Crashing on a New Laptop

alenesse

Hi, 

I recently bought the Asus Zephyrus G15 (AMD Ryzen 9 5900HS/RTX 3070/16GB RAM), and I'm getting crashes to desktop every few minutes or so. I lowered graphics settings to recommended and it cut it out, but as soon as I went back above that, the crashing started again. Any thoughts on what might be causing this?

Thanks in advance!

Update: was just doing some more testing and it crashed on recommended.

Edited by alenesse

Make sure all your drivers are up to date.  Nvidia GeForece Now for graphics, Asus Armory Crate is the usual method for the laptop chipset, but be sure to also check your Windows Updates to see if you are missing anything there; Settings -> Updates & Security -> Check for Updates.

Edited by Ura Hero
  • Like 1

Thanks. Just double-checked, everything is up to date. I've been able to play Star Wars Battlefront II and AC: Odyssey since posting for an hour or so each with no issues, so must be CoH specific. May try to muck around with some compatibility options. 

I had frequent crashes with COH on Homecoming at launch on Tequila.  I just muddled through as I had messages (random graphic driver file is out of memory).  I would even go between a C:\coh, coh2, coh3 directories to proactively remove and reinstall the client fresh and that helped some but some days not really and the crashes continued.  When the 64 bit client came out my problems were GREATLY reduced (like 95%).  With the Homecoming client and no more Tequila the problem is now eliminated.  

"She who lives by the cybernetic monstrosity powered by living coral, all too often dies by the cybernetic monstrosity powered by living coral."  -Doc Buzzsaw

Pineapple 🍍 Pizza 🍕 is my thumbs up. 

For anyone who finds this topic via web search, I have played a few uninterrupted, multi-hour sessions without crashing.

The solution to my problem was to play in the “performance” preset instead of “turbo” in Armoury Crate. Not sure why this worked, but if you Google around you’ll see that desktop 3070s have been struggling with old games and the solution has been to reduce power draw. I had a hunch that this might do something similar. Seems to have worked. 

Will update if I start crashing again. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1