Storm/Dark Defender Build (Please help)

Everwind

Revived my Storm/Dark Defender from the old days and this is how I imagined his end build.  While I am not a min/maxer, I do want to be able to solo and join teams taskforces and meaningfully contribute.  Any thoughts on this build?

Hero Plan by Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer 2.7.2.10
https://github.com/Crytilis/mids-reborn-hero-designer

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Everwind: Level 50 Mutation Defender
Primary Power Set: Storm Summoning
Secondary Power Set: Dark Blast
Power Pool: Flight
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Fighting
Power Pool: Leadership
Ancillary Pool: Mu Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Gale -- SuddAcc--KB/+KD(A), FrcFdb-Rechg%(3), FrcFdb-Acc/KB(40)
Level 1: Dark Blast -- SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg(A), SprWntBit-Rchg/SlowProc(48), SprWntBit-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(48)
Level 2: Gloom -- SprVglAss-Acc/Dmg(A), SprVglAss-Dmg/Rchg(3), SprVglAss-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(5), SprVglAss-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(23), SprVglAss-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(25), SprVglAss-Rchg/+Absorb(25)
Level 4: Fly -- BlsoftheZ-Travel(A), BlsoftheZ-ResKB(40)
Level 6: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(7)
Level 8: Freezing Rain -- SprFrzBls-Acc/Dmg(A), SprFrzBls-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(9), SprFrzBls-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(9), SprFrzBls-Rchg/ImmobProc(13), AchHee-DefDeb/Rchg(19), AchHee-ResDeb%(23)
Level 10: Steamy Mist -- UnbGrd-ResDam(A), UnbGrd-Max HP%(11), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(11), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(15), Ags-Psi/Status(15), ImpArm-ResPsi(46)
Level 12: Moonbeam -- StnoftheM-Acc/Dmg(A), StnoftheM-Dmg/EndRdx(13), StnoftheM-Acc/ActRdx/Rng(17), StnoftheM-Dmg/ActRdx/Rchg(17), StnoftheM-Dam%(21), StnoftheM-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(21)
Level 14: Hurricane -- DarWtcDsp-ToHitDeb/EndRdx(A)
Level 16: Hover -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(46)
Level 18: O2 Boost -- NmnCnv-Heal/Rchg(A), NmnCnv-Heal/EndRdx/Rchg(19)
Level 20: Night Fall -- PstBls-Acc/Dmg(A), PstBls-Dmg/EndRdx(27), PstBls-Dmg/Rng(27), PstBls-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(29), PstBls-Dam%(29), CldSns-%Dam(31)
Level 22: Kick -- Mk'Bit-Acc/Dmg(A)
Level 24: Tough -- GldArm-3defTpProc(A), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(34), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(34), UnbGrd-ResDam(36)
Level 26: Tornado -- OvrFrc-Acc/Dmg(A), OvrFrc-End/Rech(31), OvrFrc-Acc/Dmg/End(43), OvrFrc-Dmg/End/Rech(43), OvrFrc-Dam/KB(45), OvrFrc-Acc/Dmg/End/Rech(45)
Level 28: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(31), LucoftheG-Def(36), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(36)
Level 30: Afterburner -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 32: Lightning Storm -- SprDfnBst-Acc/Dmg(A), SprDfnBst-Dmg/Rchg(33), SprDfnBst-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(33), SprDfnBst-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(33), SprDfnBst-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(34), SprDfnBst-Rchg/Heal%(39)
Level 35: Life Drain -- Apc-Dmg(A), Apc-Dmg/Rchg(37), Apc-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(37), Apc-Acc/Rchg(37), Apc-Dmg/EndRdx(39), Apc-Dam%(39)
Level 38: Power Sink -- PreOptmz-Acc/Rech(A), PreOptmz-EndMod/Acc/Rech(40)
Level 41: Blackstar -- SprAvl-Acc/Dmg(A), SprAvl-Dmg/EndRdx(42), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(42), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(42), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(43), SprAvl-Rchg/KDProc(46)
Level 44: Charged Armor -- RctArm-ResDam/EndRdx(A), RctArm-ResDam(45), RctArm-ResDam/Rchg(48)
Level 47: Assault -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 49: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(50), Ksm-ToHit+(50), Ksm-Def/EndRdx(50)
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Quick Form 
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Vigilance 
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run 
Level 2: Swift -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Health -- Mrc-Rcvry+(A), Pnc-Heal/+End(5)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- EndMod-I(A), EndMod-I(7)
Level 50: Cardiac Boost 
Level 50: Ageless Invocation 
Level 50: Ion Core Judgement 
Level 50: Assault Genome 
------------

Good evening fellow stormy.

I like how you built your stormy. I agree with your goals for participation. There is a feature with the new proccing regime to maximize your +recharge which I see you utilized in gale. I also slotted some in Lightning storm, and Tornado, maybe I am ignorant on that point. I do know some procs work only on the pet and others work on the caster. Aside from that, Torrent is a good candidate for slotting the Force Feedback +recharge proc and the KB > KD proc to knock em down and add to your recharge - cone style (aoes, more targets more chance to proc).

