Rolling a /Device Blaster! Help me choose a primary?

Crowcus Pocus

Hey'all. I've decided that I want to roll a /dev blaster, and I'm curious to see if anyone has feedback on the following combos:

Energy/Dev

Dark/Dev

Atomic/Dev

I'm perfectly aware that none of the above are FOTM combos and that's exactly why I know I'll enjoy them. Not sure if it will influence your opinion but I play on a server where getting PvP IOs is unrealistic. So, I'll most likely build a non-purple, non-pvp IO toon.

Thanks guys.

Warning: This post may contain an opinion.

It's worth noting that PvP IOs can come from pretty much any source of recipie drops if you're worried about that, and that all shards share the market (I think) so market availability and price doesn't really change.

Otherwise I can't reall speak for the combos.  I would assume Dark would probably have the best survival rate though with all the -ToHit you can do and Energy would be fun keeping things on their asses.  Radiation will likely never have trouble landing hits with the -def on everything plus your Targeting Drone, but the set is lacking in the mitigation that Dark or Energy would offer, at least until Atomic Blast with the Hold on anything that would survive.

Currently playing on Indomitable as @Zork Nemesis; was a Protector native on live.

Rad blast allows for a lot of options for -res procs. Dark blast has a heal, and thdb which since you'll have smoke that synergizes well. Energy has KB, but that can be fixed with KB to KD. I normally don't think KB is an issue but devices want mobs bunched on caltrops and bombs.

Given those three primaries I'd go Dark personally. If you're going devices, build in teleport to get fold space, you won't regret it.

6 hours ago, ZorkNemesis said:

It's worth noting that PvP IOs can come from pretty much any source of recipie drops if you're worried about that, and that all shards share the market (I think) so market availability and price doesn't really change.

Otherwise I can't reall speak for the combos.  I would assume Dark would probably have the best survival rate though with all the -ToHit you can do and Energy would be fun keeping things on their asses.  Radiation will likely never have trouble landing hits with the -def on everything plus your Targeting Drone, but the set is lacking in the mitigation that Dark or Energy would offer, at least until Atomic Blast with the Hold on anything that would survive.

Thanks ZM. I'm aware of how easy it is to get PvP IOs on Homecoming. But this specific character will be made on a different server, which uses the same loot drop rules as live. So, PvP IOs are much harder to get - even if you afk farm.

5 hours ago, SeraphimKensai said:

Rad blast allows for a lot of options for -res procs. Dark blast has a heal, and thdb which since you'll have smoke that synergizes well. Energy has KB, but that can be fixed with KB to KD. I normally don't think KB is an issue but devices want mobs bunched on caltrops and bombs.

Given those three primaries I'd go Dark personally. If you're going devices, build in teleport to get fold space, you won't regret it.

Cheers SK! Yeah, I was leaning towards Energy or Dark. I might just go with Dark since I never played it on a Blaster. The server I'll be playing on doesn't have the revamped Teleport pool, unfortunately, but I'll make it work nevertheless.

Warning: This post may contain an opinion.