powexec_auto could use some improvements

So there's a few things, but they're all related to autoattacks...

First off, on the visual side, could we change the color of either the autoattack ring or the green ring for Sentinels? I think changing the Sentinel ring would be less disruptive to the game overall, since autoattack is on all ATs.

Now onto commands for use in binds/macros:

1) powexec_auto_slot & powexec_auto_tray commands would be tremendously helpful. They wouldn't allow us to do anything we can't already, but they would allow us to do it with far fewer character specific keybinds if we are content to simply put the powers we wish to set to auto in the same places on the power trays across different alts.

2) powexec_auto_location <location> <powername> would also be helpful. One of the more useful function of powexec_auto in keybinds is combining it with powexec_name to trigger one power, and set off another (usually slower) if/when it is ready. Not all, but many of the area powers for which we use powexec_location are fairly slow... Caltrops, Rain of Arrows, and so on. But as is, the auto power always has to be paired with an often slower location power, which is just awkward timing in keybinds. We can get the job done as is, but if we could set location powers to auto in a bind/macro, we could get the job done more elegantly.

I use powexec_auto mostly to trigger support powers with long recharges, such as Hasten, Energize, Domination, Master/Practiced Brawler, Instant Healing and other click-heals, etc.  I very rarely ever do it with attack powers, unless I'm working on a specific AV/GM, because attack powers usually recharge pretty quickly or mobs die too quickly or I don't want to automatically fire while I'm cycling thru potential targets with the tab key.

I do agree that changing the ring color would be nice, especially now that so many other powers/combos have rings.  Setting the ring color for powexec_auto to cyan would be a nice touch to distinguish it from other powers with rings (such as the snipes and combos).

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer

Just some random observations:

In a decade of playing and messing with binds and power controls, I've never found powexec_auto of much use, not when an auto power is pretty much a "fire and forget" setting and it more or less has its own built-in bind of Ctrl-Click. A bind or macro to call it seems... rather convoluted.

I have found it useful in the "perma auto powers" setup where movement keys trigger toggles; using powexec_auto to trip an auto power that might have gotten canceled is the first worthwhile application I've seen. (ByTheWay... anyone NOT using the perma-power-toggle setup is just leavin' money on the table. IMVHO.)

And maybe I'm just super-adept at it or something, but I don't really get the complaint of "having to write a bind for every single alt I roll"... really? If you use binds, a tweaked generic file to load most of your preferences, with a quick tweak in Notepad++ or the like for each, doesn't seem like the biggest hurdle in setting up a new alt.

But maybe that's all just me. 🙂

ETA: the notion of an auto-attack AOE can be accomplished with the "perma auto powers" process and a few tweaks; maybe a bind to toggle the action on and off. Just use powexec_location and a movement activation bind. The on/off bind could work by overwriting a key rollover file.

ETA2: the new powexec_location cursor command could be used, too; fire power instantly at whatever the cursor is pointing at. FANTASTIC for teleport powers.

Edited by Shenanigunner

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com