EMP/RAD build

YojiSeraph

Hello, I'm pretty new to the Mid's Hero program and was looking for some assistance on a build for my new EMP/RAD. Looking for it to be more of a support than to be dishing out any damage. I'd like to have it more on the high end so its capable of doing just about anything possible in the game that involves a team of course. Since I won't be worrying about doing any damage. Thanks..

"Since I won't be worrying about doing any damage. Thanks.."

I hope you discover you can play empathy at 100% and still have time, endurance, and opportunity to use your blasts to support your teams.

Neutrino bolt can be a proc monster. You won't deal the damage of a blaster but it will make a difference. This ability also takes the Achille's Heel  Chance for -resistance. This makes your target squishy to the whole team.

Irradiate - Point blank range area of effect. Ths ability also can utilize the Achille's Heel Proc. This is no nuke but the defense debuff and chance for resistance debuff make a difference.

Proton Volley - This beauty of an ability is a snipe and a bit of a Damage over Time. It's great for pulling or for getting a pesky minion off a teammate. It's also useful to dogpile on a target at the start of a fight.

Aim - I would slot only Gaussian's Build Up proc and I would use it in conjunction with:

Atomic Blast - This is a Point Blank Range damage yes, but more importantly for a defender  an area of effect HOLD and - def... they can't move and they are easier to hit 

So of these previous attacks, Proton Volley and Aim you may want to skip.

You dont really want to waste time and opportunity waiting for someone to heal or for fortitude, the buff auras, and adrenaline boost to recharge? 

• Like 2

Unfortunately I can't currently use Mids, no internet connection other than this phone.  With that disclaimer out of the way

I generally do not take either Absorb Pain or Resurrect on my Empaths.  AP is very niche and generally if spamming HO+HA plus RegenAura and Fortitude don't stop the bleed, prep Vengeance 😜.  Resurrect isn't bad but there are so many temp powers, awaken inspires, self rezzes that it's generally redundant, an easy place to save a power choice.  And if multiple folks are down the team isn't going to wait for Resurrect to recharge (even at high recharge).  If you do take it drop an endred in the base slot and save it for someone critical.

Healing Aura and Heal Other -> 6 slot one with Preventative Medicine and the other 5 slot with Doctored Wounds (low cost) or Panacea (high cost)

Clear Mind -> take at 8th or close to.  No additional slots needed.  Enhance to taste, really doesn't matter with what.

Fortitude -> one of your best buffs.  Take it asap.  Slotting choices vary from 3 to 6 slots.  Minimum of 3 Membranes, often adding 1 more slot with a LotG +7.5% recharge global.  Prior to lvl 50 prioritize defense then to hit (particularly if not running Tactics which I'd recommend you do)

Recovery Aura -> 3 slots, 1 recharge, 2 endmod/rech.  I generally try to keep the recharge of this and RegenAura similar.  That way I use one then fire the other, avoids having to track them separately.

Regeneration Aura  -> 5 slot either Doctored Wounds or Panacea (low cost/high cost)

Adrenaline Boost -> 5 slot either Doctored Wounds or Panacea.  With crashless Nukes I no longer 6 slot adding an endmod/recharge.

That's the Empath side, I see @Psylenz0511has covered most of the blasts.  Might be an oversight on their part but I wouldn't skip Cosmic Burst.  Generally I'm looking for Purple/ATO sets where possible as my Empathy team builds focus on recharge then more recharge and yet more recharge.  My mitigation is teammates, inspires, epic shields and my Auras on minimal cool downs.  Defense is for solo or very small team builds (vs x8 settings) 

Pools -> Hasten (like I said all about the recharge) and Leadership typically at least Assault, Tactics and Vengeance.  After that I'm fond of Combat Jump and Super Speed but it's whatever you prefer.

PS:  The whole "dealing damage" thing I'll point out even if you never attack (which almost everyone would say is not a good idea) that's a ton a lost global recharge if they are not slotted and enhanced which will very directly effect your ability to minimize the cool down times on those potent buffs -> Fortitude, the Auras and Adrenaline Boost.  Slot and use those attacks when not buffing. 

1 hour ago, Psylenz0511 said:

@Doomguide2005 It was certainly an inadvertent omission: cosmic burst your defenders want the stun potentially more than the damage. Take that pesky sapper, sky raider engineer, or other minion out of the fight.

