Teleport long distance problem

Wavicle

This exists on the Live servers and has Always been a problem, so I don't honestly know if it's something that can be fixed.

With Boost Range and Range slotted in Teleport there is a "No Go Zone" that is, a range at which you cannot target onto surfaces to successfully teleport. When you move the cursor to this area and there is geometry there, the Teleport reticle appears at your own location and you TP in place rather than going as far as possible in that direction. I had hoped this Beta's changes would fix this but alas they did not.

Screenshot (46).png

• Like 1

I've encountered a similar issue on i26 using the teleport feature of Mystic Flight.  I'm not running with Boost Range or any range enhancement in Mystic Flight.  I use a click bind in my bind file:

LSHIFT+LBUTTON  "powexecname Translocation$$powexecname Teleport$$powexecname Shadow Step$$powexecname Nictus Shadow Step"

As I'm teleporting click after click, sometimes it's as if a click triggers a new teleport but didn't get that it was to a new distance spot but to a location very near to where I'm currently hovering.  My character faces to the side, and teleports, but barely moves.

I think @Wavicle is seeing in greater detail the same as what happens to me because he's using Boost Range and range enhancement, and also I think teleporting one step at a time without a click bind.  He sees that the teleport reticle is not at range but right beside his toon.  Because of the increased range of teleportation, it may even happen more often.

@Wavicle can also see that the problem seems to be related to the geometry.  It must also involve how the destination spot in 3D-space is determined upon activating the teleport power.  Someone all this is causing the code to think the maximum distance that can be teleported in that direction at this time is near zero.

10 minutes ago, Jacke said:

I've encountered a similar issue on i26 using the teleport feature of Mystic Flight.  I'm not running with Boost Range or any range enhancement in Mystic Flight.  I use a click bind in my bind file:

LSHIFT+LBUTTON  "powexecname Translocation$$powexecname Teleport$$powexecname Shadow Step$$powexecname Nictus Shadow Step"

As I'm teleporting click after click, sometimes it's as if a click triggers a new teleport but didn't get that it was to a new distance spot but to a location very near to where I'm currently hovering.  My character faces to the side, and teleports, but barely moves.

I think @Wavicle is seeing in greater detail the same as what happens to me because he's using Boost Range and range enhancement, and also I think teleporting one step at a time without a click bind.  He sees that the teleport reticle is not at range but right beside his toon.  Because of the increased range of teleportation, it may even happen more often.

@Wavicle can also see that the problem seems to be related to the geometry.  It must also involve how the destination spot in 3D-space is determined upon activating the teleport power.  Someone all this is causing the code to think the maximum distance that can be teleported in that direction at this time is near zero.

Yeah, something like that.

I move the target gradually away from me, and at a certain point it disappears and appears next to me instead, and then when I’ve moved far enough so that there’s no geometry in the way it is then at its max range and I can go in that direction.

Difficult to explain without actually showing someone who is standing there in front of my computer.

10 minutes ago, Wavicle said:

Yeah, something like that.

I move the target gradually away from me, and at a certain point it disappears and appears next to me instead, and then when I’ve moved far enough so that there’s no geometry in the way it is then at its max range and I can go in that direction.

Difficult to explain without actually showing someone who is standing there in front of my computer.

I get it hovering (thanks to Mystic Flight) in the open air, with the first collision surface under my mouse-click well beyond the range of the teleport.  I can't remember for sure if I'd had it when there's nothing in the way before the edge of the map.  I'd not thought of geometry beyond the range of the teleport.  I'll pay more attention to what's in the line of teleport.  May try to fit in some testing to see if I can see the actual reticle jump back while I move my mouse.

Considering what I read somewhere about how /interact find the object to interact with, by searching forward on the horizontal, then close but a bit up, etc., I think the teleport powers do the same thing but fixed along the line of sight through where the mouse is.  The code has to calculate what that means in the game's 3D-space for the destination.  Perhaps the calculation of that location spits out either right at or near the character.  Or an illegal value that gets clamped by sanity code to right at the character.

Edited by Jacke
  • Like 1

It's a mathematical problem I've vaguely aware of.

• Given a 3D space filled with collision surface (buildings, ground, edge of the zone, ie. the map you're on).
  • And a point in that 3D space (where your toon is in that space).
  • You position the mouse on the screen after starting the teleport power.
  • That position is converted into a direction away from the toon's point in space.
  • That direction is project onto the 3D space from the point to the first collision surface in that direction is detected as Point-S.

That one is actually tough to do in the general case, but is very common in 3D games.  More likely assumptions have been made to simplify the problem.   This could be the source of error.  It may also be done by a library that is just a black box used by the server code.

• Along that direction, the maximum range of the teleport is determined as Point-R.
  • As you move the mouse, the last 4 steps are done again; move and the last 5; change map and all bets are off.
  • Which ever is close, Point-R or Point-S, when you click, the toon's position is change to the closer point.
  • At the same time, all the graphic and audio niceties are being done along with everything else.

And somehow, rarely, what is calculated as the close of Point-R or Point-S is calculated as right at the toon itself.  Or goes wrong and how the glitch is handled is as if teleporting to right beside  The reticle jumps in.  If teleported, just do a jump to the left....

That last sentence was a joke.  I bring it up because as far as I can remember, my toon always turns about half-way to the right and teleports a tiny bit.  So it's actually a jump to the right. 🙂