Skies and Base lighting

LdyPirate

I recently added a sky to a base I am working on. One or two of the rooms have an open portal type to let in helicopters(the rest of the bases ceilings are normal), but...the sky (nightward or any other I use) tends to tint the base and cast shadows even though the rest of the base is closed off. I've never experienced that and was wonder if I have done something wrong.

You chose the Night Ward sky as the default sky through the base options menu, correct? As opposed to hand-placing skyboxes? It, along with a few other sky types, have additional atmospheric effects inherent in them - some fairly extreme. It is normal for the Night Ward sky to apply a bluish cast to the lighting in a base, to a varying extent depending on other factors. To troubleshoot your issue it'd be easiest if I could take a look at the base and see the problem for myself, but while I'm just in the forums I can ask questions:

1) Is your base built inside the plot (i.e. the traditional way) with the ceiling set to Open Sky where you have your helicopter bay, or on top of it, with whatever part you've been using for a roof elsewhere on the building left off?

2) Is your lighting type set to Indoor? The outdoor sky lighting options break the light-casting effect of any light-emitting objects you place, and don't play nice with the High/Medium/Low room lighting options inside the plot at all. If you are building inside the base plot, you should probably use Indoor lighting (this will not prevent you from using Open Sky ceilings).

3) Which sky are you using, exactly? While Night Ward's bluish cast may be possible to offset with your lighting choices, the Lighted Path, Shadowed Path, and Dense Fog skies all come with dramatic fog effects built into them that work by essentially altering your view distance, thus overriding other lighting effects.

If you are building inside the base plot, one way to solve your lighting problem would be for you to use a different default sky (one from one of the city zones, that doesn't screw with lighting so much) and hand-place "sky" objects of your desired type in your helicopter bay, anywhere the open roof would be visible. It may take a little fiddling to get them positioned to cover the whole room. This would confine the bluish lighting to only that area.

Or the super-lazy way would be to choose "Space" as your sky instead of "Night Ward" if you want a starry sky without the fiddling.

Edited by Flashtoo

Character portrait artist for hire, PM for details!

Commissions: Closed, Sorry

1.Built inside the plot the traditional way with ceiling set to open sky in the helo bay and one small area in the next room.

2. Not sure if its set to indoor Im guessing not if Im getting the nightward hue inside the entire base even the closed off ceiling room.

3 Nightward sky default not  placed effect.

Ill try the others. Thanks for the advice 🙂 if you would like to see the effect look for me in game (everlasting server) using my @LdyPirate global.