Does anyone play old school?

Intermipants

Hi everyone, just wondered if anyone ever plays old school?  I played from issue 4 all the way to the end and now COH is back I reminisce about the first time I ever played, the first time I got to whatever the level was where you got a travel power and how thrilling being able to fly was, getting a cape at 25 I think.  The introduction of the hollows and Croatoa and Striga. Having to take the fitness pool!  

I’m rolling up a toon now and I’m going to try to play it the way the game was all the way back then. I’m curious if anyone else has tried that. 

Hope you are all safe and well. 

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

You can't play it old school.  Fitness pool comes with the character. 

There are dozens of people on Excelsior who play low level characters in low level content.  No IO sets.  Hollows missions, Striga, etc.  Some do not use the base transporter and use the train and ships to get everywhere.

• Like 3

There are some things that just won't come back, though.

Like dying in the Hollows and having to hotfoot it all the way back from Atlas.  (And singing the praises of the taxibots who got you to that mission on the other side of the gulch.)

But, close can be fun. 🙂

• Like 2

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

43 minutes ago, Intermipants said:

I’ve just started doing it now - having to run back to the contact to get the next mission definitely feels different!  Thanks for the tip about excelsior, I’ll roll up a toon there!

Or you can just transfer an existing character.  You get 5 character transfer tokens every 3 days for free.  I use them all the time.  Just be sure to reserve your name on both the source and destination servers (if possible) prior to transfer, and then use the unlimited rename tokens, as needed.

• Like 1

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer

7 hours ago, Richard Nelson said:

Not intentionally, more out of habit. Like, at level 14 take travel power, 20 costume mission, that sort of thing. I know those things don't matter, but I still do it.

It's funny I still take my travel power at 14 on every character. It just feels wrong to do it any other way. I also travel oldschool without using base tp but that's more to do with not wanting to get used to something that will be going away.

On that subject I was on a synapse the other day and it got to the bertha mission in boomtown. Most of us were in the north of steel canyon anyway but I noticed a couple of people disappear into the sg base, at least one of them must have been within sight of the entrance. I had to smile when it turned out the mission was much further away from the base entrance than the steel one.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

How sweet was level 20 back then?! Cape and Stamina. God that felt good. It was all about milestones back then really. 

lvl 12: DOs

lvl 14: Travel power

lvl 20: Cape/Stamina

lvl 22: SOs

lvl 30: Auras

Suppose it still is about milestones now. The milestones have just changed and the major ones have been moved back, with 50 itself now a milestone before incarnate rather than the destination. 

I personally look back in the old school CoH days with rose-tinted glasses and remember all the quirky, fun nuances it provided. But in reality, could I be bothered to go back to it - voluntarily? Absolutely no way! 

Edited by CaptTastic
  • Like 2

I'll still, on occasion, mention something like "Ooh, 20, I can take Stamina now!" or "22, time for SOs!"

Usually someone gets what I'm talking about. It saddens me when they don't...

• Like 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

Back to playing Old School...
I don't use set bonuses or use named IO sets at all.
I am aware I am gimping myself and being stupid.
"Purple Codpiece of the Righteous Salamander" means absolutely nothing to me, it does not tell me if it helps with attack or defense. I can't be bothered to learn a new language based on the developer's creative writing projects.

If I need accuracy, I want to slot something called Accuracy ... etc.
So, I only use the basic IOs.  ... OK.. and Procs. I am not a total idiot.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Vulpoid said:

Back to playing Old School...
I don't use set bonuses or use named IO sets at all.
I am aware I am gimping myself and being stupid.
"Purple Codpiece of the Righteous Salamander" means absolutely nothing to me, it does not tell me if it helps with attack or defense. I can't be bothered to learn a new language based on the developer's creative writing projects.

If I need accuracy, I want to slot something called Accuracy ... etc.
So, I only use the basic IOs.  ... OK.. and Procs. I am not a total idiot.

Other than 2 characters, this is exactly how all my girls are outfitted, common IOs and a few procs.  When compared to SOs it is cheaper in the long run.