Yeah what I figured.  I know Cosmic Burst plus Air Superiority was a big part of how my Emp/Rad managed to survive running 'Invincible' missions of Cimmeroran repeatables anytime she got a couple bosses.  Stun one and get (and keep) the other bouncing before he could get his protection active, then take them out.

16 hours ago, Doomguide2005 said:

Unfortunately I can't currently use Mids, no internet connection other than this phone.  With that disclaimer out of the way

I generally do not take either Absorb Pain or Resurrect on my Empaths.  AP is very niche and generally if spamming HO+HA plus RegenAura and Fortitude don't stop the bleed, prep Vengeance 😜.  Resurrect isn't bad but there are so many temp powers, awaken inspires, self rezzes that it's generally redundant, an easy place to save a power choice.  And if multiple folks are down the team isn't going to wait for Resurrect to recharge (even at high recharge).  If you do take it drop an endred in the base slot and save it for someone critical.

Healing Aura and Heal Other -> 6 slot one with Preventative Medicine and the other 5 slot with Doctored Wounds (low cost) or Panacea (high cost)

Clear Mind -> take at 8th or close to.  No additional slots needed.  Enhance to taste, really doesn't matter with what.

Fortitude -> one of your best buffs.  Take it asap.  Slotting choices vary from 3 to 6 slots.  Minimum of 3 Membranes, often adding 1 more slot with a LotG +7.5% recharge global.  Prior to lvl 50 prioritize defense then to hit (particularly if not running Tactics which I'd recommend you do)

Recovery Aura -> 3 slots, 1 recharge, 2 endmod/rech.  I generally try to keep the recharge of this and RegenAura similar.  That way I use one then fire the other, avoids having to track them separately.

Regeneration Aura  -> 5 slot either Doctored Wounds or Panacea (low cost/high cost)

Adrenaline Boost -> 5 slot either Doctored Wounds or Panacea.  With crashless Nukes I no longer 6 slot adding an endmod/recharge.

That's the Empath side, I see @Psylenz0511has covered most of the blasts.  Might be an oversight on their part but I wouldn't skip Cosmic Burst.  Generally I'm looking for Purple/ATO sets where possible as my Empathy team builds focus on recharge then more recharge and yet more recharge.  My mitigation is teammates, inspires, epic shields and my Auras on minimal cool downs.  Defense is for solo or very small team builds (vs x8 settings) 

Pools -> Hasten (like I said all about the recharge) and Leadership typically at least Assault, Tactics and Vengeance.  After that I'm fond of Combat Jump and Super Speed but it's whatever you prefer.

PS:  The whole "dealing damage" thing I'll point out even if you never attack (which almost everyone would say is not a good idea) that's a ton a lost global recharge if they are not slotted and enhanced which will very directly effect your ability to minimize the cool down times on those potent buffs -> Fortitude, the Auras and Adrenaline Boost.  Slot and use those attacks when not buffing. 

I appreciate the outlook for sure everyone. Also, you are right about the never attacking and its good for global recharge. Its not like I won't throw a damage in rotation per say, I just wanted to worry more about the heals and buff/debuff aspect in the missions. Keeping everyone alive and buffing team or debuffing the enemies ya know. I beleive i got a good setup of the skils i desire to accomplish this, but spec'ing out the character with the right enhancements is something i not really getting honestly. 

2 hours ago, YojiSeraph said:

I appreciate the outlook for sure everyone. Also, you are right about the never attacking and its good for global recharge. Its not like I won't throw a damage in rotation per say, I just wanted to worry more about the heals and buff/debuff aspect in the missions. Keeping everyone alive and buffing team or debuffing the enemies ya know. I beleive i got a good setup of the skils i desire to accomplish this, but spec'ing out the character with the right enhancements is something i not really getting honestly. 

Getting the right enhancements is primarily two things, especially at first.  First is knowledge, knowing what sets give what bonuses.  Then second deciding what the goal(s) of your build are going to be.  Largely that's a matter of practice, making and looking at builds in Mids.   For example, above I'm selecting sets primarily for their ability to grant recharge bonuses as my main goal is recharge at least sufficient for perma-Hasten.  Doctored Wounds and Panacea both grant recharge for 5 slots while Preventive Medicine requires 6.  Things like Miracle and Numina's provide other bonuses.

Likewise I'd look at Decimation (+recharge) vs Thunderstrike (+defense) in my ranged attacks or Purple sets which provide +recharge (as well as significant +accuracy)

Most sets are listed in the HCwiki as well as being searchable by bonus in Mids and is a good way to learn what does what.