Expanding Account Bound Unlocks (As a player option)

The idea that,

'look at that person who had it so easy, it makes my hero not as great because I chose the longer way' is only negative, because you convinced yourself it is negative therefor this person has a undesirable personality, absurdness and madness, because it comes across like you think you have the better judgement.

<snip>

I have one word. Connotations. If you convinced yourself the player is playing incorrectly because his interest differs from yours, well man thanks for supporting your community.

ToZ, I wasn't able to clearly follow everything in your post, but I pulled these 2 out, because I agree with you 100%.  The beauty of a MMORPG is that there isn't 1 right way to do things.  And people who think that there is only 1 right way are limiting the joy they could otherwise find in the game.  Why put a burden on yourself like anger when playing a game if you need not do so.

To maintain a healthly playerbase there need to be game mechanics, and those mechanics need to be followed and have meaning. 

I know that any Lvl 50 character, followed game mechanics to earn some large amount of XP to get to level 50.  The exact nature of those mechanics are broad enough to include AE, Sidekicking, grinding through content, moving quickly through content, and what not.  But regardless of how, the XP was earned by the character.

If I see a character with Task Force Commander, I know that character has had to complete the required 7 TF's to get there.  How they completed them - Ouroboros, solo'ed, group of 8, sat at the back of the map and did nothing, isn't concerning to me.  What's concerning is that they did the 7 TF's.

Why do I care in either case?  Well let's paint both pictures - a player gets his first character to lvl 50 and can now automatically boost any character to lvl 50.  That player will now skip the entire 1-50 content, and there are now significantly fewer choices for me to team with.  Now my own choices become limited - significantly fewer people to team with.  Those 50+ players start leaving because the game is boring...And the lower lvl players start leaving because their options are more finite.  And we begin a downward spiral

The same is true, but on a smaller scale with Accolades.  "Hey, hey - I don't every have to run Synapse's TF again" - well now we have a smaller population to do the TF with.  And those players who remain have fewer veterans to team with to help shepherd through the TF.  So more and more TF's start falling apart, and eventually it's only a few lonely people in the wilderness asking to desperately get at least 3 people together to run a TF...

So for me, it's about the health of the playerbase and the game.  The grind can be shortened or lengthened, but there needs to be a grind so that we have sufficient players to make the MM part of MMORPG continue.

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

+1

So once someone hits 50 they should be able to Insta-50? Once one character unlocks patrons all their account characters should have access to patrons? Why not just Insta 50 everyone and give them every badge and every accolade.... oh wait you can do that if you run your own server..... Not sure why people play the game if they don't want to actually play the game. Accolades are something one achieves per character.. just like other badges and... levels. I've noticed a distinct "Gimme gimme attitude" since the game has returned which I find ironic since so many people claim that the game is about the journey (blah blah blah). I am a PLer and even I think this is a bad idea. Getting accolades has been something you do with your character while leveling up or once you are 50. If implemented it should be at reduced effectiveness OR those who actually do ALL the work for the accolade on each character should have a better version of the accolade.

I think this cheapens the achievement. I mean why even bother making people get Atlas Medallion, TFC, Portal Jockey, etc.. just give it to them then.

Sure I would love to log in and have these on all my new characters, but it kinda takes away from the actual intent of an accolade imo. That character did specific tasks and in return is recognized for those achievements by the accolade.

If anything like this went live I would sure hope the accolade on the characters who did not actually complete all the tasks required was a reduced amount. Basically you are asking for an "I win" accolade button. With the main 4 - Atlas, TFC, Portal Jockey, and Freedom Phalanx you are looking at 20% max health and 10% end just for creating a character - seems a bit OP to me. Whatever happened to the whole "journey" and "earning" that people like to chime in with all the time?

For those of us who actually work towards the accolades this would be a complete slap in the face. Sorry but I cannot support the whole "I win" aspect of this suggestion - there would have to be a definitive downgrade in values for me to support this.

You still had to earn it though, just not 100 times.

Maybe because you PL you need accolades to feel like you're playing your toons, but for those who don't PL there is little need to "feel" like we're playing our alts because we already are.

You need to learn to read... I PL SOME of my characters. Heck I even gave an example of one character that all I did was radio missions to 50. I do not PL every...or even half of my 14 50's. I play all my chracters - they are all Tier 3 Incarnates who have done every itrial (except UG.. I hate UG). Maybe you shouldn't assume nonsensical things about people you know nothing about. Had you read and understood my posts.. you would have seen that I have done all the story arcs.. I beta tested for 6 years and in doing so have done more content (over and over) than most people. Your attempt at a backhanded comment was weak, but nice try.

RIF

+1

So once someone hits 50 they should be able to Insta-50? Once one character unlocks patrons all their account characters should have access to patrons? Why not just Insta 50 everyone and give them every badge and every accolade.... oh wait you can do that if you run your own server..... Not sure why people play the game if they don't want to actually play the game. Accolades are something one achieves per character.. just like other badges and... levels. I've noticed a distinct "Gimme gimme attitude" since the game has returned which I find ironic since so many people claim that the game is about the journey (blah blah blah). I am a PLer and even I think this is a bad idea. Getting accolades has been something you do with your character while leveling up or once you are 50. If implemented it should be at reduced effectiveness OR those who actually do ALL the work for the accolade on each character should have a better version of the accolade.

I think this cheapens the achievement. I mean why even bother making people get Atlas Medallion, TFC, Portal Jockey, etc.. just give it to them then.

Sure I would love to log in and have these on all my new characters, but it kinda takes away from the actual intent of an accolade imo. That character did specific tasks and in return is recognized for those achievements by the accolade.

If anything like this went live I would sure hope the accolade on the characters who did not actually complete all the tasks required was a reduced amount. Basically you are asking for an "I win" accolade button. With the main 4 - Atlas, TFC, Portal Jockey, and Freedom Phalanx you are looking at 20% max health and 10% end just for creating a character - seems a bit OP to me. Whatever happened to the whole "journey" and "earning" that people like to chime in with all the time?

For those of us who actually work towards the accolades this would be a complete slap in the face. Sorry but I cannot support the whole "I win" aspect of this suggestion - there would have to be a definitive downgrade in values for me to support this.

You still had to earn it though, just not 100 times.

Maybe because you PL you need accolades to feel like you're playing your toons, but for those who don't PL there is little need to "feel" like we're playing our alts because we already are.

The same is true, but on a smaller scale with Accolades.  "Hey, hey - I don't every have to run Synapse's TF again" - well now we have a smaller population to do the TF with.  And those players who remain have fewer veterans to team with to help shepherd through the TF.  So more and more TF's start falling apart, and eventually it's only a few lonely people in the wilderness asking to desperately get at least 3 people together to run a TF...

So for me, it's about the health of the playerbase and the game.  The grind can be shortened or lengthened, but there needs to be a grind so that we have sufficient players to make the MM part of MMORPG continue.

Agreed.

Anyone who played on one of the lower pop servers on live (i.e. any other than Freedom, Virtue and Infinity) will remember how hard it could be to assemble a team for some group content - and harder still if that content wasn't tied to a 'must-have' reward like an accolade.  The character I ran through the Hollows from 6-15 was level 50 before I managed to finally get a team together for the Caverns of Transcendance to properly 'finish' that zone's story.

I already see people talking about running Synapse through gritted teeth - give those people the option to skip it (and who knows what else besides) and they will take it.