I would take super speed instead of fly to stack the stealth in super speed with the stealth in steamy mist, making you a candidate to stealth missions for objectives to speed up missions and taskforces. If you really need to fly I suggest the flight packs available at the pay-to-win vendors.

I went scorpion on my stormy for the immobilize (for certain AVs that run, too much, I am looking at you Rommie,) and a hold for the LGTF or other content where you want a hold. I would not take more than maneuvers on a stormy since storms are end hogs. Also, your freezing rain works the other side of the +tohit aspect (-def)in tactics. I might go other than scorpion if I already had Tenebrous Tentacles, it plays well with hurricane and manipulating groups of foes. Plus, iirc, you can proc the immobilize and the targeted aoe features in TT.

I would miss snowstorm far too much to skip it. It slows movement, it slows recharge, but what many folks forget or don't know is the interrupt factor that snowstorm has that minimizes the features of many foes encountered. Embalmed cadavers do not explode in a snowstorm. Energy Mages do not self-destruct in snowstorms. Sky raider engineers do NOT summon force field generators in a snowstorm. Rikti communication officers cannot summon additional rikti minions in a snowstorm. Flying foes are unable to fly in a snowstorm. I am sure I have omitted some other key interrupts. It;s also an ability you might have leveling up and respecify out of at 50 when you get incarnate abilities, but it would be hard to skip at low levels especially.

Thoughts:

• Gale. This is a wasted power slot - it does nothing for you that Torrent doesn’t already do better.
  • Freezing Rain. Procs in this power are normally ineffective. All it really needs is some recharge (or sets that come with recharge alongside their set bonuses).
  • Moonbeam. The 6th Sting of the Manticore isn’t very useful. I’d get rid of it or replace it with a proc.
  • Hover. You probably need LotG here.
  • O2 Boost. Panacea 5-slot or Preventative 6-slot are solid choices here.
  • Night Fall. I’d ditch this - it’s not a very good AE.
  • Tornado. Soulbound Allegiance, Force Feedback and the single Overwhelming Force proc.
  • Lightning Storm. Force Feedback and whatever else (ATOs or Apocalypse work well here). You don’t actually need 6 slots unless you’re getting nice set bonuses.
  • Life Drain. This is not a nuke. It’s a nice place to mule Cloud Senses or you could potentially slot it for self-healing.
  • Power Sink. Conserve Power tends to be more generally useful.
  • Torrent. Slot for Sudden Acceleration, Force Feedback and as many procs as you can fit and still be able to hit things. Procs > damage for this power.
  • Tenebrous Tentacles. This is a good place to dump Gravitational Anchor for more recharge. Storm/Dark without the AE Immobilize seems odd.

So some good advice above, this is a newer build.

Everwind 2: Level 50 Mutation Defender

Hero Profile:
Level 1: O2 Boost -- Pnc-Heal/EndRedux(A), Pnc-Heal/Rchg(7), Pnc-Heal(23), Pnc-Heal/EndRedux/Rchg(23), Pnc-EndRdx/Rchg(25)
Level 1: Dark Blast -- SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg(A), SprWntBit-Dmg/Rchg(3), SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(3), SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(21), SprWntBit-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(46), SprWntBit-Rchg/SlowProc(48)
Level 2: Gloom -- SprVglAss-Acc/Dmg(A), SprVglAss-Dmg/Rchg(5), SprVglAss-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(5), SprVglAss-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(19), SprVglAss-Rchg/+Absorb(19), SprVglAss-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(21)
Level 4: Fly -- BlsoftheZ-Travel(A), BlsoftheZ-ResKB(17)
Level 6: Steamy Mist -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(7), ImpArm-ResPsi(13), Ags-Psi/Status(15), UnbGrd-ResDam(15), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(17)
Level 8: Moonbeam -- StnoftheM-Acc/Dmg(A), StnoftheM-Acc/ActRdx/Rng(9), StnoftheM-Dmg/ActRdx/Rchg(9), StnoftheM-Dmg/EndRdx(11), StnoftheM-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(13), StnoftheM-Dam%(48)
Level 10: Freezing Rain -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(11)
Level 12: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(25)
Level 14: Hover -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(29)
Level 16: Tenebrous Tentacles -- GrvAnc-Acc/Immob/Rchg(A), GrvAnc-Acc/Rchg(37), GrvAnc-Immob/Rchg(37), GrvAnc-Immob/EndRdx(39), GrvAnc-Hold%(46)
Level 18: Kick -- Empty(A)
Level 20: Tough -- UnbGrd-ResDam(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(33), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(34), GldArm-3defTpProc(34)
Level 22: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(A), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(29), LucoftheG-Def(31), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(31)
Level 24: Afterburner -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 26: Tornado -- OvrFrc-Acc/Dmg(A), OvrFrc-End/Rech(31), OvrFrc-Acc/Dmg/End(33), OvrFrc-Dmg/End/Rech(33), OvrFrc-Acc/Dmg/End/Rech(45), OvrFrc-Dam/KB(45)
Level 28: Torrent -- SuddAcc--KB/+KD(A), FrcFdb-Rechg%(50), CldSns-Acc/Rchg(50), CldSns-%Dam(50)
Level 30: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(34), Ksm-ToHit+(36), Ksm-Def/EndRdx(36)
Level 32: Lightning Storm -- Apc-Dmg(A), Apc-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(36), Apc-Dmg/Rchg(37), Apc-Acc/Rchg(45), Apc-Dam%(46)
Level 35: Charged Armor -- RctArm-ResDam/EndRdx(A), RctArm-ResDam(43), RctArm-ResDam/Rchg(43)
Level 38: Life Drain -- TchoftheN-Heal(A), TchoftheN-Heal/HP/Regen/Rchg(39), TchoftheN-Acc/Heal(39), TchoftheN-Acc/EndRdx/Heal/HP/Regen(40), TchoftheN-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(40), TchoftheN-%Dam(40)
Level 41: Blackstar -- Arm-Dmg(A), Arm-Dmg/Rchg(42), Arm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(42), Arm-Acc/Rchg(42), Arm-Dmg/EndRdx(43), Arm-Dam%(48)
Level 44: Hurricane -- DarWtcDsp-ToHitDeb/EndRdx(A)
Level 47: Conserve Power -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 49: Tactics -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 2: Swift -- Flight-I(A)
Level 2: Health -- Mrc-Rcvry+(A), Pnc-Heal/+End(27)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Jump-I(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- EndMod-I(A), EndMod-I(27)
------------

