Questions on Exemplaring a Stalker

Brayv

Well, these are more generic questions, but the character I am wanting to do this on is a Stalker.  StJ/Eng to be exact.

1.  What are the main goals as you exemp further down?  Pure damage? Defense/Resists?  Which leads to:

2.  What IO sets should I use for my lower level attacks?  Just use purples to get the set bonuses? or use sets to boost other stats instead (i see Mako's used a lot)?

3.  Are there any base guidelines that are necessary to have by certain levels.  I need X and Y by 15, and then Z by 20...etc.

4.  Should I just focus on certain content?  Such as only do Arcs A and B because you need XY and Z to do Arc C so it isn't worth it?

I know these are some catch-all statements, but if anyone is willing to line them up with a StJ stalker, please do so.

This character is 50, but I did not try to build him for exemplaring.  I plan on sitting down this weekend and fully build/IO him out with level groups in mind.  I'm probably overthinking it, which is usually the case.

Stalkers might not even be the best AT for this...that's ok too.  Happy to hear any thoughts on what might be best for this.  I'd like for every AT to be good at this, but I'm sure some are better than others.  I'd love to hear about it.

Any additional information that I should be aware of is also appreciated.  I haven't done much exemplaring, so this will be my first real attempt at doing this.

As always, thanks in advance!

I can share what I did with my Stalker. This isn't very different than any of my other toons, all of whom exemplar down (occasionally to the Hollows, but definitely to Positron 1.. and similar Red side content).

1) Main goals (for the Stalker) are:

• A Travel power by lvl 14. You can get by with the P2W, and while many toons have a travel well before this point, this is as late as I will put off an actual travel choice.
  • 3 Primary attacks before lvl 14.
  • Build Up ASAP. I happen to 6-slot Gaussians' here, but that set only kicks in at lvl (17?) 18. If you only 2-slot it, use 1 slot on a Recharge IO for help at low levels.
  • Take Mez/Knock resists ASAP. I suppose you could delay this pick a little (i.e. by 1 pick) but quality of life improves with it.

You can 'make do' with Prestige and P2W attacks in lower content, but I am frustrated when I don't have a core attack chain by level 20.

2) Slotting:

I lean heavily into ATO and Purple (Very Rare) sets for my attacks. My Stalker's first attack pick was 'good enough' to merit slotting... it is where I have the Assassin's Mark set. The Assassin's Strike attack should be at lvl 6... this is where I have the Stalker's Guile set. In general, I try to have all my attacks below level 32 slotted with a set that will exemplar down. I only occasionally use Winter sets and PVP sets typically get replaced once Very Rare sets can be slotted (at level 50).

On damage-dealing toons (like Stalkers) I prefer to get set bonuses over chasing procs, but I do have Very Rare procs in lower level attacks. I try to avoid putting a high-level proc (e.g. from a level 30 set) in a low level damage power. Often I can find a better use of the slot somewhere else.

For defense/resistance: My stalker has the Global pieces which exemplar down 'all the way', and low level content doesn't demand much more than that (+6% Defense, +5% Resistance). Being controlled is far worse for an exemplared toon, so KB reduction or Slow Resistance (Universal Travel IOs) in a travel power is a must.

3) See #1. Take your Assassin's Strike and Build Up ASAP.

4) Mileage varies, but aside from having a travel power by level 14 (to make TF/SF less painful) the content in the game is very forgiving. This is more of an issue with Blue side missions than Red side (not counting Mercy Island).

A piece of exemplared content that can catch people off guard is that Circle of Thorns (who appear at almost all levels) have debuffs which can seriously mess with players' chance to hit them. It is possible to get +%Accuracy set bonuses from (one of) the ATO and (most) Purple IO sets... these will stay with you as you exemplar, so mileage varies if you need this piece just for final chance to hit. My Stalker has a Snipe as well, and the ToHit bonus helps with that.

On my Stalker, I put the Kismet +6% Accuracy (really ToHit) global in Hide. I'd prefer to put this particular piece in an Auto power, but Hide is a forced pick at level 1 and it will almost always be toggled on anyway. If you use this piece and don't have an Auto power for it, be aware that the bonus is only active when the toggle power is active (at least last time I checked on my Blaster).

• Like 1

Villain Plan by Mids' Villain Designer 2.22
http://www.cohplanner.com/

Click this DataLink to open the build!

