Anyone have a AR/Dev build or guide.

dwb03230

I'll probably put together a build for myself sometime in the not to distance future. In the meantime I can offer a few tips.

For Assault Rifle you want to take Burst, Slug, Buckshot, Sniper Rifle, Flamethrower and Full Auto. M30 Grenade is also well worth taking if you're got room. Personally I don't care for Ignite or Beanbag but some people like them.

For Devices you want to take Web Grenade, Caltrops, Targeting Drone, Field Operative, Smoke Grenade and Gun Drone. Taser is only worth it if you really want a second stun to stack with Bean Bag. Trip Mine and Time Bomb are both gimmick powers, you can take them if you want (I think my old AR/Dev had Trip Mine as a slot mule) but Assault Rifle already has a lot of AoE so they aren't really critical.

Regarding your epic pool selection, I'm not a huge fan of Munitions. The problem is that since Body Armor is a passive rather than a toggle it's half the strength of the equivalent powers in other epic pools. On the other hand the rest of the set is ok. Cryo Freeze Ray is a slightly better mez than Beanbag or Taser. Sleep Grenade isn't great considering how AoE heavy AR is but it's decent for what it does. Surveillance is useful for tough bosses. LRM is another fun power, it's a bit better than Trip Mine or Time Bomb but the damage isn't that great compared to Full Auto.

Overall AR/Dev is a decent combo. Assault Rifle is an AoE beast, opening with Flamethrower and Full Auto will kill most minions in a spawn letting you burn down the Lts and bosses separately (or follow up with Buckshot and M30 to get the rest). Targeting Drone means that you will always have fast snipe up so Sniper Rifle gives Assault Rifle a viable single target attack chain with Burst and Slug (something it was missing before).

Caltrops is a great crowd control tool. You won't need it much on teams but tossing them down solo will help keep enemies at range. Smoke Grenade is a minor debuff but every little bit helps plus it's useful for stealthing missions and Gun Drone is a little extra DPS.

Defender Smash!

This is my basic build. Years ago I took SS as my travel power since it was the one i thought was least 'super' and could be most 'real.' In the time after I also added SJ just because the lack of vertical movement was kind of a draw back.

Are there any good slotting guides for /Dev specifically? I'm stuck on anything that isn't an attack. Right now I'm not too sure what to stick where. So far I have

web nade: immobilize

Drone end reduction: to hit buff

caltrops: slow

smoke: to hit debuff, empty? (accuracy? another debuff?)

field operative: 2 end mod (defense seems useless here?)

trip mine: accuracy

It's not that big a deal once you get to level 20 and get field operative. Other than that put 2 end mod enhancements in both Stamina and Field Operative, put both Miracle and Numina procs in Health and slot a endurance reduction enhancement in each attack and Targeting Drone.

That's what I'm doing and I've got plenty of endurance even with running two leadership toggles plus targeting drone.

Defender Smash!

Unless it changed, most attacks are 3 dam, 1 acc, 1 recharge reduction, and 1 end reduction; ignite may be an exception to this, but I've never played with it much. Running two end mods in field operative and stamina and I rarely have issues.

So, this is my rough set up at 33. I'm not too sure on some of the slotting, and what levels they came in at, but I think it's close to what I took as I ran. I'm confident on the basic/SO/IO slotting of the attacks (3 dam, 1 acc, 1end red, 1 recharge), but not too sure when you get into sets. I do have a few random Set IOs scattered around, like some of the run ones, but not sure where those are sitting besides my slotting for Smoke Grenade and Targeting Drone. I'm thinking about respecing before I go too much further to pull my IOs out and replace them with some sets, just not sure it's worth it at 33.

I'm trying to work my way to Sting of the Manticore for Sniper Rifle, but it looks like it still does 15% less damage than 3 slotting Damage IOs until I get to 50(which increases the damage gap). Currently, with three 30 Damage IOs, it's like, 2% hp left on most minions of my level. I'm trying to squeeze that extra damage out with the chance for toxic damage and the 3% damage boost Manticore's set gives, but I think I'm coming up short. Even with the slotting of Smoke Grenade and Targeting Drone I've started below. I haven't stuck those in, am still picking up the last two I need before I try it.

I JUST put sets into Smoke Grenade and Targeting Drone, but I'm not sure how they run yet. Will try sometime this week, or Sunday. I'm not sure of the three slotting of Targeting drone. I noticed one level 35 IO plus the basic to hit buff from Adjusted Targeting was enough to hit insta-snipe with 1 level 30 accuracy IO in Sniper Rifle. I've not committed to the other two in the set yet, but I think the math checks out as more acc/end reduction with the set. Also, the third set bonus of 1.26% seems worthless? But I need three to make the math work out to make it better than one IO for end reduction and to hit buff... I'm conflicted.