I like what you've achieved with resists, overall!

A few high level points to examine:

• Gloom is a real missed opportunity. This is a prime damage proc power, and a strong ST attack when procced out.
  • Consider splitting Superior vigilant assault into 3's in two different powers to take advantage of 2 10% recharge bonuses with minimal investment.
  • As Hjarki said, the sixth moonbeam slot isn't doing much for you. Generally, your toxic/psi numbers aren't high enough to make chasing them further matter very much. I would focus these efforts elsewhere. This also applies to your psi resist iOS in steamy mist and your sixth in blackstar.
  • Small optimization - shift 2 of your weave IOs to Shield Wall instead for same enhancement and a beefier +hp bonus
  • Slotting overwhelming force full set in tornado is a bit underwhelming. You are missing base recharge enhancement, as well as the opportunity to slot an achilles or FFback here. Nado is a great place for either/both of these. It is also auto-hit, so accuracy is wasted.
  • Tentacles is primarily a damage power. Spamming it will give you all the duration you need. I don't think the purple bonuses are worth sacrificing slotting it as a damage cone.
  • The second slot in hover does very little. If anything, drop a KB protection IO in here to make up for losing the KB protection in overwhelming force.
  • Hurricane could use some slotting love. It's great, but situational these days. If you're going to use it, I'd recommend slotting it out. You could perhaps do well with base slot only if you switch out for an Enzyme exposure instead.
  • Life Drain is primarily an attack. Feel free to drop in some frankenslotting to buff its heal a bit, but you are missing out by slotting it as a heal.
  • Lightning storm is a great place for the Apoc proc! That's a good choice. I would keep the proc, but consider a set that suits your priorities but also includes end redux. You are going to be chugging end very hard indeed when conserve power is down otherwise.
  • Cytoskeleton for Tactics is always great if you can afford it. Since /Dark doesn't have aim, consider slotting the Gaussian proc here as well - it works very well on teams.
  • I would siphon an extra slot for conserve power.

Edited by Onlyasandwich

1 hour ago, Onlyasandwich said:

• Tentacles is primarily a damage power. Spamming it will give you all the duration you need. I don't think the purple bonuses are worth sacrificing slotting it as a damage cone.
  • Life Drain is primarily an attack. Feel free to drop in some frankenslotting to buff its heal a bit, but you are missing out by slotting it as a heal.

The ST rotation for Dark is generally Dark Blast, Gloom, Dark Blast, Moonbeam - and there's no room for Life Drain.

The reason to use Tentacles as a mule rather than a damage power is that you won't have time to cast it much. Since it has radically different use characteristics than everything else you do (in terms of the Cone range/arc), it makes more sense to use it for set bonuses. Something to keep in mind is that this is a Defender, not a Blaster. Very few of the Blast set powers are worthwhile in themselves - they're really just a mechanism for carrying procs or set bonuses. So if you're not doing the one, you should probably be doing the other.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Onlyasandwich said:

I like what you've achieved with resists, overall!

