything debuffs ToHit so EBs and the like are not bad at all. The nuke is just OK, I guess I'm not a fan of melee range nukes when everything else is ranged. 

Running Dark/TA and you'll have to decide on your planned style. If you want good ranged AoE damage, your first major purchase is likely to be the sudden acceleration kb to kd IO. Without it Umbral Torrent is virtually unusable on teams and then you don't do a whole lot of AoE. With it, you can be a tank's new friend-- first knocking down everything around them and debuffing enemy ToHit with both torrent and tentacles. 

But if you are going to be mostly at range, a whole lot of your secondary is a bit wasted. 

I slotted Life Drain as primarily an attack with just a little bit of healing. Most say Gloom is your best T1 attack but i'm not sure it's quite that clear-cut. They have similar damage per animation, dark blast does more dam/sec, and gloom's DoT can be annoying. IMO. 

Related thread: 

Edited by eknudson

Dark/Dark oddly enough meshes together poorly.  .../Dark keeps you in melee range with a damage aura and Soul Drain along with some heavy hitting melee attacks.  But then Dark/... AoE attacks (other than the nuke) are all narrow cones that work much better at longer ranges.  So you can stay at range and do more AoE and less single target or move into melee and kill things quickly but mostly 1 at a time.  Being at range is much easier to build for as you mainly need to focus on ranged defense but this means less damage.  Being in melee range is a bit more difficult as you need more types of defense to worry about. 

Both are great sets on their own and pair great with other sets but not so much each other.  Anything without cones works great with /Dark.  Dark/ does well with secondary sets geared mainly for range like Tactical Arrow and Devices. 

Now if you still want a Dark/Dark we would need to know what kind of play style you would be using and if you are looking at solo or group play mostly. 

I have a Dark/Dark myself … well that thread already quoted was mostly my advice. Here's my thought.

Blasters are masters of damage dealing. Superficially they tend to have "too many" attacks until you realize that what you're typically given are a bunch of optional attacks that you can use in certain circumstances. It's actually probably too many to fully kit them all out so you need to narrow down the ones that mesh with your playstyle and then pick some nice alternates for special occasions. For instance while I do primarily like to stay at range, during TFs I often find that there are so many foes or we are in close quarters (think of the indoor warehouse maps on the Penelope Yin TF) that I NEED a couple close range moves. My damage aura suddenly becomes a lot more useful and my punch attacks become finishers for the things that were dumb enough to come right for me. 

It's really just a case of trying everything out and seeing what works with your playstyle and then editing your build appropriately. That said I do think it's a weird situation where the build up type power (soul drain) is PBAOE which makes you want to get into melee range and then probably get back out. At least the set combo gives you multiple immobilizes and even a direct hold to help with that. Though again, on a TF, things tend to swarm the teams I'm on so it's no problem to fire Soul Drain and then fly up or something and snipe from range. 

See me on Excelsior as Eridanus - Whisperkill - Kid Physics - Ranger Wilde - The Hometown Scrapper - Firewatch - and more!