Agent Watkins, Steel Canyon Arc

Contact is not showing up as an option in the contact>find contact selection at level 20.

He is located at loc 2281.7 -74.5 -2579.8 in Steel Canyons north west side.

He will talk to you at level 20.

I have run the first mission 3 times at this point. Map is a variation of common factories if not a common factory layout.

1) level 30 Blaster beam rifle/time with IO Sets with a mentor at 49 I think that held the mission. Ran through Oroboros. Pretty easy but swarms/ambushes a bit terrifying. The point I guess. They tended to spawn on top of me and explode immediately. Not sure about difficulty setting, but I think it was +1 based on the enemies. 

2) level 20 Blaster water/plant with SOs.  Ran through contact in Steel. Easily handled on base difficulty. some mobs spawned directly on top of my character and exploded instantly.

3) level 20 Blaster arrows/ninja with SOs. Ran through contact in Steel. Set at +1 player. stumbled on to some while "stealthed" (weren't there on the base difficulty). All the mobs were up and moving around on the other runs. This time there were many times when the mobs were all lying in a heap on the floor. This time, I went down the long hallway before clearing out the fourway room. This made the ambush all the more terrifying as I felt that I had to clear them out before looking for the clue. Ran circles around the room trying to get away with them. Running on a computer with Intel i7-7700 @ 3.6 GHz, 32.0 GB RAM with  an NVIDIA GTX 1060 6 GB,   and my connection is supposedly 100 mb/s connection  (just tested as 946 MB/s download and 890 MB/s upload). The zombies were doing a lot of sliding around instead of walking. 

Survived all three times without falling.

Contact is a bit annoying.

There tends to be a good bit of talking down to player characters by NPCs in this game. This guy is a bad one for this.

Sure he's a US Government Operative, but he's supposed to be non-partisan. He also appears to be enhanced himself based on what he looks like.

Does he want heroes help or not?
Why say he is going to give all the info and then complain when you ask him for more info?

First option might as well be, "I don't care about the risk, just tell me where I need to go to track down these guys" or some such and then just give the player the mission and be done with it. "Okay, I don't suggest going in without complete information, but here's where we think they are located" blah-blah.

Option 2 could be giving them the full dialog.

Sometimes I'm in the mood to read some good NPC text, but somedays I just want a mission.

"Sir! Yes, sir!" I think some of us get plenty of that.

The writing appears good, and I'm looking forward to exploring the rest of the arc.

I am very glad to see different lower level contact.

From rooting around the map looking for Agent Watson, I see there is a signature arc. I don't know where this would be triggered for a player other than seeing it on the map and deciding to do it.

City of Heroes Screenshot 2020.10.28 - 01.31.38.49.png

City of Heroes Screenshot 2020.10.28 - 01.32.35.29.png

• Thanks 1

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

Tested with level 20 SO Energy/energy scrapper. Ran with some 50's this time, which definitely altered the play balance.

One switched characters to a brute which apparently had setting set-up pretty high because the 6 or 7th mission was packed with huge mobs. so that too skewed a strait up test at level.

Energy/energy scrapper kept running out of endurance - even with whirling hands with one end reducer (reduced to 10 end per use) and 3 slotted Stamina and one end reducer in Entropic Aura.

I don't know if this is an issue with energy scrappers in general as I don't have on on live and don't think I had one before the Sunset.

Forgot again. So Whirling hands was often missing it's animation. The time would play out and enemies would take damage, but I wasn't seeing the animation. Character would just be standing there.

problems found

1) Defeat 20 Freak Show in Talos

So yeah, level 20 and the lowest level freaks we saw were level 24!

Might want to think about changing the zone as this seems to act like a tf so you can't run off and do other missions and come back once you are high enough level to fight the freaks. Tried handing off the star to the 50, but we stayed at my level. Somehow we managed to defeat them because they were 50's is my guess. There is no way a group of level 20's could take out mobs of 5-8 purple freaks. That's a bit steep.

2) Investigate the Robbery

Tried using team teleport to get to. Go figure. It's a talk to.

I think it's the first talk to screen with the pharmacist/store owner. Dialog duplicates

"Pierce pauses for a moment, then retrieves a list from her pocket. This is a list of all missing product from inventory. They took about $3500 of NSAIDs alone, but also tourniquets, sterile IV tubing, crutches, gauze pads, two walkers, iodine, hydrogen peroxide, and several suture kits. Total loss is about $9600 all together.

This is a list of all missing product from inventory. They took about $3500 of NSAIDs alone, but also tourinquets, sterile IV tubing, crutches, gauze pads, two walkers, iodine, hydrogen peroxide, and several suture kits. Total loss is about $9600 all together. In my expert opinion, all these items are commonly used to triage people with severe wounds. That would be the standard fare for a combat field medic or an ER surgeon. I hope that helps you somehow."

end of my testing on this for the day

Edited by UltraAlt
  • Thanks 1

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

• Jimmy locked this topic