New Player

MARCOSWAR

Good morning/afternoon/evening guys!

I am newcomer to both CoH and Homecoming, but eager to learn the drill and jump into some RP.

The concept that I am willing to work with is more on the Dark Theme - a mix between Maverick (94`s movie of the Poker Player with the same name) and Constantine). My character is basically former Old Wild West player who one day resulted to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, when the Devil came by in Deadwood to have some fun and play some Fargo (old game related to Poker). Cutting the huge lines, the player bets an All-in against the Devil, wins it.. and receive a curse and blessing "immortality and sharing the powers of the Devil Prince himself". Time has passed by, and he has been around since them, living the life of the game - changing names and profile. After years, he finally meets peace and love at the side of his wife and kids, and start acting as one of the major PokerStars streamers. Nonetheless, both wife and kids end up ill and die... have their soul locked by the Devil who challenges him to play another game as soon as he find him... leaving him wandering around facing mystic forces until the pushes the Devil Prince out of its lair.

My timezone is Madrid-Spain (currently GMT+2 but soon GMT+1).

Long intro, but trying to find player where such concept would fit in... any tips or recommendations? I am also available in disccord marcosmacedo#2158.

Best regards to you all.

• Like 1

Well....  there's a slight conflict.

Since you're in Europe, you would probably find the most players for your 'prime time' on the Reunion shard.  All of the other shards are hosted in Canada, while Reunion is the 'European server' and is hosted in Frankfurt.

On the other hand, you mention role-playing.  The 'unofficial roleplaying server' is Everlasting.  'Unofficial' because it's not designated as such by the developers but the players decided to gather there so that server has more rp'ers than the others.  Just like Indomitable is the 'unofficial' PvP server.

You might want to check the server status at various times of day.  Excelsior has the largest numbers of players and Reunion the least (at this minute).  Excelsior is so much larger that it might be a good choice even during 'off hours'.

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/status/

And, if you start on one server and later change your mind, no problem.  Each account gets five server transfers and these are replenished every 3 days.

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

Starting a separate post due to addressing a completely different subject - character powers, since you say you're new to the game.

As someone from the Wild West, you would probably want to take Dual Pistols as one of your power sets.  Or maybe not.  It's a bit 'acrobatic' - being based more on 'gun kata' than classic gunfighting.  Refer to various anime, the move 'Equilibrium', etc.  If you go with dual pistols, you could be a blaster (focus on damage output), a defender (focus on helping allies, the pistols are the secondary power), a sentinel (damage output a bit less than blaster but you get an armor set for your defense), corrupter (similar to a defender except your damage output comes first and helping allies is secondary).

And how do you envision the 'demonic' powers?  Do you summon demons?  You could play a mastermind with demon pets.  Do you produce fire?  You could use a set blasting fire or a set that uses fire as armor or that uses fire to heal and shield allies.  For example I have a fire/thermal corrupter - her primary power is fire blast and her secondary power is thermal radiation which has healing and fiery shields to put on allies.  You could have a mastermind with demon summoning and thermal radiation.  That's an available combination.

I would recommend not starting off with a mastermind.  They're a bit more complex to play since you have to control your pets as well as yourself.  I would start with a simple character to learn the game mechanics.  There are *SO* many options available.

I would suggest checking out the Homecoming Wiki  https://hcwiki.cityofheroes.dev/wiki/Main_Page  and bookmarking it for future reference.

There's a ton of information there with some of the most useful and relevant articles mentioned on the main page.  You might want to start with The Players' Guide to the Cities

FYI, you posted this thread in the section specifically for the Everlasting shard.  If that was intentional due to having picked this as your home shard, cool.  This is where I hang out.  If you want your posts to reach a wider audience, you should post in one of the other sections.  A post like this would also be appropriate in the 'General Discussion' section.

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

Thank you Ironblade - I am focusing on Everlasting due to its RP nature!

I was thinking that Corrupter or Dominator suits the character, mostly due to the description of the powers.

I was thinking of a Corrupter Fire/Dark Miasma using Dark Fire and Noir pallete - suiting the devilish concept.

Dunno if going Dark+Dark Miasma is too Dark-excessive, or if going Fire / Time Manipulation with Dark Pallete suits as well.. also depends on what makes the game life easier as well..

What would you recommend for a Newbie as Corruptor Powers: Fire/Dark, Dark/Dark, Fire/Time Manipulation or Dark/Time Manipulation?

• Like 1

Well, I would not pick dark/dark simply because both sets have accuracy debuff as a secondary effect.  I think it's better to have a bit more variety in a build.  Never mind the fact that I used to have a dark/dark character with the dark epic pool.  😛

Any of the other three combinations should be fun.  I've taken fire blast, dark blast, dark miasma and time manipulation to level 50 and they're all good.  Also, I think all three would be good for both soloing and team play.

Welcome to the game! That is a good backstory for a character!

I'd definitely recommend going with a corruptor (or a defender) rather than a dominator for your first character. Dominators can be amazing, but they tend to be late-blooming, and they're tricky to play well. Defenders and corruptors are more straightforward.

I shouldn't try to give powerset advice, since I don't have enough experience with the sets you're considering. They're all widely regarded as strong.