How many idle accounts and characters?

Rathulfr

1 minute ago, Rathulfr said:

Based on my experiences thus far, my operating assumption is that I'm not getting replies because I'm sending to idle accounts, not because I'm being ignored by active players.  From the reception I've received on this thread, I suspect that I'd definitely get some responses from active players if I they were getting my emails.

That May be, but I dont think thats information any of us should be privy to honestly.

1 minute ago, Infinitum said:

That May be, but I dont think thats information any of us should be privy to honestly.

That's cool: we have differing opinions on that, then.  I'm already looking over Cipher's previous posts to try to glean something meaningful, as directed by GM Impervium.

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer

Just now, Rathulfr said:

That's cool: we have differing opinions on that, then.  I'm already looking over Cipher's previous posts to try to glean something meaningful, as directed by GM Impervium.

Ok I'm honestly curious.  Not trying to troll or flame.

Your motivation is to gain a list of what particular accounts and characters on the accounts are inactive - specifically?

12 minutes ago, Infinitum said:

Ok I'm honestly curious.  Not trying to troll or flame.

Your motivation is to gain a list of what particular accounts and characters on the accounts are inactive - specifically?

No, I have no interest in any specific data about accounts or characters: I just wanted some summary data of numbers for crude statistical purposes.  For example, if there are 100K total accounts, and 75K of them are idle (last logon > 1 year), then there's a 75% chance that my name inquiry emails get no reply because the recipients are gone. 

Currently, there's a 100% certainty that I'm not able to create a character with a name reserved by any account, even those that are idle.  This is because the current de facto name policy is "names are reserved forever".  So if there's a particular name I'd like to use, I have to send a /tell, /gfriend, or in-game email to the global of the person who has reserved that name.

There are a couple of names I'd like to get on a couple of shards, but they're reserved by other players.  Since the fall of 2019, I've sent inquiries to those players every few months (about 3-4 months apart), to see if they're still active.  I have received no replies at all.

@Rathstar

5 minutes ago, Rathulfr said:

No, I have no interest in any specific data about accounts or characters: I just wanted some summary data of numbers for crude statistical purposes.  For example, if there are 100K total accounts, and 75K of them are idle (last logon > 1 year), then there's a 75% chance that my name inquiry emails get no reply because the recipients are gone. 

Currently, there's a 100% certainty that I'm not able to create a character with a name reserved by any account, even those that are idle.  This is because the current de facto name policy is "names are reserved forever".  So if there's a particular name I'd like to use, I have to send a /tell, /gfriend, or in-game email to the global of the person who has reserved that name.

There are a couple of names I'd like to get on a couple of shards, but they're reserved by other players.  Since the fall of 2019, I've sent inquiries to those players every few months (about 3-4 months apart), to see if they're still active.  I have received no replies at all.

But if you don't want specific data, how will it be useful to you? 75% or 25% -without certainty it may as well be 100%.

20 minutes ago, Infinitum said:

But if you don't want specific data, how will it be useful to you? 75% or 25% -without certainty it may as well be 100%.

75% idle would tell me to stop sending inquiries; 25% idle would tell me to keep trying.

Edited by Rathulfr

@Rathstar

14 minutes ago, Rathulfr said:

75% idle would tell me to stop sending inquiries; 25% idle would tell me to keep trying.

Yeah, but I think you are grasping for false hope either way - so why not put a canned email in a notepad file, and send it once a month if its that important to you.

5 minutes ago, Infinitum said:

Yeah, but I think you are grasping for false hope either way - so why not put a canned email in a notepad file, and send it once a month if its that important to you.

Grasping for false hope could be considered by some to be an apt description of life itself, could it not? 😉

Yes, that's what I've been doing, except only once a quarter (not month).

Edited by Rathulfr

@Rathstar

Just now, ScarySai said:

Maybe you should take the hint, sherlock.

Wow.

@Rathstar