EMP/DP Defender - Asking for help with a solid Build

Bananiac

Hi folks,

I am asking the professionals here for a little help with making the New Love Of My Life be a little bit more robust and self-sustainable.

She is already greatly entertaining and a pleasure to watch, but I have come to a point (and aquired the funds) where I'd like to take a bit more systematic approach. And I am hopelessly in over my head with trying to piece it together.

I created a framework of what I would like to be using in terms of powers/powersets. And some boundary conditions regarding my playstyle and what I like and don't:

• Main Take: I am playing now mostly in kinda Repeat Offender style, applying pistols more heavily than empathy (which I guess is not unusual late game for anything EMP). But I still also like to function as a serious Buff Machine, throwing in a heal or rez where needed.
  • This build is mainly intended for late/end game content ~lvl40+ and incarnate. No solo requirements, I like to be in teams. Plan to do something able to level down nicely with a 2nd build. And maybe then something with pure solo focus on a 3rd. But that is for the future.
  • I read that EMP benefits greatly from (global) recharge, and Pistols are proccable nicely (intention to boost dmg output?). I am not sure how well that gets along with requirements for Def/Res/End optimization... but I am probably not able to go full soft/hardcaps anyway in the short run

Here is my intended setup:

This Hero build was built using Mids Reborn 3.0.4.7
https://github.com/Reborn-Team/MidsReborn

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Flying Nightingale (unslotted): Level 49 Mutation Defender
Primary Power Set: Empathy
Secondary Power Set: Dual Pistols
Power Pool: Flight
Power Pool: Teleportation
Power Pool: Fighting
Power Pool: Leadership
Ancillary Pool: Psychic Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Healing Aura -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Pistols -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Heal Other -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Empty Clips -- Empty(A)
Level 6: Fly -- Empty(A)
Level 8: Hover -- Empty(A)
Level 10: Clear Mind -- Empty(A)
Level 12: Dual Wield -- Empty(A)
Level 14: Fortitude -- Empty(A)
Level 16: Swap Ammo 
Level 18: Recovery Aura -- Empty(A)
Level 20: Resurrect -- Empty(A)
Level 22: Bullet Rain -- Empty(A)
Level 24: Teleport Target -- Empty(A)
Level 26: Kick -- Empty(A)
Level 28: Tough -- Empty(A)
Level 30: Weave -- Empty(A)
Level 32: Suppressive Fire -- Empty(A)
Level 35: Dominate -- Empty(A)
Level 38: Hail of Bullets -- Empty(A)
Level 41: Mind Over Body -- Empty(A)
Level 44: Executioner's Shot -- Empty(A)
Level 47: Maneuvers -- Empty(A)
Level 49: Adrenalin Boost -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Vigilance 
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Swift -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Health -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run 
Level 16: Chemical Ammunition 
Level 16: Cryo Ammunition 
Level 16: Incendiary Ammunition 
------------

Some more points to consider:

• Hover/Fly and Teleport Target is non-negotiable b/c Theme.  
  • I like the 2 Psychic Mastery powers, so I'd like to keep that
  • I will have a hard time to part with any more of the DP powers (*sob*... Piercing Rounds...), but I understand that Dual Wield could be on the kill list to make room for let's say Regen Aura or Maneuvers...
  • I use Recov Aura basically as a self-buff (one of the few powers that work on yourself), as I am frequently troubled with endurance. Other means can maybe mitigate this?

I can muster about 500mil for this. Not enough for a full-blown all-star Purples and PVPs build,  but should be good for SOMETHING...

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Looking forward to you guys going wild!

Thx!

Bananiac

That incident involving a nuclear accelerator and a banana… You know… I REALLY don't wanna talk about it!

Very briefly for now with caveat -> I'm limited to this phone for internet so I can't create and upload or download to look at anything in Mids.

For HA, HO, RegenAura and AB I'm going to use either Doctored Wounds or Panacea probably to 5 slots (recharge set bonus).  One of the powers will get 6 slots to hold a full set of Preventative Medicine (HA or HO doesn't really matter).

Probably doesn't matter but whatever passes for my OCD wants to swap Fort and Dual Wield.  Can't think of any exemplar reason why it would matter. There's a bazillion ways to slot up Fortitude.  Anywhere from 3 slots to a full 6.  Really comes down to where you really need those slots to be.

