can we get consistency with fold space location?

Fold Space is a really cool power but also there doesn't seem to be any consistency as to where the mobs are pulled to. Sometimes they're in front of me. Sometimes they're behind me. Sometimes they're in what appears to be a single file line. Sometimes they're in a clump around me. I have fold space on my /devices and it seems super fun to pull them into my mines like that except... it seems completely random as to where they go?

Idk. would be cool if they just all spawned as close to my location as possible or something (if we are intent on keeping it a PBAoE to not step on the toes of Wormhole).

• Like 1

• 2 months later

I was against the implementation of this power (as a part of the broader changes to the TP pool), but it’s here to stay and the OP has a valid point. Is there something in the game code that prevents it from just pulling things in a straight line towards you, and stacking them in concentric rings of hit boxes ?

Edited by dtj714

I suspect the actual code is trying to pull them to your exact location, and letting the game's collision detection arrange them wherever from there which doesn't consistently put them in any particular spot. To get it to stack things consistently in one spot or relative to their former position would thus require new code to be written that could end up being quite complex. Which is not to say it's impossible, just that getting consistent positioning out of it may be a lot more effort than you're possibly assuming.

• Like 1

When life gives you lemonade, make lemons. Life will be all like "What?"

[Admin] Emperor Marcus Cole: STOP!
[Admin] Emperor Marcus Cole: WAIT ONE SECOND!
[Admin] Emperor Marcus Cole: WHAT IS A SEAGULL DOING ON MY THRONE!?!?

Yep, I have a feeling the logic is "draw a line FROM the target to the caster, stop when collision is encountered."  I think this just does weird things with the power's check on where you are and the server's check.  

The occasional forced line dance is a bit weirder, but always amuses me.

I'm instead having trouble with their arrival timing. I've read other people saying that because they all try to exist in the same spot for a moment, a queued cone hits them all. But I've had no luck with this. I've also tried folding into Drain Psyche, and it's surprisingly easy to activate too soon and drain nothing.