Does anyone play old school?

Intermipants

I definitely play old school on some characters, especially when it comes to mission choice and leveling.  Most characters do the Hollows and only a few get travel powers early.  As has been stated, you can get around fine in the Hollows without a travel power.   I rarely run DFBs and hardly ever use base teleporters.  I like using travel powers to get around.  The only time I'm in a hurry is when I'm in a Task Force, so I solo a good portion of the time.  I don't want to be in a hurry.

As for the current debate; I once had an argument with a flat earther.  No amount of evidence, visual or otherwise, would change his mind.  He seemed incapable of acknowledging logical fallacies.  Mentally shake your head, chuckle, and move on.  It's not worth the aggravation.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Retired Game Master

Please report posts when users make a personal attack, and don't respond to them.  Otherwise you risk your reply getting removed right along with it.

Now back to the original topic.

On 4/22/2020 at 4:04 PM, Intermipants said:

Hi everyone, just wondered if anyone ever plays old school?  I played from issue 4 all the way to the end and now COH is back I reminisce about the first time I ever played, the first time I got to whatever the level was where you got a travel power and how thrilling being able to fly was, getting a cape at 25 I think.  The introduction of the hollows and Croatoa and Striga. Having to take the fitness pool!  

I’m rolling up a toon now and I’m going to try to play it the way the game was all the way back then. I’m curious if anyone else has tried that. 

Hope you are all safe and well. 

I keep trying to convince my SG mates to have throw back days. We all take our second build and remake it with only up to SO level enhancements and absolutely no slotted incarnate powers. And then go run content set to higher difficulty. Go back to running TFs at the base level they were designed for. 

It isnt really that much of a investment its only a few million maybe to get a full set of SOs and you can do a second build if yo are not already using it so you dont have to unslot anything.

I mostly just do some of the old school stuff when I am soloing, so I'll take the train or the boat to whatever zone and leisurely fly to the mission door.  I tend not to do this on teams just because I miss half the mission taking my sweet old time.  :P  I do now grab a travel at lvl 7, but I like content, so I will do the Hollows, Striga, Faultline, Croatoa, etc. on some toons (while others will do the tfs to level rather than doing them later for the TFC).  I'm not crazy about the content available in the 30s and 40s, so I will often just do the tf then to get through them.  That said, some of the newer Bricks arcs are a lot of fun.

It's very very rare that I will farm any toon, though I have when I needed to get to a certain level for an sg thing or to do a tf (farm from 30 to 35 for ITF, etc.).  Otherwise, I just take my time and enjoy the journey.

As to IOs, sets, procs:  yes, I use them, but I did on live, too (though obviously not when I first started playing).  But I don't use them in every alt I roll (I have a lot of alts).  That said, there is one exception: recovery procs.  Inherent fitness made me happy, so I don't care to revisit the end-sucking days of resting after every single mob and having to turn off sprint to fight Frostfire, and I am happy to slot the recovery procs asap on end-heavy alts.  It may not be old-school, but it greatly improves my enjoyment of the content. 

Typically, I don't "set up" until I get an alt to 50 . . . mostly because 90-95% of my alts won't ever make it to 50, and I'd rather invest the time, energy, influence, etc. in alts that I know won't sit there for a year or two gathering dust.   Most of the time I just buy DOs or SOs not because I am trying to play old-school, but because I can't be bothered to craft or fiddle with the auction house to buy IO's.  I might grab them from the base if there are some there that I can use and I think about it.  Ultimately, if I'm enjoying a toon, she'll get IO/set/slotting attention at some point.

I definitely don't miss having to run origin contact arcs to unlock the ability to buy SOs; if we still had to do that I might do it once or twice for nostalgia's sake, but I'd just use IOs (like I did on live) instead on most alts. 

There are some old-school things I do still do on some alts, the costume and cape mishes and the Midnighters arc come to mind, but I am glad we don't HAVE to do them anymore.  They did get old if you rolled a lot of alts (and I did), so I prefer doing that stuff when I want to not because it's a milestone I have to do to get a cape or to get to Cim, etc.  As someone noted above, we do still have milestones, they are just different now (except things like Levantra's arc to get Vanguard merits). 

All that said, the forums have a LOT of players who miss the old-school stuff and often post about it in various threads.  I think there is an appetite for an "old school" sg if you wanted to set one up and run it.  They would come.  I would probably roll an alt for such an sg (depending on the requirements set by the sg leaders).  I certainly wouldn't mind a whole team running a tf and taking the tram rather than using base portals or ouro (before obtaining via a mish arc, anyway).  Though I might change my mind if the sg did shard tfs that take eight hours without everyone having team tp.  😛