Grappling?

APBWOLF

I noticed a distinct lack of it... which is weird. o_O

Have your character do an animation, enable 'snap-to' and 'ragdoll' for the enemy, and then have your character do another animation.

Maybe even a grab/hold, and then decide what attack you want to use.

The target you grabbed is stunned, you gain slight damage resistance, and if you don't decide on an attack, it runs out, and the enemy is free.

Some for single targets, some will turn the target you grab into an Self AoE... by slamming them on the ground hard enough.

I'm thinking of some epic, super-powered atomic piledrivers into a group of other enemies XD

Edited by APBWOLF

• 8 months later
On 4/6/2021 at 2:48 PM, APBWOLF said:

I'm thinking of some epic, super-powered atomic piledrivers into a group of other enemies

That would be a beautiful thing, but I'm not sure how possible it would be for the game engine.  But I would love nothing better than to play some epic wrestling brute and go suplex Lord Nemesis.

On 4/6/2021 at 2:48 PM, APBWOLF said:

I noticed a distinct lack of it... which is weird. o_O

Have your character do an animation, enable 'snap-to' and 'ragdoll' for the enemy, and then have your character do another animation.

Maybe even a grab/hold, and then decide what attack you want to use.

The target you grabbed is stunned, you gain slight damage resistance, and if you don't decide on an attack, it runs out, and the enemy is free.

Some for single targets, some will turn the target you grab into an Self AoE... by slamming them on the ground hard enough.

I'm thinking of some epic, super-powered atomic piledrivers into a group of other enemies XD

I don't think this is possible in engine as it stands.

If I understand what I know of the game correctly, Internally, every attack - be it melee, projectile, PBAoE, whatever - is handled by drawing a line between you and the target, and then playing an animation on both ends if a hit is scored assuming another animation doesn't override it.  Even when you're punching an enemy with haymaker, at no point does your character ever truly 'interact' with the enemy.  Only the 'invisible projectile' of your attack intersects with the opponent's hitbox.  It's the assigned range of attacks, plus their animations, that give the illusion of making physical contact.  Interactive animations actually don't exist.

This is why you get things like homing boulders.  If the game could draw a valid LoS line to the target and rolled a hit on the to-hit roll, that attack is going to hit, no matter what, no matter what happens from the point of the attack being determined and the point of the animation making 'contact' with the target.  That target to could teleport halfway to Saturn and still get hit.  Similarly, for long animation powers like Knockout Blow or Total Focus, an enemy could beeline out of range and halfway down the block, but if the attack was valid when the LoS line was drawn and the to-hit roll said 'hit' they'll still get mangled even if they're down the street by the time you physically swing.

Edited by Nerva
Misspellings

Beyond that, it would kind of take going through every character model in the game and drawing the grapples in. You can't use the same animation for your Eight Foot tall Tiger to grapple a targeting drone and the Kronos Titan. Or devouring earth swarms, eminators, and Mitocondria. Every game I can think of that uses grapple mechanics has rather limited character creation options. (Yes, wrestling games have costume options, but from what I can tell, the height ranges are between 5 and 7 feet).