Thoughts on Martial Assault

Arnabas

So, I finally got around to making a couple of Dominators.

I hadn't really played them prior to now because I kept hearing about how they supposedly need perma-Domination to be viable. Thankfully, I have found that to be untrue. I am actually enjoying the ones I have made so far, but my most recent is Electric Control/ Martial Assault. In many ways, he is pretty fun, but the attacks in Martial Assault seem really underwhelming. I always wanted a thrown weapon power, so I really like the shuriken attacks, but I don't see why they are designed the way they are.

By comparison, I have a Dom with Dark Assault. His attacks include 3 Moderate, 3 High, and 2 Superior. He feels very strong. Another character with Psionic Assault has 3 Moderate, 4 High, and 1 Extreme. Even Icy Assault has mostly Moderate, with 1 High and 1 Superior. Martial Assault starts with a Minor attack and is followed by 4 Moderate, another Minor, and ends with Superior and Extreme. (And yes, I know there are other factors than just the damage, such as slows, etc, but I am just giving this as an example).

By the time I hit those later powers, I am sure the damage output should be fairly decent, but it seems that compared to other powers, Martial Assault is a little on the weak side. I though Envenomed Blades might compensate, but it doesn't seem to have much of an effect. There are other powers (Radioactive Assault, Savage Assault) that start of pretty light as well, but they seem to have more hard-hitting powers that follow soon after.

I am only level 26 or so, so I recognize that I may see things change soon, but thus far, I am not seeing much to balance the power vs others. Can anyone else who has played it chime in?

I was thinking that for the level 1 power, since it fires 3 shuriken it might be neat (if possible) to have 3 to-hit rolls, one for each shuriken, so that the damage can still be Minor for each, but if they all hit, maybe it would bump to Moderate. 

Edited by Arnabas

1: this probably should have been posted in the Dominator forum.

2: Martial Assault is fine, it has a couple of advantages over most other Assault sets:

2.1) Multiple AoEs usable in PBAoE range. With a melee PBAoE, a melee cone, and a chain AoE, you don't have to dance in and out to mix a cone with a PBAoE attack. Lack of movement needed to attack = more attacks fired = more damage. Even if the damage per attack doesn't seem great, firing off attacks faster increases the DPS. That's even without considering Caltrops.

2.2) Fast animations, especially on AoEs... other sets are stuck with AoEs with 3+ seconds casting time. Compare the casting time for the Martial Assault set AoEs and you'll see how good it is there.

Overall, it's really good in AoE, with a good lineup of attacks and fast animations. As you say, it's low in single-target DPS, but... it's balanced. Good AoE, good knockdown chances, lower single-target damage, seems fair. And you do get a pair of good single-target attacks at the end, so even that gets fixed later.

The main problem I have with Martial Assault is just how unreliable Spinning Kick is.  The "window" for the facing cone is really, really, really small, so in addition to be no good while on the move, it's very easy to "miss" with it entirely even against single targets.  It was a little better when the numbers at least weren't balanced under the assumption that it was always hitting a whole bunch of enemies, but as it is now, it's kind of a trap, sadly.  With that nerf, plus the way snipes were buffed, it's best used purely ranged, more or less, with control sets that are suited to that, like Mind or Gravity, IMO.  Which is fine I guess, but it makes it not feel very "martial".

Edited by Lazarillo

My problem with the set is the huge delay between animation ending and the hit, due to the shurikens flying and the explosions being delayed.

its also not too strong given Its damage typing... compared to like dark which is so rarely resisted it hits hard.. 

14 hours ago, kiramon said:

My problem with the set is the huge delay between animation ending and the hit, due to the shurikens flying and the explosions being delayed.

its also not too strong given Its damage typing... compared to like dark which is so rarely resisted it hits hard.. 

I don't mind the delay... I kind of like watching the shurikens fly and arc toward the target.

My first Dom was Dark/ Dark which feel much more powerful in some ways.

16 hours ago, Lazarillo said:

The main problem I have with Martial Assault is just how unreliable Spinning Kick is.  The "window" for the facing cone is really, really, really small.

I had it and respecced it out partly for the aiming issues. I figure that if I add it again. I will just target, hit Follow to line me up automatically, then attack single targets. If it hits more than one, well, bonus.

16 hours ago, Coyote said:

1: this probably should have been posted in the Dominator forum.

2: Martial Assault is fine, it has a couple of advantages over most other Assault sets:

2.1) Multiple AoEs usable in PBAoE range. With a melee PBAoE, a melee cone, and a chain AoE, you don't have to dance in and out to mix a cone with a PBAoE attack. Lack of movement needed to attack = more attacks fired = more damage. Even if the damage per attack doesn't seem great, firing off attacks faster increases the DPS. That's even without considering Caltrops.

2.2) Fast animations, especially on AoEs... other sets are stuck with AoEs with 3+ seconds casting time. Compare the casting time for the Martial Assault set AoEs and you'll see how good it is there.

Overall, it's really good in AoE, with a good lineup of attacks and fast animations. As you say, it's low in single-target DPS, but... it's balanced. Good AoE, good knockdown chances, lower single-target damage, seems fair. And you do get a pair of good single-target attacks at the end, so even that gets fixed later.

1. Good point. I tend to always post in general, but should look at other options.

2. Yes, it has some nice soft control with knockdowns, and your other points are valid. I was thinking that with some recharge, the damage will also improve as I fire attacks off quicker.