Hellfireside Chats with The Legendary Living Hellfire - Part 1 - Engelbert

Living_Hellfire

Hello, friends, The Legendary Living Hellfire coming in hot.

I present my first in my limited series of conversations with community members on the Excelsior server. On this, our very first conversation I speak with Englebert. This is his character name and he has asked me not to use his global name, which is an entirely reasonable request in my view. Shortly prior to us sitting down in The Crucible, which is the name for that cozy space in my base where these conversations take place, I had the opportunity to see the base he had constructed which you will see referenced in the conversation. It truly is an impressive design, very large, very detailed and in the style of a spaceship. I very much encourage you to check it out if you have the opportunity.

Now, a couple things about this chat from a technical point of view. I realize that the rules I have laid out say that there will be zero editing, however this conversation began before it even occurred to me that transcribing these conversations for this project might even be a good idea, so there is a portion of the chat that is redacted, but it's all at the beginning and is extraneous and not really relevant anyway. Moving forward once the chat begins there will be no editing for content, spelling or anything.

Further, this is transcribed directly to notepad for two reasons. Primarily because I feel that despite as cramped as it might seem it maintains the authentic feel of the chat itself. I'm trying to duplicate as much as possible what it would be like to experience this chat in game in the very chat channel where it occurs. Secondly due to the nature of the way /copychat works formatting the chat to seem more pleasing to the eye, because I'll be honest this can seem like a wall of text, would be almost prohibitive in terms of the time it would take to do a more rich-text format. Having said that I'm happy to field suggestions and ideas about how it could be done so quickly and easily without being overly laborious, but again remember that authenticity is important in terms of how these conversations should read.

Without further ado, I present my very first conversation in this limited series; Hellfireside Chats with The Legendary Living Hellfire featuring Englebert, master base builder and all-round interesting guy. This conversation took place over the course of just under two hours, but it should take far less time than that to read. I encourage you to comment and discuss in the comments of this post. I look forward to your participation in whatever form you feel comfortable participating.

Cheers;

-Liv

Hellfireside Chats - Englebert.txt

• Like 1

-The Legendary Living Hellfire

"The newest person in the room is always the most important person in the room"

Thing is, almost all submariners get seasick.  But that's because we generally spend very little time on or near the surface rockin' and rollin' and don't have a chance to get used to it.  Something like 99% of our sea time is spent deep enough that there's no sea motion, only a (very) little vibration.  Heck, the only time I really saw vibration in the coffee in my cup was when we were doing some powerplant/drivetrain testing and were going balls to the wall.  (And my boat was old and not designed to nearly the specs of of the more modern boats.)

OTOH, there's the time we spent three days surfaced on the edge of a North Atlantic winter storm taking green water over the bridge for reasons...  That's a legend among the crew.  Nearly forty years later and it still pops up from time-to-time in our reunion group on FB.  I was one of the very few that wasn't sick as dog and the resulting re-arrangement of the watch bill meant I ended up on watch for nearly eighteen hours straight.

I found his comment about beards interesting.  Pretty much everyone on the boat grew a beard underway (though we were required to keep them trimmed and demonstrate we could pull a seal on the mask).  But that could be a difference in era or a difference in CO's.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Unofficial Homecoming Wiki - Paragon Wiki updated for Homecoming!  Your contributions are welcome!
(Not the owner/operator - just a fan who wants to spread the word.)