First off, thank you SO MUCH!!!

ranster44

Thank you for giving all of us a place to play CoH again. It has been far too long and I am basically having to relearn the game again. I have spent many hours in the last two weeks (Thanks COVID) playing and reading the guides. I have brought a couple of friends into the game that are genuine newbies. I have read dozens of VERY helpful character guides, and various other guides to help one manage this game and have fun. The community is great. Thank you all for the time it takes to compile and contribute all of that data. It really is extremely helpful. It's also a bit overwhelming. Some of you people have reached a level of expertise I could only dream of!  🙂
 I also wanted to say to people like myself that come in and might be a bit intimidated, just have fun. It doesn't matter if you play +4/+8, or if you don't even know what that means. You play your comfort level. The whole point of playing is to have fun. There is NO GRIEFING ever on these servers. People are nice. They either help you or leave you be. The game can be as intense or as easy as you want. I am remembering why this was my all time favorite video game. Great concept, great ATs, infinite choices, great community, great story lines ect... I love how this game has literally something for everyone and doesn't force you into much of anything. It can be as complicated as you want, or you can just run radio missions forever. You can group or play solo. You can powergame or just cruise. It's just an awesome game. And thank y'all (yes, I'm from Texas and I say "y'all' in real life) for making this available to me again!  ❤️

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Welcome home, to you, and welcome to Paragon City to the new players you brought in!

You are right in your assessment of the game, it's infinite combinations/choices, and it's unique ability to be as attractive to the casual player, as it is to the hardcore power player.  It's totally your choice on how to play, and there is no such thing as a bad way to play.  You can be effective using basic configurations, and have fun, or you can go all out and do the min/max thing and fight at the highest levels.  You can solo, you can team, you can street sweep, do missions, concentrate on Task Forces, or just run around zones and take it all in.  It's totally up to you!  

Many of us (like me) have been around since the beginning, and we still love this game.  I'm glad to see so many coming in who feel the same way.

• Like 1

What was no more, is REBORN!

26 minutes ago, ranster44 said:

I want to be a better player than I am. I want to be able to afford all the high end enhancements. But just starting out and being totally into alts, that's going to take a while

buying the set enhancements happens faster than you might think.  Or at least, it can. 

most  crafted set IOs can go from a 1-4 million on the auction house.  each piece.  And some very sought-after pieces can be 6-10 mil. 

That's a gut punch when you first start playing and you say to yourself holy mother of god, how do people afford this???

But you'll have it before you realize it.  Just keep plugging away.

• Keep an eye on your recipe inventory.  Some of them are quite valueable, and well sell well on the auction house (Wentworth's / Black Market).  Never vendor them, always auction them, or craft them and then auction them.
  • Keep an eye on your salvage inventory.  Every piece of orange salvage will probably auction for 450,000 - 500,000 or more. 
  • Do taskforces (Posi, Synapse, etc) when you see them advertised.  You'll get a big pile of merits at the end.
  • Do story arcs (missions that have a blue mission title from your contact, with a book icon in your mission selection bar).  Those give merits at the end of the story arc.
  • Merits can be used at the Merit Vendor (which can be an ATM machine or a human NPC) to buy Enhancement Converters.  These sell for 80,000 to 100,000 per on the auction house. They might not sell right away depending how much you ask for them, but they will sell. 
  • And if you're only buying a few enhancements at a time, every couple of levels, you don't need to get THAT many drops to fund it all.

If you buy set pieces while levelling, I would strongly encourage you buy them from the "Enhancements - Attuned" section of the auction house.

You do not have to. If you prefer to cruise to 50 on regular enhancements and not buy anything on the auction house until 50, that's very doable.  

But I'd still keep track of all the above bullet points to help you earn and stockpile influence as you level up, until you reach the point where you're comfortable buying them. 

Edited by MTeague
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, MTeague said:

buying the set enhancements happens faster than you might think.  Or at least, it can. 

most  crafted set IOs can go from a 1-4 million on the auction house.  each piece.  And some very sought-after pieces can be 6-10 mil. 

That's a gut punch when you first start playing and you say to yourself holy mother of god, how do people afford this???

But you'll have it before you realize it.  Just keep plugging away.

• Keep an eye on your recipe inventory.  Some of them are quite valueable, and well sell well on the auction house (Wentworth's / Black Market).  Never vendor them, always auction them, or craft them and then auction them.
  • Keep an eye on your salvage inventory.  Every piece of orange salvage will probably auction for 450,000 - 500,000 or more. 
  • Do taskforces (Posi, Synapse, etc) when you see them advertised.  You'll get a big pile of merits at the end.
  • Do story arcs (missions that have a blue mission title from your contact, with a book icon in your mission selection bar).  Those give merits at the end of the story arc.
  • Merits can be used at the Merit Vendor (which can be an ATM machine or a human NPC) to buy Enhancement Converters.  These sell for 80,000 to 100,000 per on the auction house. They might not sell right away depending how much you ask for them, but they will sell. 
  • And if you're only buying a few enhancements at a time, every couple of levels, you don't need to get THAT many drops to fund it all.

If you buy set pieces while levelling, I would strongly encourage you buy them from the "Enhancements - Attuned" section of the auction house.

You do not have to. If you prefer to cruise to 50 on regular enhancements and not buy anything on the auction house until 50, that's very doable.  

But I'd still keep track of all the above bullet points to help you earn and stockpile influence as you level up, until you reach the point where you're comfortable buying them. 

Thank you so much for the advice!