• Gloom is a real missed opportunity. This is a prime damage proc power, and a strong ST attack when procced out.

I am not as familiar with the sets, any recommendations on which proc enhancements??

• Consider splitting Superior vigilant assault into 3's in two different powers to take advantage of 2 10% recharge bonuses with minimal investment.

That sounds like a good idea.

• As Hjarki said, the sixth moonbeam slot isn't doing much for you. Generally, your toxic/psi numbers aren't high enough to make chasing them further matter very much. I would focus these efforts elsewhere. This also applies to your psi resist iOS in steamy mist and your sixth in blackstar.

Are you saying 5 slots for Blackstar or a different proc?

(I hate psi attacks and put hat in just 5 slot steamy or replace with something else?)

• Small optimization - shift 2 of your weave IOs to Shield Wall instead for same enhancement and a beefier +hp bonus

Are you saying 2 and 2 or 1 LotG and 3 Sheild Wall?

• Slotting overwhelming force full set in tornado is a bit underwhelming. You are missing base recharge enhancement, as well as the opportunity to slot an achilles or FFback here. Nado is a great place for either/both of these. It is also auto-hit, so accuracy is wasted.

So how many slots  do you recommend?  with just the KB/to KD

I have a love hate relationship with tentacles as it is great it keeps mobs in the FRain, but the range is so short...

• The second slot in hover does very little. If anything, drop a KB protection IO in here to make up for losing the KB protection in overwhelming force.\

I just saw this as a way to reduce end on an expensive toggle.

• Hurricane could use some slotting love. It's great, but situational these days. If you're going to use it, I'd recommend slotting it out. You could perhaps do well with base slot only if you switch out for an Enzyme exposure instead.

I love Hurricane while leveling up, but now it is more of a get-out-of jail, or when I want to play with the mobs.  I will try to get an Enzyme HO.  I rarely use it.

I was never impressed with the damage on Lifedrain and was it solely as a self heal power.

• Lightning storm is a great place for the Apoc proc! That's a good choice. I would keep the proc, but consider a set that suits your priorities but also includes end redux. You are going to be chugging end very hard indeed when conserve power is down otherwise

My priorities are recharge, good def and great resistance, mange the end demons, provide good support for team and solo occasionally.

• Cytoskeleton for Tactics is always great if you can afford it. Since /Dark doesn't have aim, consider slotting the Gaussian proc here as well - it works very well on teams.
  • I would siphon an extra slot for conserve power.

I am finding this build difficult to balance.  Advise appreciated.  I play with mids, but I don't really know the set bonuses that well and still trying to figure out optimal.  Just don't have experience with the various purple sets, and could easily overkill something and underwhelm in others.  I do know it is fun to hit freezing rain and jump in with Blackstar for small groups of melting mobs.

16 hours ago, Everwind said:

Advise appreciated.

I put together my approach to Storm Dark.

A few notes on my build:

• Life Drain is axed. Self healing is handled pretty well through the ATO proc in Gloom. It procs a lot! As you noted, Life Drain itself is not super impressive as an attack on a Defender, and if self-heal and muling is its only purpose, I believe slots and picks are better used elsewhere.
  • The Shield ATO proc is strategically placed in Moonbeam to maximize usage.
  • I dropped Tactics. I do think it's useful, but the sacrifice in my mind is worth it in favor of other elements. Freezing Rain, Kismet, and modest global acc should be sufficient in most scenarios.
  • I picked up Dark Pit. Great mule, and actually a very useful power for quickly neutralizing minions once slotted. 
  • O2 is just a mule for the Absorb Proc. I do actually use O2 myself from time to time, but never for its healing ability.  It is very inefficient for healing from both an animation and endurance perspective.
  • I went pretty proc happy on Torrent. You might prefer to siphon those procs to cover some of the "nice to haves" below, or other priorities.

Goals I was shooting for:

• Heavy recharge. It looks like this was a goal you had in mind as well - it's a good one for Storm, which is reliant on some modest cooldown powers light LS and nado.
  • Capped S/L and Energy resist. We're like half a percent shy on S/L, but close enough!
  • As closed to Ranged softcap as possible. 1.75 off! I'll call it close enough as well, especially with all your other mitigation. The sacrifices I saw needed to hit self-softcap were not worth it.

What I would ideally like, but couldn't quite fit:

• A little more range def to officially softcap.
  • A few more procs in Tentacles and Nightfall.
  • A few procs or extra enhancement for Dark Blast.