: Level 50 Magic Stalker
Primary Power Set: Street Justice
Secondary Power Set: Energy Aura
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Fighting
Power Pool: Leadership
Power Pool: Speed
Ancillary Pool: Body Mastery

Villain Profile:
Level 1: Heavy Blow -- SprBlsCol-Rchg/HoldProc(A), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(17), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(19), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(19), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg(21), TchofDth-Dam%(43)
Level 1: Hide -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A), Ksm-ToHit+(3), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(3)
Level 2: Sweeping Cross -- Arm-Dam%(A), Arm-Dmg/EndRdx(21), Arm-Dmg(23), Arm-Dmg/Rchg(23), Arm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(25), FuroftheG-ResDeb%(25)
Level 4: Kinetic Shield -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A), RedFrt-Def/EndRdx(5), RedFrt-EndRdx(5), RedFrt-Def(11), RedFrt-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(13), RedFrt-EndRdx/Rchg(13)
Level 6: Assassin's Strike -- SprStlGl-Rchg/Hide%(A), SprStlGl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(7), SprStlGl-Acc/Dmg(7), SprStlGl-Dmg/Rchg(9), SprStlGl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(9), SprStlGl-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(11)
Level 8: Build Up -- GssSynFr--Build%(A), GssSynFr--ToHit/Rchg(50)
Level 10: Entropy Shield -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 12: Super Jump -- WntGif-ResSlow(A)
Level 14: Power Shield -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A), RedFrt-EndRdx(15), RedFrt-Def(15), RedFrt-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(17), RedFrt-Def/EndRdx(27), RedFrt-Def/Rchg(27)
Level 16: Kinetic Dampening -- GldArm-3defTpProc(A), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(37), UnbGrd-Max HP%(37), UnbGrd-ResDam(37), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(39), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(39)
Level 18: Spinning Strike -- Rgn-Knock%(A), Rgn-Dmg(29), Rgn-Dmg/Rchg(29), Rgn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(31), Rgn-Acc/Rchg(31), Ann-ResDeb%(45)
Level 20: Boxing -- Dsrnt-I(A)
Level 22: Tough -- UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(A), UnbGrd-ResDam(45), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(45), UnbGrd-EndRdx/Rchg(46)
Level 24: Weave -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(46)
Level 26: Shin Breaker -- Hct-Dam%(A), Hct-Dmg/EndRdx(42), Hct-Dmg(42), Hct-Dmg/Rchg(42), Hct-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(43), Mk'Bit-Dam%(43)
Level 28: Energy Drain -- PrfShf-End%(A), LucoftheG-Rchg+(36), PrfShf-EndMod(36)
Level 30: Assault -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 32: Crushing Uppercut -- SprAssMar-Rchg/Rchg Build Up(A), SprAssMar-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(33), SprAssMar-Acc/Dmg(33), SprAssMar-Dmg/Rchg(33), SprAssMar-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(34), SprAssMar-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(34)
Level 35: Energize -- Pnc-Heal(A), Pnc-Heal/EndRedux(39), Pnc-EndRdx/Rchg(40), Pnc-Heal/Rchg(40), Pnc-Heal/EndRedux/Rchg(40)
Level 38: Tactics -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 41: Disrupt -- AbsAmz-ToHitDeb%(A), AbsAmz-EndRdx/Stun(46), AbsAmz-Stun(48), AbsAmz-Acc/Stun/Rchg(48), AbsAmz-Acc/Rchg(48), RzzDzz-Immob%(50)
Level 44: Superior Conditioning -- PrfShf-End%(A)
Level 47: Physical Perfection -- RgnTss-Regen+(A)
Level 49: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(50)
Level 1: Assassination
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Clr-Stlth(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run
Level 2: Swift -- Run-I(A)
Level 2: Health -- NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(A), Pnc-Heal/+End(31), Mrc-Rcvry+(34)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Jump-I(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A), PrfShf-EndMod(36)
Level 1: Combo Level 1
Level 1: Combo Level 2
Level 1: Combo Level 3
------------

Thanks for the advice.  This is what I am leaning towards at the moment.  I am leaning towards moving Hasten to a lower level though.  I feel like I will want that earlier.  I'm also not sure on Disrupt.  I like it, but I don't want it to take away something I will 'need.'

I can grok what you are doing with Crushing Uppercut, but I want to point out a couple of things:

• Crushing Uppercut may not be the best place to put the Build Up proc. I have it in a much lower level power, with the intent of triggering it to help the higher damage powers.
  • Crushing Uppercut should be able to take the Very Rare (Hold) Unbreakable Constraint %Smashing. Very Rare damage procs do 50% more damage that any other type of proc. 5xHecatomb + the Unbreakable Constraint proc is what I have currently slotted in my StJ Scrapper.

If you will be running Weave all the time:

• You may not need the (partial) End reduction
  • moving the Shield Wall Global to Weave would allow you to replace the LotG Def/End with a Shield Wall piece that you can boost for the same set bonus.

4 hours ago, Crater Kate said:

Assassin's Mark is a global proc, so its placement doesn't matter in terms of when Build Ups trigger.

In my game play it does seem to matter especially when exemping. The proc doesn't seem to kick in until the power it is slotted in is used at least once per mission instance even though it is a global. I have seen other comments about this as well. I don't know if it is by design or a bug. To ensure it isn't an issue I always slot the buildup proc in a power that is taken before Buildup. I usually put it in a T1 or T2 power. I learned it the hard way when I slotted it in a level 35 power and I got no procs when that power wasn't available while exemping.

• Like 2