Recovery Aura -> my preferred slotting is 2 endmod/recharge and 1 recharge IO.  The base buff is huge though and you could easily trim it to a pair of recharge IOs (any and all of which could be boosted to +5)

Clear Mind -> present in build.  Doesn't really matter what's put in the base slot.  I've often used a range enhancement as there's always someone waaaaay over there it seems like.  But yeah merely having it and using it is the important thing here.

Resurrect -> if/when I take it I usually recommend putting an endred in the base slot.  Reason is because seems like when things go sideways that's also when your RA is down and your own blue bar might be struggling to pay the 26 end the power needs so add this to the savings Vigilance is giving you.

And AP skipped -> which works for me.

Things I'd probably try to change up barring theme and concept reasons.

1. Move AB to 32 or at least a whole lot closer.  It's a t9 worthy of the title.
  2. Hasten.  I'd really miss the 70% recharge buff of perma Hasten as Empaths really like that recharge for those Auras.
  3. I'd take Assault over Maneuvers as a one slot wonder.  Heck given it is the only Leadership taken I'd probably drop it for Hasten.  But I really want my Assault and Tactics ideally.

Back later.  Been way too long since I leveled a DP character so hopefully someone else will drop by.

• Thanks 1

Thanks a lot for your assessment. I have completely forgotten about hasten, will be substituting that in for something.

Hoping you can still come up with a proposal of how to slot this. 👏

That incident involving a nuclear accelerator and a banana… You know… I REALLY don't wanna talk about it!

Unfortunately the reason I'm on this phone is the computer died so until replaced I'm out of luck posting any specific builds.   The Empathy powers I covered above but I'll add some more detail below.

About mitigation (defense, resistance etc.).  Back on Live and here on HC until the computer went belly up my builds for teaming had essentially no defense.  They're all about the recharge.  Mitigation comes from, in no particular order, teammates, inspires, epic shields if any, HA and keeping those Auras on as little cool down as possible (around 40 seconds iirc).  My first GM, an Emp/Rad/Dark also included the Eye of Magus, Air Superiority plus Cosmic Burst+OG to keep things either wobbly or Knocked Up.  Could pretty much keep a pair of +3/+4 bosses out of action while Regen Aura kept her healthy.

Healing Aura and Heal Other -> I'd aim for 6 slots in one and 5 slots in the other as I'm looking for 2 things primarily beyond strong healing.  First is the set bonus for recharge.  In Doctored Wounds and Panacea that is the 5th slot in those sets.  In Preventative Medicine it's the 6th slot.  Second is Preventative Medicine's special global proc for +Absorb.  The one you 5 slot gets either Doctored Wounds (less expensive) or Panacea (expensive).  The power with 6 slots gets Preventative Medicine.  

Absorb Pain -> I've  only picked it once a long time ago.  I definitely skip it these days.

Resurrect  ->  very optional.  If taken I recommend just the base slot and place an endred enhancement.  I would not use a recharge reduction as even with hard capped global recharge it's no where near fast enough for teams to want wait around while it recharges.  

Clear Mind -> nothing really to add.  Base slot good to go.  Pick early and keep in mind when various armor sets gain their mez protection.

Fortitude -> take at 12th.

Minimum 3 slots - LotG def/inc recharge + 2 Membrane HO; 4 slots - 4 LotG set; up to 6 slots 5 Red Fort + LotG def/inc rech and several other variants often by adding To Hit sets like Gaussian's to fill out to 6 slots from 3 or 4 slots.  Without Tactics in the build I'd be more likely to fit in To Hit buffs.

Recovery Aura  -> I personally like to slot with very similar amounts of recharge to that of RegenAura so they have roughly the same run time and cool down.  Basically always use together, one less thing to have to track.

Regeneration Aura  -> Doctored Wounds or Panacea whichever fits the budget.  5 slots.

Adrenaline Boost  -> same as RegenAura.  Used to 6 slot with the 6th being an Endmod enhancement set IO (Endmod/recharge typically) which would put it over +1000% recovery but with crashless Nukes *shrug*.

It's possible to trim quite a few slots if really needed out of the above usually at the cost of recharge set bonuses. 

That leaves you with pools for Fly, Speed, Teleport and Leadership?  And Psy Mastery.

• Like 1

Great, thank you! I will give it a try now in MIDS and see if I can peel out something workable, when I find some time to dig into this.

• Thumbs Up 1