Why soft cap S/L,M,R,AOE still roll high to get hit?

bigmath

That's your damage resistance powers list. 

Stalkers cap their resistances at 75%, your defenses you'll want to get as high as you can.  My SR stalker has 56+ M/R/AoE defenses and still every once in a while gets hit. 

The chances of you being hit really depend on what you're fighting.  It looks like there's an Elite Boss mixed in to what you're fighting and they typically carry a higher tohitt value and so do AVs.  The level of your enemies matters as well, if they're +4 or +5 to you there'll be a big difference in how much more often you'll get hit.  

58 minutes ago, Mezmera said:

That's your damage resistance powers list. 

Stalkers cap their resistances at 75%, your defenses you'll want to get as high as you can.  My SR stalker has 56+ M/R/AoE defenses and still every once in a while gets hit. 

The chances of you being hit really depend on what you're fighting.  It looks like there's an Elite Boss mixed in to what you're fighting and they typically carry a higher tohitt value and so do AVs.  The level of your enemies matters as well, if they're +4 or +5 to you there'll be a big difference in how much more often you'll get hit.  

They also had the defense numbers (in the middle) with 45.52% SL defense, 60.35% melee defense, and 46.38% ranged defense showing, and I'm pretty sure they were talking about the 32.71% chance for the SL Farm Elite Boss to hit them with those defense numbers. I will agree that having the resistance numbers up don't help much, though.

The 7% and 7.35% for the minions makes perfect sense once the purple patch is accounted for (minions are at 1.0 accuracy and a +4 mob is 1.4, so 5% floored to-hit * 1.0 * 1.4 = 7% and Storm Kick gets an accuracy bonus). Elite Bosses get 1.3 accuracy, so to have a 32.71% final chance at +4 (1.4) using Call Hawk (base accuracy), the mob's to-hit was at 64.35% once you account for the 46.38% ranged defense (it's higher than the lethal defense so it gets used). So that means the EB had a to-hit bonus active which also needs to be accounted for with the defense to floor the chance to hit: did it use Build Up just before this, or does the custom mob have Rage in one of the powersets?

For reference, a floored +4 EB will have a 9.1% chance to hit, but each point that its base hit chance isn't floored gets multiplied by 1.82 (1.95 for a +4 AV, they have a 1.5 accuracy modifier).

Edited by siolfir
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, siolfir said:

They also had the defense numbers (in the middle) with 45.52% SL defense, 60.35% melee defense, and 46.38% ranged defense showing, and I'm pretty sure they were talking about the 32.71% chance for the SL Farm Elite Boss to hit them with those defense numbers. I will agree that having the resistance numbers up don't help much, though.

The 7% and 7.35% for the minions makes perfect sense once the purple patch is accounted for (minions are at 1.0 accuracy and a +4 mob is 1.4, so 5% floored to-hit * 1.0 * 1.4 = 7% and Storm Kick gets an accuracy bonus). Elite Bosses get 1.3 accuracy, so to have a 32.71% final chance at +4 (1.4) using Call Hawk (base accuracy), the mob's to-hit was at 64.35% once you account for the 46.38% ranged defense (it's higher than the lethal defense so it gets used). So that means the EB had a to-hit bonus active which also needs to be accounted for with the defense to floor the chance to hit: did it use Build Up just before this, or does the custom mob have Rage in one of the powersets?

For reference, a floored +4 EB will have a 9.1% chance to hit, but each point that its base hit chance isn't floored gets multiplied by 1.82 (1.95 for a +4 AV, they have a 1.5 accuracy modifier).

Ah yeah I see that, that big power list distracted me from that small list in the middle.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mezmera said:

Ah yeah I see that, that big power list distracted me from that small list in the middle.  

That's what I expected - like I said, having the resistance numbers open didn't help. 🙂 The rest of the post was directed to the OP, but since I didn't include the link I thought it might be worth pointing out where I was pulling those numbers from: Attack Mechanics from the wiki.

The to-hit bonuses don't kick in unless the mob has a power that provides it (Build Up!), it's an Incarnate mob (64% base chance to hit instead of 50%), or the mob is +6 or higher to you.

Hide grants bigger defense values when you are hidden. The moment you are not hidden the defense will be lower. Since that Screenshot is in the AE building i asume ypu are still hidden.your s l defenses are caped while hidden, but after you start attacking your def will drop by ~2%. You will have a huge boost to aoe defense, that will drop completely out of hide.

The purple patch and eliteboss mechanic just adds zo the problem. Maybe OP can post the build?