Essential Stats:

• 93.75 global recharge before hasten.
  • Capped S/L/E resist, pretty modest F/C too!
  • 43.25% ranged defense. At least 30% to everything else.
Spoiler

Storm Dark: Level 50 Technology Defender

Hero Profile:
Level 1: O2 Boost -- Prv-Absorb%(A)
Level 1: Dark Blast -- SprVglAss-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(A), SprVglAss-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(5), SprVglAss-Dmg/Rchg(5)
Level 2: Gloom -- SprDfnBst-Rchg/Heal%(A), SprDfnBst-Acc/Dmg(23), SprDfnBst-Dmg/Rchg(23), SprDfnBst-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(43), SprDfnBst-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(43), SprDfnBst-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(43)
Level 4: Moonbeam -- SprVglAss-Rchg/+Absorb(A), SprVglAss-Acc/Dmg(7), SprVglAss-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(7), StnoftheM-Dam%(9), GldJvl-Dam%(9), CldSns-%Dam(13)
Level 6: Steamy Mist -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), Rct-Def(13), Rct-Def/EndRdx(15), RctArm-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(19), RctArm-ResDam(19), RctArm-ResDam/EndRdx(42)
Level 8: Freezing Rain -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(45)
Level 10: Hover -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), BlsoftheZ-Travel(11), BlsoftheZ-Travel/EndRdx(11), Rct-ResDam%(42), Ksm-ToHit+(46)
Level 12: Hurricane -- HO:Enzym(A)
Level 14: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(15)
Level 16: Tenebrous Tentacles -- Artl-Acc/Dam(A), Artl-Dam/End(17), Artl-Acc/Dam/Rech(17), Bmbdmt-+FireDmg(46)
Level 18: Boxing -- Empty(A)
Level 20: Night Fall -- Artl-Acc/Dam(A), Artl-Dam/End(21), Artl-Acc/Dam/Rech(21), Bmbdmt-+FireDmg(40)
Level 22: Tough -- StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(A), GldArm-3defTpProc(45)
Level 24: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(25), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx(25), ShlWal-Def(36)
Level 26: Tornado -- ExpRnf-Dmg/EndRdx(A), ExpRnf-EndRdx/Dmg/Rchg(27), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(27), ExpRnf-Acc/Rchg(37), CaltoArm-EndRdx/Dmg/Rchg(37), AchHee-ResDeb%(37)
Level 28: Torrent -- OvrFrc-Dam/KB(A), FrcFdb-Rechg%(29), CldSns-%Dam(29), PstBls-Dam%(31), Bmbdmt-+FireDmg(31), ExpStr-Dam%(34)
Level 30: Fly -- BlsoftheZ-ResKB(A), BlsoftheZ-Travel(31)
Level 32: Lightning Storm -- Thn-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(A), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(33), Thn-Dmg/Rchg(33), Apc-Dmg/Rchg(34), Apc-Dam%(33), GldJvl-Dam%(34)
Level 35: Charged Armor -- RctArm-ResDam/EndRdx(A), RctArm-ResDam(36), RctArm-ResDam/Rchg(36)
Level 38: Blackstar -- Arm-Dam%(A), Arm-Dmg/Rchg(39), Arm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(39), Arm-Acc/Rchg(39), Arm-Dmg/EndRdx(40), Erd-%Dam(40)
Level 41: Conserve Power -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(42)
Level 44: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), Rct-Def(45), Rct-Def/EndRdx(46)
Level 47: Dark Pit -- AbsAmz-Acc/Rchg(A), AbsAmz-Acc/Stun/Rchg(48), AbsAmz-EndRdx/Stun(48), AbsAmz-Stun/Rchg(48), AbsAmz-ToHitDeb%(50)
Level 49: Afterburner -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), BlsoftheZ-Travel(50), BlsoftheZ-Travel/EndRdx(50)
Level 10: Shadow Recall -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A), Mrc-Rcvry+(3)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A), PrfShf-EndMod(3)
Level 50: Musculature Radial Paragon 
------------

Edited by Onlyasandwich

I played with this build a bit more, and decided that super proccing Dark Torrent was a bit silly.

• With these changes, we are now officially at ranged softcap, and have a little extra oomph in Dark Blast.
  • To get there, I changed Tentacles to full artillery, which helps its range to better sync the cone with Night fall as well.
  • Nightfall itself is more optimally slotted for damage now. You could shift the one damage proc in Torrent here if you like, but I like the idea of having a healthy smack when casting Torrent.
  • An adventurous soul might think about switching Conserve power with Power Sink. This would create a more consistent end consumption cycle (CP is feast and famine), but would expose you to melee awkwardly, and isn't super compatible with hurricane shenanigans. 
  • Some people like -KB in lightning storm. I actually don't find LS to be a problem, as long as I cast it high. In fact, it can be great to pin groups in the corner hands-free in certain situations.
  • *Edit - realized I forgot the -KB in Tornado! Modified accordingly. Tornado is not at max native recharge enhancement, but I think the procs are more worthwhile here. Also, even maxing it out would only shave off like 2.5 seconds!
Spoiler

