so i made my first char ever a controller

mitu

That's totally normal at early levels. Best advice I can give you is have some patience. This class is a late bloomer compared to some others. At early levels, picking up the prestige attacks off the P2W vendor will make life much, much easier, outside of grouping up with others. Overall though, it is a very powerful class later on, but you are mainly supporting others by locking down the baddies or buffing/debuffing the group.

Probably the only controller type that can kill stuff fast early is gravity.  They have some killer single target attacks in lift and propel.  Other sets tend to be later bloomers, so yes that's normal.

Mind and Ill aren't bad either. Dark at least gets temp pets at 18 which will help.

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."