Smoke Grenade:

Dampened Spirits: To Hit Debuff

Dampened Spirits:To Hit Debuff//Endurance

Dampened Spirits: To Hit Debuff/Recharge/Endurance

Set Bonus 2% dam and 1.8% max endurance

Targeting Drone (potentially):

Adjusted Targeting: To Hit Buff/

Adjusted Targeting: To Hit Buff/Endurance

Adjusted Targeting: To Hit Buff/Recharge/Endurance

Set Bonus 2% dam and 1.26% energy/negative energy resistance

The rest of the powers are all basic IOs (minus the few random ones I can't remember). I honestly am having the hardest time determining what sets to put in what powers beyond the two above =/

I noticed that my Full Auto also has a few more slots. I don't know If I missed slots somewhere, but the powers here vs in game are down a few slots. I'm thinking one or two of the levels Pre 32 gave three slots instead of two, but I'll be damned if I can find where i'm missing it.

You can use this for reference if you want, though. Anyone else is free to rip this apart and provide any other feedback as well.

Adeon Hawkwood did give some feedback regarding the possibility of 6 slotting Field Operative in the Sustain thread that seems super interesting, but I haven't been able to look into yet. Its full of stuff I haven't learned yet, lol

I also cannot remember if Hasten should be two or three slotted to get as close to perma hasten as you can. I think it's two, but based on ED schedules, it might actually be three.

Hero Plan by Mids' Hero Designer 1.962

http://www.cohplanner.com/

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 34 Natural Blaster

Primary Power Set: Assault Rifle

Secondary Power Set: Devices

Power Pool: Speed

Power Pool: Leaping

Power Pool: Leadership

Hero Profile:

Level 1: Burst

• (A) Accuracy
  • (3) Damage Increase
  • (7) Damage Increase
  • (9) Damage Increase
  • (11) Endurance Reduction
  • (15) Recharge Reduction

Level 1: Web Grenade

• (A) Immobilisation Duration

Level 2: Slug

• (A) Accuracy
  • (3) Damage Increase
  • (7) Damage Increase
  • (9) Damage Increase
  • (11) Endurance Reduction
  • (15) Recharge Reduction

Level 4: Hasten

• (A) Recharge Reduction
  • (5) Recharge Reduction

Level 6: Super Speed

• (A) Run Speed

Level 8: Buckshot

• (A) Accuracy
  • (19) Damage Increase
  • (21) Damage Increase
  • (23) Damage Increase
  • (25) Endurance Reduction
  • (27) Recharge Reduction

Level 10: Targeting Drone

• (A) Endurance Reduction
  • (13) To Hit Buff
  • (33) To Hit Buff

Level 12: Sniper Rifle

• (A) Accuracy
  • (13) Damage Increase
  • (17) Damage Increase
  • (19) Damage Increase
  • (23) Endurance Reduction
  • (25) Recharge Reduction

Level 14: Caltrops

• (A) Slow

Level 16: Smoke Grenade

• (A) To Hit Debuff
  • (17) To Hit Debuff
  • (33) Endurance Reduction

Level 18: Super Jump

• (A) Jumping

Level 20: Flamethrower

• (A) Accuracy
  • (21) Damage Increase
  • (29) Damage Increase
  • (31) Damage Increase
  • (31) Endurance Reduction
  • (33) Recharge Reduction

Level 22: Field Operative

• (A) Endurance Modification
  • (29) Endurance Modification

Level 24: M30 Grenade

• (A) Accuracy
  • (27) Damage Increase
  • (31) Damage Increase

Level 26: Assault

• (A) Endurance Reduction

Level 28: Trip Mine

• (A) Accuracy

Level 30: Beanbag

• (A) Accuracy

Level 32: Full Auto

• (A) Accuracy

Level 1: Brawl

• (A) Empty

Level 1: Defiance

Level 1: Sprint

• (A) Empty

Level 2: Rest

• (A) Empty

Level 2: Health

• (A) Healing

Level 2: Hurdle

• (A) Empty

Level 2: Stamina

• (A) Endurance Modification
  • (5) Endurance Modification

------------

So a few good cheap sets:

6-slot Thunderstrike is great for Burst and Slug since it gives you 3.75% Ranged Defense and a few other nice bonuses.

For Sniper Rifle you can 5-slot Sting of the Manticore (skip the Acc/Int/Range IO) for more ranged defense and a nice recharge bonus.

For your AoEs Positron's Blast is the best option. It's not great but it's better than the alternatives. You can skip either the Acc/Dam or the Dam/Range depending on preference (the Dam/Range is the normal one to skip but in cones the extra range is quite nice and /Devices can afford to underslot for accuracy).

Blaster's Wrath and Defiant Barrage are a little pricier but both sets are well worth it. For Blaster's Wrath I'd put it in Full Auto since it's got great stats and a damage proc (which due to PPM rules will always proc in Full Auto). Defiant Barrage is iffier, I've currently got it in Slug but I'm finding the status protection proc is less useful than I was hoping so I'm going to move it to one of the AoEs since I'd rather drop a Positron's Blast for another Thunderstike set. As a side note, the Status Protection proc in Defiant Barrage will only trigger once per attack in an AoE even if you hit multiple targets, I tested it in Full Auto last night because I was debating putting it there.

Defender Smash!