Storm Dark: Level 50 Technology Defender

Hero Profile:
Level 1: O2 Boost -- Prv-Absorb%(A)
Level 1: Dark Blast -- SprVglAss-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(A), SprVglAss-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(5), SprVglAss-Dmg/Rchg(5), CldSns-%Dam(34)
Level 2: Gloom -- SprDfnBst-Rchg/Heal%(A), SprDfnBst-Acc/Dmg(23), SprDfnBst-Dmg/Rchg(23), SprDfnBst-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(43), SprDfnBst-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(43), SprDfnBst-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(43)
Level 4: Moonbeam -- SprVglAss-Rchg/+Absorb(A), SprVglAss-Acc/Dmg(7), SprVglAss-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(7), StnoftheM-Dam%(9), GldJvl-Dam%(9), CldSns-%Dam(13)
Level 6: Steamy Mist -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), Rct-Def(13), Rct-Def/EndRdx(15), RctArm-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(19), RctArm-ResDam(19), RctArm-ResDam/EndRdx(42)
Level 8: Freezing Rain -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(45)
Level 10: Hover -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), BlsoftheZ-Travel(11), BlsoftheZ-Travel/EndRdx(11), Rct-ResDam%(42), Ksm-ToHit+(46)
Level 12: Hurricane -- HO:Enzym(A)
Level 14: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(15)
Level 16: Tenebrous Tentacles -- Artl-Acc/Dam(A), Artl-Dam/End(17), Artl-Acc/Dam/Rech(17), Artl-Dam/Rech(31), Artl-Acc/Rech/Rng(31), Artl-End/Rech/Rng(46)
Level 18: Boxing -- Empty(A)
Level 20: Night Fall -- HO:Nucle(A), Rgn-Dmg/EndRdx(21), PstBls-Dam%(21), Bmbdmt-+FireDmg(40)
Level 22: Tough -- StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(A), GldArm-3defTpProc(45)
Level 24: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(25), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx(25), ShlWal-Def(36)
Level 26: Tornado -- SlbAll-Dmg/EndRdx(A), SlbAll-Dmg/Rchg(27), SlbAll-Build%(27), FrcFdb-Rechg%(37), OvrFrc-Dam/KB(37), AchHee-ResDeb%(37)
Level 28: Torrent -- SuddAcc--KB/+KD(A), FrcFdb-Rechg%(29), Bmbdmt-+FireDmg(29)
Level 30: Fly -- BlsoftheZ-ResKB(A), BlsoftheZ-Travel(31)
Level 32: Lightning Storm -- Thn-Dmg/Rchg(A), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx(33), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(33), Apc-Dmg/Rchg(34), GldJvl-Dam%(33), Apc-Dam%(34)
Level 35: Charged Armor -- RctArm-ResDam/EndRdx(A), RctArm-ResDam(36), RctArm-ResDam/Rchg(36)
Level 38: Blackstar -- Arm-Dam%(A), Arm-Dmg/Rchg(39), Arm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(39), Arm-Acc/Rchg(39), Arm-Dmg/EndRdx(40), Erd-%Dam(40)
Level 41: Conserve Power -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(42)
Level 44: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), Rct-Def(45), Rct-Def/EndRdx(46)
Level 47: Dark Pit -- AbsAmz-Acc/Rchg(A), AbsAmz-Acc/Stun/Rchg(48), AbsAmz-EndRdx/Stun(48), AbsAmz-Stun/Rchg(48), AbsAmz-ToHitDeb%(50)
Level 49: Afterburner -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), BlsoftheZ-Travel(50), BlsoftheZ-Travel/EndRdx(50)
Level 10: Shadow Recall -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A), Mrc-Rcvry+(3)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A), PrfShf-EndMod(3)
Level 50: Musculature Radial Paragon 
------------

Edited by Onlyasandwich

Thanks for all your help, this is the build I think I am going to go with.  Very similar in def and a little better in the resistances, especialy toxic and psychic.  Also has a lot more recharge and great ranged defense.  Someone pointed out running agility helps reduce the effectiveness of the procs.   Have not tried it in real play yet. but I think this offers lots of versatility and fits within the theme.

