Crits and DoTs

Xandyr

It's a mix of it depends.

For the most part, powers that have DoT as it's damage will work normally but the crit damage occurs as the summation of the whole DoT in one instance of damage.

So for example, incinerate from Fiery Melee will just apply it's original DoT on top of a big instance of Crit Damage. If incin does 25 fire damage over 5 seconds, then it'll do 25 fire damage over 5 seconds plus 25 damage on the initial hit if it crits.

The exceptions are powers that have DoTs that are outside of the damage formula. Greater Fire Sword for example has a 80% chance for additional fire damage. This DoT is not included as part of the powers original damage as DoTs tacked on this way exist outside of the damage formula. So an example of how this would work:

Greater Fire Sword say does 15 lethal and 20 fire damage. 80% chance for 5 ticks of 4 fire damage. On a crit it'll just be 35 fire damage (the 15 + 20 combined) and still the 80% for 5 ticks of fire damage.

Edited by Ratch_
  • Like 2

Secondary Powers for scrappers can not crit. Someone would have to provide some insight if lightning rod from electric melee crits but as far as I know a psuedopet can 100% crit as long as it's coded to do so.

Irradiated Ground from rad melee is a pseudopet that can crit. Sorry, but I haven't actually done electric melee on a scrapper yet - hopefully someone else can pop in here and answer if lightning rod can crit.

For more clarity: Primary + Pool + Epic powers can crit, but pool powers from my testing don't seem to benefit from the +50% critical strikes ATO.

Edited by Ratch_

10 minutes ago, Xandyr said:

Innocuous Strikes hits like 7 times. So if it crits , would all 7 hits crit, or just the first ?

The total damage dealt in those hits would be added up and tacked on as a single instance of damage on a crit.

https://cod.cohcb.com/html/power.html?power=scrapper_melee.staff_fighting.innocuous_strikes&at=scrapper

Breakdown:

20.7704 points of Smashing damage (all affected targets) every 0.4s for 1.7s (100% chance)
-> On a crit:
20.7704 points of Smashing damage (all affected targets) every 0.4s for 1.7s (100% chance) + 103.8521 points of Smashing damage (all affected targets) (5-10% chance)

Edited by Ratch_

I've been a bit weary at making a broad statement such as this since it leaves me open to being wrong to exceptions but here would be a general rule of thumb about this and DoTs that crit.

If a power with a DoT does a big chunk of it's damage at the start then more than likely it's DoT won't be included with the crit damage. If it's all DoT then it'll be summed and added onto the power as a big instance of damage.

potentially barring exceptions, i don't know all the powers in the game 🙂