I can't decide on a Dominator to play

ZorkNemesis

As far as general Dominator advice - the AT really opened up to me when I started doing 2 things differently:

1:  Avoid AoE immobilize.  It's a major end suck, can get you more aggro than you can handle, and is not actually that helpful.  If your other powers do Sleep, Slow, or Knockup/back, then the immobilize will counteract the benefits of those powers.  Heavy Slows are an underrated form of control.  I find especially that Slows are more effective than immobilize, since they tend to try and move around while slowed, whereas an Immobilized enemy will just shoot you.  Damage ticks will wake him from sleep without actually doing much damage.  And I believe that Gravity has the only immobilize that doesn't protect the enemy from getting knocked around.  If you find that later, you miss it and it doesn't throw a wrench in your other gears, it's not like taking the power will ruin your build.  For instance it keeps people within the damage radius of Burn and Sleet and other location-based area effects.  But I think it's often seen as a default pick, when it may make you happier to cut it out.

2:  Switch targets.  A lot.  Hold someone. Throw someone else. Damage anyone who is controlled or knocked on their ass.  If you attain perma-Domination, your controls will last a long time and you can slap holds on every boss and lieutenant in the group.  Let your area controls get the minions.  I play mostly with Gravity and Mind Dominators, so I usually hit someone with a Propel right after I hold them (IMPACT), but I use Lift/Levitate on everything in sight.  I added a +Knockback enhancement so they stay airborne longer, though I believe (and someone please correct me if this is false) their 'hit box' will remain on the ground.  Which is to say, if your teammate throws a Fireball while the guy is 20 ft up, and apparently out of the radius, I think he will still get hit with the fireball because his placement outside of the animation will be close enough.  Again, not totally sure, but having higher knockup has so far not appeared to accidentally protect them from my team's attacks.  Plus it's hilarious.  

• Like 4