Everwind 3: Level 50 Mutation Defender
Power Pool: Leaping
Ancillary Pool: Soul Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: O2 Boost -- Prv-Heal(A), Prv-Heal/EndRdx(50), Prv-EndRdx/Rchg(50), Prv-Heal/Rchg(50)
Level 1: Dark Blast -- SprVglAss-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(A), SprVglAss-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(3), SprVglAss-Rchg/+Absorb(3)
Level 2: Gloom -- OvrFrc-Acc/Dmg(A), OvrFrc-End/Rech(5), OvrFrc-Acc/Dmg/End(5), OvrFrc-Dmg/End/Rech(7), OvrFrc-Acc/Dmg/End/Rech(7), CldSns-%Dam(9)
Level 4: Fly -- BlsoftheZ-Travel(A), BlsoftheZ-ResKB(13)
Level 6: Steamy Mist -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), GifoftheA-Def(13), GifoftheA-Def/EndRdx(15)
Level 8: Freezing Rain -- UndDfn-Rchg(A), UndDfn-DefDeb(15), UndDfn-DefDeb/Rchg/EndRdx(17), AchHee-ResDeb%(17)
Level 10: Kick -- Empty(A)
Level 12: Hurricane -- DarWtcDsp-ToHitDeb(A), DarWtcDsp-ToHitDeb/Rchg(19), DarWtcDsp-ToHitdeb/Rchg/EndRdx(19), DarWtcDsp-Rchg/EndRdx(21)
Level 14: Tough -- StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(A), StdPrt-ResDam/EndRdx(21), UnbGrd-Max HP%(23), UnbGrd-ResDam(23)
Level 16: Tenebrous Tentacles -- Artl-Acc/Dam(A), Artl-Dam/End(25), Artl-Dam/Rech(25), Artl-Acc/Dam/Rech(27), Artl-Acc/Rech/Rng(27), Artl-End/Rech/Rng(29)
Level 18: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), GifoftheA-Def(29), GifoftheA-Def/EndRdx(31)
Level 20: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(31)
Level 22: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), Ksm-ToHit+(31), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(33)
Level 24: Moonbeam -- StnoftheM-Acc/Dmg(A), StnoftheM-Dmg/EndRdx(33), StnoftheM-Acc/ActRdx/Rng(33), StnoftheM-Dam%(34), StnoftheM-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(34)
Level 26: Tornado -- SprVglAss-Acc/Dmg(A), SprVglAss-Dmg/Rchg(34), SprVglAss-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(36), SuddAcc--KB/+KD(36), AchHee-ResDeb%(36), TchofLadG-%Dam(37)
Level 28: Torrent -- SuddAcc--KB/+KD(A), FrcFdb-Rechg%(37)
Level 30: Hover -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 32: Lightning Storm -- Apc-Dmg(A), Apc-Dmg/Rchg(37), Apc-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(39), Apc-Acc/Rchg(39), Apc-Dmg/EndRdx(39), Apc-Dam%(40)
Level 35: Life Drain -- Thn-Acc/Dmg(A), Thn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(40), Thn-Dmg/Rchg(40)
Level 38: Blackstar -- Arm-Dmg/Rchg(A), Arm-Dam%(42), Arm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(42), Arm-Acc/Rchg(42), Arm-Dmg/EndRdx(43), Arm-Dmg(43)
Level 41: Soul Drain -- Erd-Acc/Rchg(A), Erd-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(43), Erd-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(45)
Level 44: Dark Embrace -- GldArm-End/Res(A), GldArm-RechRes(45), GldArm-RechEnd(45), GldArm-Res/Rech/End(46), GldArm-ResDam(46), GldArm-3defTpProc(46)
Level 47: Soul Storm -- BslGaz-Acc/Hold(A), BslGaz-Acc/Rchg(48), BslGaz-Rchg/Hold(48), BslGaz-EndRdx/Rchg/Hold(48)
Level 49: Power Boost -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 2: Health -- NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(A), Mrc-Rcvry+(9), Pnc-Heal/+End(11)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A), PrfShf-EndMod(11)
Level 49: Quick Form 
Level 50: Agility Partial Core Revamp 
Level 50: Portal Jockey 
Level 50: The Atlas Medallion 
------------

| Copy & Paste this data into Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer to view the build |
|-------------------------------------------------------------------|
|MxDz;1503;724;1448;HEX;|
|78DA65944B6813511486EF6426CDB32FDBA6CFF4656BDBB49D669A0A3E11FA50B0A|
|D1403EE244433ADC13413A6896D972EDC888ABA7125BA501115973E9616C195A858|
|15A43E4017B55A7521880B89A7F31FD3C20C09DFE43FE7DCFB9F3377323E37ECBFB|
|BEFE41E21950CA5E23333B1617D524F2774D33D9ECBC6B349232DE8F28E9CD0CDD9|
|643AD11C71D1CFE0FFA4D8606E72528D660D733A16CD4D4F1BE9647AAAAE103D184|
|F4FE90975386E1E8F0DD2EA59E19B308C94BA37959C3A962DC6FDDA2D5579AD5FD1|
|8CAE27FCD6ED981ECF905E3F92491E55870CD3CC65689F58D4C8A562E3B4966ECED|
|790972EFA9E7608BEF2B2589685D014A17D61AE30BF82D7D6731D22A2589A6380B9|
|15BC4E3912729CD212EA9477CCF760D107E647D0BD4C454145F86840326A25F9ADC|
|38AF997C03304A784BD9D5512626E6287224A14F02CE5B89023BB9EA0AE64012C7B|
|CC7C44AC20BFB497077B094F9E2E718E023E9E84EF1EB237DD673E002B1F8232551|
|7F34EC5D592E5BE320006FEC8969BC02F7477934A4A7922A5B2D3D26A14A613AC2B|
|62BAC00637A8D03EE5DC753977DDC05D3772D7AD9453811CA9A29BA07944233340B|
|12AAEAFE2FAC6BFC2F2D93C0A7F37C85F357294EA67C2D29A9F335F802D8BCC97E0|
|79AAA9E59E6AC378F22D1AB8B99FF989C9136F7B8AD9DD22D4B3DF7ACE693B85988|
|7FC06111341F67B81424DBC57530FF2DA7AC12D2AB38F19063B34F036A1954F6CEB|
|6578EFB8CABC02DEA19C765EBF7D3BEABA763377307782A15DCC6DE02C8DB053B8A|
|CF53B57708A43DFC09E55708E72BAD193B35BC3CC7B069811B037CCEC63F683F304|
|95CFA4BA88F5FA5E315F33DF809FFD4284F94487F9F937288537963E6BA77CCCA61|
|C5853E02F3FA114DE5E2159D1552F29D246E5C7BAE2900EE119B9F7E32C7A5BE0FB|
|BBADEAE7BA224997303DEF45703454709EFF1D2089DD1CA61A8DF5231BEE43B61EC|
|23645B329119B3260533C65857FA0FC3FF791FB3B|
|-------------------------------------------------------------------|
Edited by Everwind