I play old school, sometimes on purpose and sometimes accidentally.  I often forget you can pick up travel at 4 and just get it at 14 (or maybe 10 or 12 if I remember) from habit.  I like to run arcs, hollows, Laura Lockhart, Graham Easton, Keith Nance, Jenni Adair, Roy Cooling, sometimes Faultline but it makes me dizzy lol.  I sometimes jump in a farm with a friend to skip a few levels that have content I dont care for.  I usually save the icon missions for level 50 but will run them lower if I just need a smidge to the next level.  Hell, I have a couple toons that leveled 90% street sweeping lol!

Lately I have been doing a lot of baby heroes, DFB a few times then jump on the TF train.  I have enough toons of every level range that now if I see something advertised I can switch toons and join in the fun.

I know how to pick up the costume slot missions from the Icon tailors, but I have forgotten where to get cape and aura missions....any tips?

Edited by EmmySky

1 hour ago, EmmySky said:

I have enough toons of every level range that now if I see something advertised I can switch toons and join in the fun.

I just turn off xp on characters at certain levels.  I have a group of 17s and 27s and 34s so I can grab a tanker or controller or other type that a team needs of the appropriate level range.

3 hours ago, EmmySky said:

I know how to pick up the costume slot missions from the Icon tailors, but I have forgotten where to get cape and aura missions....any tips?

IIRC The City Representative in City ha;; assigns them (for Blue).

I think they also appear in as Ouroboros missions (in the lvl 50 range when you are 50?). They are good for collecting some spare Vanguard merits.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, tidge said:

IIRC The City Representative in City ha;; assigns them (for Blue).

I think they also appear in as Ouroboros missions (in the lvl 50 range when you are 50?). They are good for collecting some spare Vanguard merits.

Awesome thanks!

I played at launch so I've been there, done that and glad to remember those old day's fondly. I wouldn't want to do it again though. It would be interesting to see how popular a progression server would be if it could have been done.

Dazl - Excelsior Grav/Kinetic Controller (SG - Cosmic Council) | Dazl - Everlasting & Torchbearer Grav/Energy Dominator

Shadowspawn - Excelsior Dark/Dark Stalker | Pyro Kinetic -Everlasting Fire/Kinetic Corrupter | Nova Pyre - Everlasting Fire/Fire/Fire Blaster (OMG)

14 hours ago, Sakai said:

Where is the Aura mission?  With someone from Icon right?

Talk to the City Representative in Atlas City Hall after you hit level 30.  (I'm not sure if you still need to be level 30 for it these days, but that's what it always used to be)  It's the 'Learn to better control your powers.' mission.

• Thanks 1

I take a travel power at 14 a lot of times as there's simply too many key powers to take before that point. Unless I'm hellbent on teaming with people early on, I would rather wait on the travel power and then start teaming once I have the travel power. It has been interesting to see how often I one slot Stamina and Health these days even with 1 common IO. I don't slot anything until 22, and then it's common IOs. I've vastly ignored IO sets. Level shift and Incarnates tends to be enough for me. 

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

1 hour ago, Without_Pause said:

I don't slot anything until 22, and then it's common IOs. I've vastly ignored IO sets. Level shift and Incarnates tends to be enough for me. 

I recommend picking up the 5 P2W IOs and dropping them in (damage) slots before 22. Even if all you are doing is running DFB, having the extra effects proc in your attacks will make things that much more interesting.

I don't really do DFB. 1-22 doesn't last long enough for slotting, IMO.

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

55 minutes ago, Without_Pause said:

I don't really do DFB. 1-22 doesn't last long enough for slotting, IMO.

I do DFB exactly 4 times, just for the buffs at the end, and whatever SOs might drop along the way (I think it's a total of 20).

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer

48 minutes ago, RialVestro said:

I've even noticed some powers on Homecoming that have been reworked since live. Like Assassin's Strike use to ALWAYS be interruptible. Now it can only be interrupted while hidden, after that you can get it off instantly. I haven't tested it yet but I've been told the same change was made to Snipe powers. Anyway, I'm enjoying my Stalker on Homecoming so much more than on live due to these changes.

You should definitely try Blasters.  They are ungodly awesome amounts of fun with the I24+ changes.

Reunion player, ex-Defiant.

AE SFMA: Zombie Ninja Pirates! (#18051)

Regeneratio delenda est!