12 hours ago, Everwind said:

the build

Looks like you retained ranged softcap! That will go a long way for your survival no matter what other differences are at play.

• Personally, I would value capped Energy resist over a smattering of toxic and small psi resist. Ranged defense will handle the majority of psi damage anyhow.
  • The recharge is roughly the same as the build I provided, minus the difference in Alpha choice.
  • To achieve this small Psi and moderate toxic resist, you have sacrificed a lot of damage.

Please don't take my notes a too critically - everyone has their own playstyle and preference. I do have a few observations on this iteration:

• Power Boost doesn't really do anything at all in this build. If anything, you could grab Afterburner as a one-slot lotg mule. It actually a fun power too.
  • The PM proc is very strong defensively - I would recommend switching one of the other PMs in O2 out for it.
  • Soul drain in Soul Mastery is twice the recharge of the version in Dark Mastery. Still a nice prelude to Nuke, but definitely less value than you might expect.
  • The gloom slotting is kinda weird. If you're going for these sorts of bonuses, a three slot thunderstrike with a few procs or frankenslots would be stronger and have the same meaningful bonuses.
  • You are lacking the reactive defense +res scaling IO. If resist is a priority, this is one of the best ways to gain it across the board.
  • Storm is an end hog! You can probably run just fine if you pick Ageless, but exemping might catch you sucking wind at times. Honestly, even Conserve power in the other build isn't a perfect solution - this is just sort of something you learn to live with on storm.

Ultimately, you'll be the best judge of what's fun for you! Get out there and blow some mobs around while tentacles devour them.

On 2/11/2021 at 2:06 PM, Onlyasandwich said:

Looks like you retained ranged softcap! That will go a long way for your survival no matter what other differences are at play.

• Personally, I would value capped Energy resist over a smattering of toxic and small psi resist. Ranged defense will handle the majority of psi damage anyhow.
  • The recharge is roughly the same as the build I provided, minus the difference in Alpha choice.
  • To achieve this small Psi and moderate toxic resist, you have sacrificed a lot of damage.

Please don't take my notes a too critically - everyone has their own playstyle and preference. I do have a few observations on this iteration:

• Power Boost doesn't really do anything at all in this build. If anything, you could grab Afterburner as a one-slot lotg mule. It actually a fun power too.
  • The PM proc is very strong defensively - I would recommend switching one of the other PMs in O2 out for it.
  • Soul drain in Soul Mastery is twice the recharge of the version in Dark Mastery. Still a nice prelude to Nuke, but definitely less value than you might expect.
  • The gloom slotting is kinda weird. If you're going for these sorts of bonuses, a three slot thunderstrike with a few procs or frankenslots would be stronger and have the same meaningful bonuses.
  • You are lacking the reactive defense +res scaling IO. If resist is a priority, this is one of the best ways to gain it across the board.
  • Storm is an end hog! You can probably run just fine if you pick Ageless, but exemping might catch you sucking wind at times. Honestly, even Conserve power in the other build isn't a perfect solution - this is just sort of something you learn to live with on storm.

Ultimately, you'll be the best judge of what's fun for you! Get out there and blow some mobs around while tentacles devour them.

Thanks for your feedback.  I have played with him a little and as long as I am not running hurricane end is not much of a problem.  I agree on switching out power boost for afterburner, I miss the power.  I am happy with the Gloom slotting at the moment, but I did replace the cloud sense with the 6th Over chance to kd. That works great.  My only real complaint is my ACC seems to have suffered a little bit.

Damage is a little meh as far as killing speed, but they do seem to die.

I am paranoid about toxic and psychic damage types.  

The hold in Soul while a slow activation, is helpful and I am glad I added back tentacles.

Edited by Everwind